Cataracts?

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
yubman
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Cataracts?

Postby yubman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:56 am

Hi all,

It's been a few years since I'd been on the boards. Last night while letting our flyers (Beacon and Bexley) out to run around I thought the light reflected weirdly from Bexley's left eye. I tried to catch up with the little booger to check, but he was chasing Beacon around the cloths hanging on a coat tree. They then settled into the pockets of a pair of pants so instead of rousting them I just moved the pants back to thier closet for the night.

This morning I decided to check up on them before leaving for work and I think Bexley's left eye is clouding over! I'm so upset. I'm not sure when it started, as the both of them are usually pretty sleepy during winters these days http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6964. He's acting normal, is there anything that I should be doing?

tony

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Cataracts?

Postby Joan » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:30 am

yubman wrote:... He's acting normal, is there anything that I should be doing?

Tony, flyers do get cataracts and I know of nothing that can be done. I've know flyers to become blind from cataracts in both eyes and still do well as long as their cage isn't changed around. I'll ask the ER team to take a look at you post in case they have other ideas about what may be going on.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:51 am

Hi,

I've had this experience a couple of times with wild flyers that have come in for rehab. It will really take a vet's exam to be sure, but it sounds very much like a fungal infection in the cornea. It can be treated with a perscription opthalmic drug called Natamycin ointment. The beauty of Natamycin is that it is an antibiotic and anti-fungal preparation. Treatment takes at least 21 days.

I don't know of any OTC meds save to use in the eye, but maybe David has some ideas.

Best of luck,
peep

Who is about to release the last 4 flyers of her fall rescues!!!
State and Federal permit holder

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:25 am

Thanks Joan and Peep for getting back to me.

Peep -- Do you know quickly a possible fungal infection can cause harm? (Not that I'm willing to risk Bexley's health at all!) I'm currently in a flyer unfriendly state and will need to make arraingments to get to a vet that would be safe to see him.

DinNorman
NFSA Member

Postby DinNorman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 pm

Eye cloudiness can be one of two things. Cataracts, which is clouding of the lens INSIDE the eye. The other thing is cloudy or opaque cornea which is the outer most window into the eye. Corneal opacitiy can sometimes be treated successfully. True cataracts cannot, other than surgery; Which I have never seen that anyone has done this on a rodent. A veterinarian can offer hope if it is the cornea.
David

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:29 am

Thanks David, I've got an appointment Monday afternoon with Dr Todd in NJ as Laura recommended him from the recommended exotic vets list:

The Rock's Laura wrote:Joan, please add the vet I took Rockie to today. He's wonderful.

Dr. Todd Wolf
Companion Animal Hospital
460 Route 46 West
Parsippany, NJ 07054
Tele: 973-227-7500

I'll let you all know how Bexley's doing once he's checked out. I figure if I have to drive out of state, I might as well drag Beacon along for a checkup as well.

yubman
Flying Furball

Postby yubman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:32 pm

Hi all, just got back from the vet. Turns Bexleys suffering from lenticular sclerosis, not an infection or cataracts at this time.

Dr Todd noted that his vision will be hazy, and depending if it progresses to both eyes he may go blind in time.

Thanks everyone for the responses, this forum is a life saver.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:07 pm

yubman wrote:... Turns Bexleys suffering from lenticular sclerosis, not an infection or cataracts at this time.

Thanks for the report Tony. Interesting finding: http://www.ehow.com/facts_6009196_lenti ... source=ask
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “FS Health”