Question on chewing habits

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Question on chewing habits

Postby Laurak » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:40 am

Momo is provided with plenty of wood chews and twigs in her cage, but she has shown no interest in chewing any of them. In fact, she normally just throws them all on the floor of her cage and ignores them. Should I be concerned that she's not chewing enough?

She gets a normal seed mix, and she will sometimes gnaw into almonds or hazelnuts. Is this enough chewing to keep her teeth healthy? (I also feed her fresh food daily, so she is good on nutrition).

If not, what can I do to encourage her to chew more?

Thanks!

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Question on chewing habits

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:42 pm

Chewing on in-shell nuts should be enough. My Chuck never chews on anything else while his gf chews the branches in the cage. Seems some are chewers and others are not. Some folks have books, remote buttons and ceiling tiles chewed! :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Yeah.... I never shoulda said anything. Last night, she became a chewing machine and chewed holes in a paperback book and a tube of toothpaste when I wasn't looking. :roll: She's lucky she knows how to make the cute face, so I can't stay mad at her!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Teddy Roosevelt had a pet flyer. If he had it in the While House, I suspect that's why Jackie Kennedy had it remodeled. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “FS Health”