Question about Internal parasites

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
BobsMom
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Question about Internal parasites

Postby BobsMom » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:46 pm

What medicine is given by a vet to rid internal parasites? Is their precautions that should be used when giving this medicine? Does it make them sick at all?

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Question about Internal parasites

Postby Joan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:33 am

We don't give flyers anything not absolutely necessary. What parasites are you talking about? It would help to know that if the vet had identified some. Otherwise, I would never treat for them like you do domestic pets.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

BobsMom

Postby BobsMom » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:13 pm

Well im just going to come clean here and be honest with you. 4 weeks ago I found a baby male flyer on a dirt road. His eyes were just cracked open at the time. I put him on Fox Valley mixed with yogurt. I figure by the developmental stages that he will be 8 weeks this Tuesday. I have bonded with him and we started the weaning process earlier this week. I have him on a healthy diet and I still nipple feed him also, He seems to like that. The only help I have been getting is from the flyer boards. The first week I had planned on giving him to a wildlife rehab person until I read up on them and found out they make good pets. Since then I decided to keep him as a pet. I have spent close to 800 dollars on him including a custom built cage in progress. I have full intentions of doing the right thing every step of the way. He and I are bonded together BIG time. He spends more time in my bra than in his house. Yes I understand that he wont always live in my bra and yes I understand the things to expect from him in the future. Just one small tiny little problem with this story is that I live in a illegal state Ga therefore vet care is a no go especially considering that my good friend who is a vet tech said upon bringing him in they will take him from me. Im not willing to risk that at all what so ever. I have plans of driving down to FL to see a exotic vet there in Dec. I am just concerned that since he was a found baby that he may have internal parasites that I cannot see in his poop or from the outside. You know how kittens, puppies, etc normally always have parasites. I was going to try to get my hands on the right meds and give them to him myself. I am not completely uneducated when it comes to caring for wildlife I have done raccoon, rabbit, several different types of birds, chip monk, rat etc. With all the others I handed them over to a wild life rehab vet guy within a week to three weeks depending on how fast he could get to me. I knew they would never grow into good pets. I want to keep this flyer! I am not willing to part with him regardless of State laws. I know how that sounds but it is how i feel on the topic. Guess I could wait until Dec when I take him to FL to see a vet and have her check for internal parasites. Your response sounds that the last thing I should do is treat him for something im not even sure he has. Its just been a uphill battle since day one. Im trying to do the best thing and keep him in the process. I also know that some people will frown upon this story but its the truth and I wouldnt expect you to hear anything else out of me.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:23 pm

I have never know anyone to routeinly "worm" flyers and wouldn't recomment it
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

BobsMom

Postby BobsMom » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:22 pm

That is good to know for when I take him to the vet in Dec. I also would like to ask.... Does he need to see a vet in Dec? Is a vet required for the little guy if nothing is wrong. Or is a vet only for flyers when something goes wrong

Return to “FS Health”