Delilah Regurgitated/Vomited Yesterday - Bringing Her to Vet

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
spiritedaway20
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Delilah Regurgitated/Vomited Yesterday - Bringing Her to Vet

Postby spiritedaway20 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:12 pm

well, Delilah has had all sorts of issues since we took her in. She was on some "exotic nutrition squirrel diet" which consisted of pellets, nuts and fruit. She was raised by the lady on cat milk and then goat milk (though not sure how long she was on goat milk). So since then she has been on the diet I feed Samson(who is 4 now by the way!).HHB, mealies, superworms, colalrd greens, quinoa, fv formula for supps, bits of my food here and there that are squirrel safe, pumpkin seeds here and there etc. You know the variety drill.

So with Delilah, first it was over-consumption of salt and peeing a lot with lack of weight gain, and now that I removed the salt, she gained a bit of weight and drank less, but she is still very thin. It reminds me soo much of Reepacheep it's not even funny! (allegedly from the same breeder too). Now she is continuing to eat and still not gain adequate weight, yet she is still growing. This was EXACTLY what happened to Reepacheep.

Well, yesterday she vomited/regurged half digested food of what looked like superworm since that is what she ate last. She heaved a bit and was wobbly and lethargic/weak when it was all over. I then put her in a medical cage on a heat pad and gave her pedialyte with a syringe. little bits at a time. She definitely perked up after a few hours and looks better today. no evidence of more vomiting. What's weird is Reepacheep once had case of vomiting and it went away as quickly as it appeared a few months alter I believe (i'll have to check the threads here to double check) he died suddenly. he also had a problem with weight gain and the necropsy said "no adipose tissue" or lack thereof despite his appetite. It just seems so scarily similar. I had none of these problems with Samson and I did the same things with him (same diet too). And he is a fat little guy. I am wondering now, if they are allegedly from the same breeder, if they are just genetically sick (diabetes or some other problem). not sure if flyers can get "puphood diabetes".

I have a vet appointment tomorrow with a wildlife vet specializing in exotic pets and, of course, wildlife. I am going to have him check for worms, including tape worm, blockage in any part of her GI tract, MBD, and run a blood panel. I will report back with my findings. I hope I can get her on the right track, and if not, I hope that this thread (reepacheep's too since they are so similar) will shed some light for people who may have the same problem.

She took 5 cc's of FV formula. Fingers crossed she keeps it down after her tummy has rested. Appointment is at 6 pm tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Delilah Regurgitated/Vomited Yesterday - Bringing Her to

Postby Joan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:47 pm

spiritedaway20 wrote:... It reminds me soo much of Reepacheep it's not even funny! (allegedly from the same breeder too). Now she is continuing to eat and still not gain adequate weight, yet she is still growing. This was EXACTLY what happened to Reepacheep. ... I am wondering now, if they are allegedly from the same breeder, if they are just genetically sick (diabetes or some other problem). not sure if flyers can get "puphood diabetes".

I would wonder too if inbreeding is part of this problem. If she came from the same breeder as Reepacheep. Have you talked with the breeder to see if they have a parent in common? Any good breeder would appreciate this feedback. I have never heard of a medically documented case of diabetes in a flyer. A urine test strip from the drugstore would should if sugar is spilling into the urine. Maybe you can test her before seeing the vet ... unlikely he'll get a sample.
Please let us know what he thinks. Fingers crossed!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Joan wrote:...I would wonder too if inbreeding is part of this problem. If she came from the same breeder as Reepacheep. Have you talked with the breeder to see if they have a parent in common? Any good breeder would appreciate this feedback. I have never heard of a medically documented case of diabetes in a flyer. A urine test strip from the drugstore would should if sugar is spilling into the urine. Maybe you can test her before seeing the vet ... unlikely he'll get a sample.
Please let us know what he thinks. Fingers crossed!

I have not contacted the breeder because i cannot confirm for sure since inhave no paperwor since she was a rescue. I can try contactinf the previous owner for paperwork.. Samson is also from the same breeder and he was shippped too young as well but there was a notcieable difference in size, health and weight gain. I never went back to that breeder again and never will...its just ironic I end up with a rescue flyer allegedly from this person.

If she dies do we still do necropsies? I would send her out immediatey and if nothing is wrong with her besides lack of adipose tissue I'm going to say there is a genetic problem too. But....we will see. I will try to get confirmation from previous owner.

Ok pee stick.....like the dollar store diabetes one? Ill try to get one before we head to the vet. Appointment is at 6.

Ill report back later.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:38 pm

Spirit, sending good thoughts your way!!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:45 pm

Skirkpatrick74 wrote:Spirit, sending good thoughts your way!!

Thanks skirk! I'm so nervous for her. No vomiting today btw that I could see. She kept down 14cc or formula.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:09 pm

spiritedaway20 wrote: ... If she dies do we still do necropsies?

Yes, but let's hope this isn't necessary.

spiritedaway20 wrote: Ok pee stick.....like the dollar store diabetes one?

Yes, but for urine. not blood.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Joan wrote:
spiritedaway20 wrote: ... If she dies do we still do necropsies?

Yes, but let's hope this isn't necessary.

spiritedaway20 wrote: Ok pee stick.....like the dollar store diabetes one?

Yes, but for urine. not blood.

I don't think the tests in the dollar store are blood tests. haha I'd smell a lawsuit if they were. I hope it won't be necessary either.

***Update Back from The Vet***

Ok, so took a stool sample. Dr. Mertz looked at it and saw bacteria, but no signs of parasites. He noticed it was quite hard (she didn't have the diarrhea anymore) which her poop has always been "off" in one way or another but I tried the obvious first which was diet. Apparently he saw fur in her stool but it was more than normal, so he said she could be barbering (which I could totally see her doing). He did confirm she seems especially bored, extra hyper and neurotic (remember the back flipping and salt eating that she was obsessively doing..I'm the one that offered that word up). In her travel cage this is the first time I've ever seen her act so CRAZY to the point where I felt she was in panic because her little argumentative squeaks were basically her screaming. This was even before she ran around the entire vet office and the vet himself. I had to catch her (she is warming up to me I noticed). I let her take her anxiety and anger out on my sleeve through the travel cage.

So...he said lets start with antibiotics first to help her little immune system first because his first thought is that she is just SO stressed out that her little body hasn't fought off existing bacteria or any bacteria she may have picked up like it should. This would be a hallmark of her having been stuffed in a tiny bird cage without being handled (despite the owner saying she took her out every day and raised her like the rest of us would in our shirts). That kinda confirms that I was lied to, but in her defense...let's see if that is the only issue. I think we can go ahead and call that a case of neglect and ignorance if nothing else is found though. :( So I'm going to make it my #1 job to make sure she has even more enrichment opportunities. I noticed she is fine in the critter nation cage (she will be moved to a bigger hand built one when I finalize plans for that), but she FREAKS OUT in anything resembling a bird cage or hamster cage especially if it has a comfort wheel in it (the cage she had arrived in had a broken comfort wheel in it).

I'm going to keep up with the FV and ultra boost and of course yogurt. It's the sulfa/trimethoprim combo suspension I think. I'll report back on my phone with the exact antibiotic as I am on a friend's computer right now and the antibiotic is at home.

The other option after the antibiotics...is he asked me if she had an seizures and I said not that I know of but she was wobbly and weak after the regurge (another concern had). He is asking because it's possible the previous owner let her out to run around (which she said she did) and that anything neurological could be lead poisoning since she is such an avid chewer. I didn't even think of that.

I think he honestly thinks it's just her being so wound up. He said he would rather start cancelling small things out before I start worrying about things like genetics and diabetes. She looked a lot better today by the way.

I feel so bad for how this poor girl was freaking out it was just awful. It really broke my heart to see her in such anguish. It's so unfair. I brought Samson with me and he said he is fine (same checkup why not). He acts normal like all the other flyers he has seen.

I'll keep everyone updated on her progress.

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:20 pm

Haha...ok I'm home...she is not having this suspension at all. It says sm3 tmp suspension.

Can I mix this with formula or yogurt? Obviously its a little late to call vet tonight. Any ideas?

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Never mind got it. First dose complete. :)

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:53 am

Oh bless her heart that poor girl! Sounds like she's been through so much! Daisy was in a bird cage until we got her too, we've had her two months now and she's just started moving around more in her critter cage! She has her moments where she's still skittish, but she's warming up little by little. I know half her tail was removed right before we got her (even though he told us it was like that when he got her) because it was pink with almost no fur, and now it's turned brown and the hair is growing back.

I think we need to find a "flying squirrel therapist", or "flying whisperer". Delilah and Daisy could both benefit from one! :D

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:18 am

Skirkpatrick74 wrote:Oh bless her heart that poor girl! Sounds like she's been through so much! Daisy was in a bird cage until we got her too, we've had her two months now and she's just started moving around more in her critter cage! She has her moments where she's still skittish, but she's warming up little by little. I know half her tail was removed right before we got her (even though he told us it was like that when he got her) because it was pink with almost no fur, and now it's turned brown and the hair is growing back.

I think we need to find a "flying squirrel therapist", or "flying whisperer". Delilah and Daisy could both benefit from one! :D

Yes! I feel so bad. I didn't realuze poor Daisy Mae was doing the same thing. I think Delilah may need a little Prozac too! Honestly I think the people we got them from lied to make themselves look better (or just ignorant) but the proof is in their health and behavior.

What kind of cage was she in? Dellah is 20 weeks or so and was 10 weeks suppoaedly when we got her. She wa stuffed into the smallest vision bird cage and everythng was covered in pee. She had toys but they were plastic and no room to move. I think she meant well or tried to treat her like a sugar glider. No wheel either. Maybe he didn't realize how fast she would marure i dont know anymore cant wrap my head around it.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:43 am

Daisy was kept in a man made cage, wire and wood. I think he made it himself, he tried to sell it to us, but we passed. :) It had nothing in there for her to play on, and she couldn't climb up the sides (just straight bars). Plus, she was in cedar shavings! I think he meant well, but definitely not ideal for her. She was 4 when we got her, and he bought her from a hobby breeder in FL when she was a baby, so I'm sure she thinks she's living high on the hog now! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:44 am

spiritedaway20 wrote:... Ok, so took a stool sample.... He noticed it was quite hard (she didn't have the diarrhea anymore) which her poop has always been "off" in one way or another

The droppings do turn hard as pebbles when dry. If the stool seems to come out too hard, a little bit of pear will soften it.

spiritedaway20 wrote:... So...he said lets start with antibiotics first to help her little immune system first because his first thought is that she is just SO stressed out that her little body hasn't fought off existing bacteria or any bacteria she may have picked up like it should .... I'm going to keep up with the FV and ultra boost and of course yogurt... It's the sulfa/trimethoprim combo suspension I think.

Did he say what the bacteria was? "Normal" bacteria is needed to prevent diarrhea. The yogurt should put that back if it's "active" as antibiotics can kill the "normal" bacteria and cause diarrhea.

spiritedaway20 wrote:... She looked a lot better today by the way.

This is good. Flyers are so naturally hyper they need a wheel or out of cage time to burn off energy. Look at the enrichment forum for ideas.

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:32 pm

Joan wrote:
spiritedaway20 wrote:... Ok, so took a stool sample.... He noticed it was quite hard (she didn't have the diarrhea anymore) which her poop has always been "off" in one way or another

The droppings do turn hard as pebbles when dry. If the stool seems to come out too hard, a little bit of pear will soften it.

spiritedaway20 wrote:... So...he said lets start with antibiotics first to help her little immune system first because his first thought is that she is just SO stressed out that her little body hasn't fought off existing bacteria or any bacteria she may have picked up like it should .... I'm going to keep up with the FV and ultra boost and of course yogurt... It's the sulfa/trimethoprim combo suspension I think.

Did he say what the bacteria was? "Normal" bacteria is needed to prevent diarrhea. The yogurt should put that back if it's "active" as antibiotics can kill the "normal" bacteria and cause diarrhea.

he said that it was the bad bacteria or a virus..but there was lots of fur and bacteria present in the stool. I saw it myself. Not coccidia. So it was naturally occuring and like all animals the stress depleted good bacteria so bad bacteria has flourished. I have been giving her ultra boost for awhile now and it hasnt helped the good bacteria (and yogurt too) but i will continue to do so during antibiotics.

spiritedaway20 wrote:... She looked a lot better today by the way.

This is good. Flyers are so naturally hyper they need a wheel or out of cage time to burn off energy. Look at the enrichment forum for ideas.

Yes they are naturally hyper but she is as abnormally hyper as it gets. She is on her wheel day in and day out it seems like. And she does have enrichment..but because she has been so mentally damaged from previous owner I definitely need more enrichment ideas so ill definitely be checking out tue enrichment forum as well as brainstoring and adding new stuff as well.

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:34 pm

Sorry joan I can't edit posts on my phone. Thank you for replying. Anyway...is the pear trick safe to try since she goes from hard poops full of fur to diarrhea? I will ask what the bacteria was he said I forgot.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:28 pm

spiritedaway20 wrote:Sorry joan I can't edit posts on my phone. Thank you for replying. Anyway...is the pear trick safe to try since she goes from hard poops full of fur to diarrhea?

With her, I'd just give a tiny bit from my finger. Chuck gets a whole pear to chew on at will until it's too spoiled to leave in the cage. :twisted:

spiritedaway20
NFSA Member

Postby spiritedaway20 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Joan wrote:With her, I'd just give a tiny bit from my finger. Chuck gets a whole pear to chew on at will until it's too spoiled to leave in the cage. :twisted:

Haha ok I will give her a bit and the rest. :)

Return to “FS Health”