His foot fell in hot water, and now it's not lookin' so good

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
BonnieP
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

His foot fell in hot water, and now it's not lookin' so good

Postby BonnieP » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 pm

About a week ago, my 10 week old flyer was sleeping in my shirt pocket while I made his formula. I took out the water from the microwave and started mixing the actual formula. i guess he smelled it, because he ran out of my shirt and jumped onto the cup. Genius moment. his back left foot and tip of his tail touched the water, and he immediately jumped out. (just for clarification, none of his torso or head fell in. i would have taken him to the vet instantly). he started licking his foot, and i soaked up what i could with a paper towel. i tried to put some cool water on his foot, but he spazzed out and ran into my shirt. now its red, swollen, and he doesnt walk on it. the middle two toes have what appears to be a large brown scab on them, and theres what looks like a blister on the outer toe. otherwise, hes functioning great. if i try to poke the foot, he gets mad and looks hurt, so im avoiding it. im really worried, because he isnt climbing very well now. hes really energetic, but hes having trouble climbing with three feet. will this last forever? how can i help him? please help :(

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: His foot fell in hot water, and now it's not lookin' so

Postby Joan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:20 pm

He will likely favorite it until it's better. Sounds like he got some second degree burns. Anything you put on it will likely get licked off, but you can try some neosporin to soothe and try to prevention infection. It it starts oozing and /or has a foul smell, get him to a vet. I'll see if any of the members of the ER team have other suggestions.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: His foot fell in hot water, and now it's not lookin' so

Postby DinNorman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:47 am

It would be a stretch to think he would lose toe(s). It sounds like first and second degree burn/scald. You reacted correctly and hopefully the little bit of cold water helped cool the tissues. I would expect it to heal fine although it could be slowly in the areas of deepest burn. It is possible that the hair will grow back in a different color, most likely white, although this does not always happen. Hope things go well.
David

Return to “FS Health”