Chuck Gets an Eye Exam (Nuclear Sclerosis vs Cataracts)

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Chuck Gets an Eye Exam (Nuclear Sclerosis vs Cataracts)

Postby Joan » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Recently, one of my dogs has been treated for eye ulcers and poor quality tears. After some time, my vet made a referral to the local "Doggie Ophthalmologist " who began treating her with success. Today on her second visit, I took Chuck with me as I knew he and his wife rehabbed squirrels and have had a flyer in the past. I told him that I brought Chuck and his were good eyes to examine ... I was joking. He got all excited and wanted to see him. He put on his magnifying head gear and got out his eye light. Chuck was amazingly patient as he examined his eyes and said what good condition they were in and that obviouly his diet was excellent. He was impressed with his weight (Chuck's an avid wheeler) and overall health. He said there was some blue coloration (nuclear sclerosis), which I couldn't see, in his eyes and that was a normal sign of aging (Chuck will be 11 in Aug) and my dogs have the same thing. He said he might also develop some white coloration in the future, but this isn't cararacts. I don't know how you tell the difference, but will ask him on my next visit in a month.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Chuck Gets an Eye Exam

Postby Joan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:55 pm

OK, Happy went for her check up eye exam and I asked the vet about the white eyes from aging vs. cataracts in flyers. He said that with aging, the eyes will get a cloudy blue coloration in them (nuclear sclerosis). That can eventually turn white, but doesn't effect the vision like cataracts. He said the aging white will be in both eyes and with cataracts, usually one eye first. Vision is effected with the cataracts. Cataracts can look like a white marble. See these photos:
http://marvistavet.com/html/cataracts.html
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “FS Health”