BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
User avatar
slmero
Juvie Pup
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Central Massachusetts

BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby slmero » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:13 am

So, Bella started doing backflips 2 nights ago and I don't know if I should be worried. I read that it can be very dangerous for them if it becomes a compulsive behavior. I also read that it might be a phase... Any suggestions?

It's only her 6th day with us today and last night we did our first bathroom session. Do you think once she's bonded and able to have room freedom that this backflipping will stop? Please help because I'm a worried Squammy... Thanks!
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9119
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Pups go a little nuts when they learn a new thing and do it over and over. No need to worry
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

User avatar
slmero
Juvie Pup
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby slmero » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Joan wrote:Pups go a little nuts when they learn a new thing and do it over and over. No need to worry


Oh good! Because I was worried... Also, her first bathroom session went well I think. I squirrel proofed the bathroom; hung fleece blankets, fleece robes, and towels everywhere for her to glide and grip onto. When we first got her into the bathroom, we simply unzipped her pouch and let her come out on her own. She quickly noticed that she could get out of the pouch and when she did, she poked her sweet little head out first and then slowly walked out. My fiancee and I were on the floor with her and I expected her to be scared of us and jump away immediately. Instead, she ran around on the floor, hid between my fiancee's (Nick) legs and then scooted behind the toilet where she stayed for a while. We fell asleep for a little while and when I woke up, Bella was clinging to a blanket i put over the sink and was about 2 feet away from my face just staring at me. I let her be... All in all, we went into the bathroom at around 9:30pm and didn't emerge until 4am. When it was time to put her back in her cage, we couldn't find her. And since my bathroom is small, we knew she had to be hiding somewhere. After about 20 minutes of looking, we found her sleeping between a towel I had hung on the shower and the shower curtain. Silly me, I thought it would be as simple as putting her near her bonding pouch and she would just jump in. :twisted: Boy was I wrong... After us trying to get her back in her pouch for about 10 minutes, Miss Bella lept on my shoulder, then my head! I was suprised that since we've only had her for less than a week, she was comfortable enough to jump on me. I mean, she didn't stay long but is that a good thing? Or did she just jump on me because I was there and it had nothing to do with her being comfortable with me? Finally, she simply glided over to her sleeping pouch i hung up for her and walked in. Phew! Unfortunatley, she wouldn't eat any of the pecan pieces I tried feeding her while we were in the bathroom. And since I fell asleep for a couple hours, I don't know if she came to check us out or not.

Also, I'm going to keep trying the bathroom thing but I read about the tent method too and was wondering if maybe I could try that tonight instead of the bathroom. Have people had more luck with the tent method or bathroom method. The reason I want to try the tent method is because sleeping on my bathroom floor was no fun. If I do the tent thing, I can set it up in our living room on the soft carpet, facing the TV and if I fall asleep, I won't wake up with, what felt like, a broken back! LOL! Plus, its smaller than the bathroom and it would seem like she might get curious about us quicker. After tomorrow, I'm going to start taking her to work with me during the day until we're bonded. I have a nice travel cage all set up under my desk with toys, sleeping pouches, and a zippered bonding pouch to keep her in for most of the day. I work from 8am to 5pm. I'm thinking this schedule is perfect since she sleeps all day. And then when I get home from work, we can take her out for her out-of-cage time. Any thoughts?

One more thing, my fiancee has fallen in love with Bella as much as I have and I just got a call from one of the breeders I had contacted before I got Bella who, at the time, didn't have any babies yet. Now, he has 6 week old pups and asked if I'd be interested in getting one. What do you think about that? Bella is 10 weeks old and I'm afraid she won't bond as well to me as a 6 week old pup would. In addition, I got Bella from a "broker" who obviously didn't handle her much and 6 week old baby has been hand-fed with formula and a syringe and will still be on formula when if I get her. I know that hand-feeding them formula helps with bonding too. Then, both my fiancee and I can be owned by a baby flyer and experience the love that only a flying squirrel can give! I would obviously keep them in separate cages at first until they're totally bonded to us and then slowly introduce them to each other. The other reason for wanting another (other than the fact that they are so precious and I'm addicted) is that while we're at work during the day, they'll have each other to sleep with and if they wake up during the day, they can play together. Then of course at night, they can romp around together as well. Please let me know what you think of this idea as I have to put a deposit today on the new baby. 8-[

Thanks for all your help so far, btw! It's SO appreciated!
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9119
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:19 pm

slmero wrote:... We fell asleep for a little while and when I woke up

Good Lord, you don't have to have sessions this long. LOL

slmero wrote:... I was suprised that since we've only had her for less than a week, she was comfortable enough to jump on me. I mean, she didn't stay long but is that a good thing? Or did she just jump on me because I was there and it had nothing to do with her being comfortable with me?

It's a good thing. She has to trust you to do this ... she could have jumped elsewhere.

slmero wrote:...Also, I'm going to keep trying the bathroom thing but I read about the tent method too and was wondering if maybe I could try that tonight instead of the bathroom.

Doesn't matter. The purpose is the same. Try both and see what YOU like best.

slmero wrote:... After tomorrow, I'm going to start taking her to work with me during the day until we're bonded. I have a nice travel cage all set up under my desk with toys, sleeping pouches, and a zippered bonding pouch to keep her in for most of the day.

Keep her in the pouch next to your skin and let her sleep there.

slmero wrote:... Now, he has 6 week old pups and asked if I'd be interested in getting one. What do you think about that?

I never recommend getting a second for a year as they will likely bond to each other and not you. Also, the second may never bond as close as the first unless they are kept completely apart. Wait a year, get a male and try for pups. They are a joy! :D

slmero wrote:...Bella is 10 weeks old and I'm afraid she won't bond as well to me as a 6 week old pup would.

She can bond every bit as close as a 6 week old.

slmero wrote:...In addition, I got Bella from a "broker" who obviously didn't handle her much and 6 week old baby has been hand-fed with formula and a syringe and will still be on formula when if I get her. I know that hand-feeding them formula helps with bonding too.

I never handled my pups much and left them with their mom until picked up. This never seemed to effect the bonding. It seems more to depend on the personality of the pup. I've had some never handled go home holding onto the finger of the new HOF. Chuck was never handled before I got him and he is exceptionally bonded. I carried him everywhere. To me, getting mother's milk is far better than any formula.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

User avatar
slmero
Juvie Pup
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby slmero » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 am

Joan wrote:Keep her in the pouch next to your skin and let her sleep there.
Will do! However, if I do need to leave the office for some reason, what is a good size travel cage to put in my office? I went to Petco last night to see what types of smaller cages they had and I didn't find any I liked. However, I attached some pics of different sized cages so I can get your opinion as to which size is best for a travel cage. Her cage at home is big so I just wasn't sure how big the travel cage should be since she won't be in it hardly ever. Let me know what you think. And since I didn't like the ones I saw at Petco, I did some checking around online and found some great ones. I've listed 5 different cages that I really like. Here are the links to them. If you have the time, I would love to get your opinion on these:
1. http://www.sugar-gliders.com/glider-cages/24-collapsible-travel-cage.htmlThis is one of my faves! What do you think?
2. http://atticworx.com/1cages.htmThis one may be too small or just strange shaped. What do you think?
3. http://www.critter-cages.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58&products_id=551 I really like this one... but is it a little big for a travel cage? The wire spacing is 1/2" which is perfect for Bella!
4. http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/travel/Not all of these ones are suitable, but there are a few that look really good.
5. http://www.critter-cages.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=1070I think this one is my favorite... hopefully its suitable for a flyer!

Joan wrote:I never recommend getting a second for a year as they will likely bond to each other and not you. Also, the second may never bond as close as the first unless they are kept completely apart. Wait a year, get a male and try for pups. They are a joy! :D
That's a good rule of thumb... one that I will definitely follow. I am going to be counting down the days til we can get a boy because I dream of having sweet little flyer pups.

Joan wrote:She can bond every bit as close as a 6 week old.
Good to know!

Joan wrote:I never handled my pups much and left them with their mom until picked up. This never seemed to effect the bonding. It seems more to depend on the personality of the pup. I've had some never handled go home holding onto the finger of the new HOF. Chuck was never handled before I got him and he is exceptionally bonded. I carried him everywhere. To me, getting mother's milk is far better than any formula.
Oh! That's awesome! I thought it was a dealbreaker whether or not they were handled as young pups. That's encouraging!!

Thanks Joan!! :B-fly:
Attachments
0128141759.jpg
Size Option #4 - Smaller than the others
0128141759.jpg (401.6 KiB) Viewed 5483 times
0128141800a.jpg
Size Option #3 - 30x18x30
0128141800a.jpg (423.26 KiB) Viewed 5483 times
0128141800.jpg
Size Option #2 - 30x18x16
0128141800.jpg (411.1 KiB) Viewed 5483 times
0128141755.jpg
Size Option #1 - 22x16x32
0128141755.jpg (328.9 KiB) Viewed 5483 times
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9119
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:55 am

slmero wrote: ... What do you think?
2. http://atticworx.com/1cages.htmThis one may be too small or just strange shaped. What do you think?


I know Anita and her husband who make these cages. Notice the wiring. It lets the flyer crawl easily. It's not expensive and is great for a travel cage. They own both flyers and sugar gliders. You will definitely want to get their Stealth wheel. Any problems you have with their equipment, they are more than willing to help
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

User avatar
slmero
Juvie Pup
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby slmero » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Great!! It's big enough to hang a pouch in there right? Before I buy it, what about this last one. It's a little bigger and still has great bars for Bella to climb around on. And this one is definitely big enough to hang sleepy pouches. What do you think? Thanks so much Joan!
Image
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

User avatar
slmero
Juvie Pup
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby slmero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:33 pm

Joan wrote:I know Anita and her husband who make these cages. Notice the wiring. It lets the flyer crawl easily. It's not expensive and is great for a travel cage. They own both flyers and sugar gliders. You will definitely want to get their Stealth wheel. Any problems you have with their equipment, they are more than willing to help
Hi Joan! Thanks again... I hope you're not getting annoyed by all my questions/comments. If you are, I won't be offended, LOL! I ended up going with the "travel cottage" cage from Martins Cages that I posted the picture of in my last post. Not that I didn't LOVE Anita's Daytripper cage... I just wanted something a tiny bit bigger so I could hang a pouch in there for her. Made sure the wire spacing was just right before I bought it too. I can't wait until Monday when I can start bringing her to work with me everyday and REALLY start the bonding process. I'm actually going to start carrying her around during the day this weekend so by Monday, she's a little used to be toted around while sleeping the day away.

WHEELS... Before I had found Anita's website, I read a post somewhere in this forum and on the Squirrel Board forum that recommended the Wodent Wheel... so that's what I bought. Now, is the Stealth Wheel a better choice for some reason, i.e. safer, more comfortable, easier to clean, etc...? I also had my fiance install the "Sandy Trimmer" for her nails. But she has yet to even venture inside the wheel yet and since she is not comfortable with me picking her up yet, I can't put her in it to help her get the idea. Hopefully, after we bond for a month or so, she'll be ready to be introduced to the wheel. I do have a question about this cool "Treadmill Wheel" I've seen around the internet. Here is the link: http://www.exoticnutrition.com/trwh11in.html. It also comes with a trimmer strip for their nails. Just wanted to get some opinions on this wheel because it looks like maybe it would be a little easier for them to get the hang of this one.

FOOD... Bella cracked her first nut 2 nights ago: an in-shell almond! YAYY! I didn't even mind that she was cracking it 2am... I was just excited and kept getting up to watch her, LOL! Also, The Henry's Pets' Flyer Blocks arrived yesterday so I put 2 of them in her cage last night for dinner, along with a bowl mixed with 2 little leafs of each: kale, dandelion greens, and romaine and then a couple tiny pcs of mushroom for Vitamin D and a little sprinkle of sunflower seeds. Then I also gave her a shelled brazil nut and a blackberry dusted with calcium powder for her nightly treats(the FV formula hasn't arrived yet). Then I always keep a bit of her staple diet which is a pellet base with little bits of nuts and a tiny bit of dried fruit. This food is from Exotic Nutrition specifically formulated for flying squirrels... Does anyone have any experience with this food? I haven't seen her eat it yet so if it's not good, I'll just stop giving it to her. It doesn't seem like she's been eating much of the veggies I've been giving her, although she does seem to like brussell sprout leaves. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat the veggies? Should I give her some other veggies like sweet potato, acorn squash, green beans, etc... to try? Then for her teeth, in-shell almond (as I mentioned above), an elk antler, some wood bark chews made from grape wood, douglas-fir and/or manzanita wood (which I researched and found that all are safe except for the douglas-fir... couldn't find any info on that tree... does anyone know if douglas-fir is safe for little fuzzbutts?) and lastly, I have a Manu Mineral Block attached to the side of her cage. I was told to get her a salt-spool too but she hasn't touched the mineral block yet so should I wait? Or does she NEED salt-spool?

Words of Wisdom are always appreciated! Thanks... :B-fly:
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9119
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby Joan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:42 pm

slmero wrote:... I hope you're not getting annoyed by all my questions/comments. If you are, I won't be offended, LOL!

We're here to help you any way we can. :-)

slmero wrote:... I ended up going with the "travel cottage" cage from Martins Cages

Martins cages have a good reputation.

slmero wrote:... I'm actually going to start carrying her around during the day this weekend so by Monday, she's a little used to be toted around while sleeping the day away.

That's a good plan

slmero wrote:... Before I had found Anita's website, I read a post somewhere in this forum and on the Squirrel Board forum that recommended the Wodent Wheel... so that's what I bought. Now, is the Stealth Wheel a better choice for some reason, i.e. safer, more comfortable, easier to clean, etc...?

The Stealth is VERY quiet and can be fitted with sandpaper strips to trim nails (not recommended for pups). I had Wodents at first, but switched it to my travel cage after modifying it:
http://nfsa.us/messageboard/viewtopic.p ... ter#p49570


slmero wrote:... But she has yet to even venture inside the wheel yet and since she is not comfortable with me picking her up yet, I can't put her in it to help her get the idea.

Some flyers pick it up and become wheel "addicts"... other will just use it to eat in. LOL

slmero wrote:... I do have a question about this cool "Treadmill Wheel" I've seen around the internet. Here is the link: http://www.exoticnutrition.com/trwh11in.html. It also comes with a trimmer strip for their nails. Just wanted to get some opinions on this wheel because it looks like maybe it would be a little easier for them to get the hang of this one.

I've never used this so can't comment with any experience.

slmero wrote:...FOOD... Bella cracked her first nut 2 nights ago: an in-shell almond! YAYY! I didn't even mind that she was cracking it 2am... I was just excited and kept getting up to watch her, LOL!

Good for you! Some flyers trick their squammies/daddies into cracking nuts for them for the longest time ... pretending they can't. LOL

slmero wrote:...Also, The Henry's Pets' Flyer Blocks arrived yesterday so I put 2 of them in her cage last night for dinner, along with a bowl mixed with 2 little leafs of each: kale, dandelion greens, and romaine and then a couple tiny pcs of mushroom for Vitamin D and a little sprinkle of sunflower seeds. Then I also gave her a shelled brazil nut and a blackberry dusted with calcium powder for her nightly treats(the FV formula hasn't arrived yet).

If Henry's contain calicium & vit D and she eating them, I wouldn't add these to other foods.

slmero wrote:... Then I always keep a bit of her staple diet which is a pellet base with little bits of nuts and a tiny bit of dried fruit. This food is from Exotic Nutrition specifically formulated for flying squirrels... Does anyone have any experience with this food?

Save your money and make your own with things you find she will eat. Just because it's "specifically formulated for flying squirrels" doesn't mean it's any better than what you can made. BTY, I have a bridge for sale specially formulated for squammies. :twisted:

slmero wrote:... It doesn't seem like she's been eating much of the veggies I've been giving her, although she does seem to like brussel sprout leaves. Any suggestions on how to get her to eat the veggies?

Yes, remove every other food from her cage.

slmero wrote:... Should I give her some other veggies like sweet potato, acorn squash, green beans, etc... to try?

Yes, she may love brussel sprouts today and hate them tomorrow.

slmero wrote:...Then for her teeth, in-shell almond (as I mentioned above), an elk antler, some wood bark chews made from grape wood, douglas-fir and/or manzanita wood

That should be plenty.

slmero wrote:...(which I researched and found that all are safe except for the douglas-fir... couldn't find any info on that tree... does anyone know if douglas-fir is safe for little fuzzbutts?)

Yes, she knows! :twisted:

slmero wrote:...and lastly, I have a Manu Mineral Block attached to the side of her cage. I was told to get her a salt-spool too but she hasn't touched the mineral block yet so should I wait? Or does she NEED salt-spool?

You can leave it and she'll use it if she needs it. Chuck never touches them, but they're there if he wants.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pattis
Juvie Pup
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:21 am
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby pattis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:48 pm

Rowdy has the wodent wheel. I know he sits in it sometimes. I don't know if he has spun it much. He does get lots of exercise running around he habitat at night! It's funny you asked about it because just earlier today I stuck tiny bits of pecan attached with peanut butter at intervals so he would see that it spins. (Yeah... I'm goofy that way!). He probably does run in it. I just haven't caught him doing it yet. Your little Bella probably has been in it at least sitting, because they are some curious little creatures.... And with all those windows, who could resist! I also have the squirrel diet from exotic nutrition. He loves the papaya in it. I pretty sure he's eaten some of the pellets. But with all that I put in for him to eat, my spoiled little prince only has to eat what he wants the most! I change out what he doesn't eat every so often... Not every day unless it's chicken. Joan is right! Some days he will love something and then won't touch it. Joan is great!
Rowdy's friend

User avatar
slmero
Juvie Pup
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:14 am
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby slmero » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:46 pm

pattis wrote:Rowdy has the wodent wheel... It's funny you asked about it because just earlier today I stuck tiny bits of pecan attached with peanut butter at intervals so he would see that it spins. (Yeah... I'm goofy that way!).
I hope Bella learns to use it! And what a cool idea you came up with... putting peanut butter on a pecan at intervals. LOL :idea:

pattis wrote:I also have the squirrel diet from exotic nutrition. He loves the papaya in it. I pretty sure he's eaten some of the pellets.
I really hope Bella starts eating some of it. I was told by someone on the Squirrel Board that because it has nuts in it, it's not good for her because nuts are ONLY to be given as treats. Joan gave me some good advice on that: "Squirrels eat nuts"... :twisted: and she's never heard of a squirrel overdosing on nuts. But just like everything else, give them in moderation. I also got Bella the Flyer Blocks that Henry's makes and Fox Valley formula. So, I've got quite a variety of stuff for my spoiled little princess Bella Rose... just in case she's a finnicky eater. As of today, she's eaten dried blueberry treats that I give her a couple of at night, she has shelled an almond (1st one 2 days ago, YAYY), shes eaten a couple brussel sprout leaves, shes eaten a couple clementine segments, half of a shelled brazil nut, and a shelled cashew. At least with the variety of foods I've gotten her, I'm sure to find some things that she likes.

pattis wrote:Joan is great!
YES SHE IS!! I honestly don't know what I would've done without her throughout the past week! THANK YOU AGAIN JOAN!

And just to add this last bit... I think I have spent a small fortune on stuff for my baby Bella! I spend more on fresh food and other fun stuff on her than I do on us! But my animals are like my children (literally) so I would gladly give them the world if I could. You should see how my ferret lives... she is spoiled rotten! And ironically, even though we give her everything, she still steals my shoes, socks, elastics, food when she can, my wrist brace, my fiance's wallet, and anything else she feels like taking under the couch with her (that's her favorite hiding spot). Btw, do you have any other pets at home? I'm only asking because I've been getting so many different responses about whether or not to let my dog, Foxy Lady (who is a 9lb little sweetheart), interact with Bella. My ferret and the dog are literally best friends and can't live without each other so I was just wondering since she is already accustomed to playing with an animal much smaller and more fragile than her. And she is so tender and gentle with my ferret. Check out this story I found while researching flying squirrels a couple weeks ago... If you're in a bad mood, this story will brighten your day instantly! As for the ferret, I am pretty sure I'm always going to keep Bella and Gracie (my ferret) separated since ferrets naturally eat rodents in the wild. Here is the link to that story I just mentioned:
http://www.dogheirs.com/dogsarefamily/posts/4723-baby-flying-squirrel-rescued-and-befriends-man-and-his-dogs-photos
Momma to 3 babygirls:
Miss Bella Rose (my newest and youngest, flying squirrel)
Miss Gracie Ann (my rebellious middle child, ferret who thinks she's a dog)
Miss Foxy Lady (my first-born, dog)

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9119
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:10 am

slmero wrote: ... And just to add this last bit... I think I have spent a small fortune on stuff for my baby Bella! I spend more on fresh food and other fun stuff on her than I do on us!

Ooops, I forgot to tell you that any new squammy should cut up all credit cards before the family has to file bankruptcy!

slmero wrote: ... Btw, do you have any other pets at home? I'm only asking because I've been getting so many different responses about whether or not to let my dog, Foxy Lady (who is a 9lb little sweetheart), interact with Bella.

I have a dog (11 lbs) who I know wouldn't hurt Chuck, but he won't come anywhere near her... maybe because her sister would have eaten him alive. Chuck has no interest in being dog friendly and anyway, I wouldn't encourage them because to me it's a risk I'm not willing to take. That said, my friend Tom had a dog and flyer who took turns chasing each other up and down the hallway.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pattis
Juvie Pup
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:21 am
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby pattis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Great story! I also have dogs. They do chase the grey squirrels outside but when they get too close to Rowdy I say, "Leave it!". And they do. Also we say "flyer" and not "squirrel" around the dogs. Just so they know he's different. Rowdy eats better than I do also. I really try to get a lot of variety for him. And I make things for him too! Tiny tents and hanging baskets and pouches. There is one of the topics where Joan posted pictures of Chucks habitat. Look around for it! Rowdy would think he's at Disney world if he ever visited!
Rowdy's friend

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball
Posts: 230
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Southern States

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Jack has a wodent wheel. It sat in his cage for 3 days, unused. Now, he'll jump back in his cage just to run in it. That little guy is trying to stay in shape! He also does backflips, and just about any other kind of flip you can imagine. He runs faster than anything I've ever seen, and tears around corners lightning fast. I'm waiting for the day he has a blow out! :D
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin
Posts: 9119
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:30 pm
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4
Location: Fleming Island, FL
Contact:

Re: BACKFLIPS!! Worry or Not...

Postby Joan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:50 pm

Skirkpatrick74 wrote:Jack has a wodent wheel. It sat in his cage for 3 days, unused. Now, he'll jump back in his cage just to run in it. That little guy is trying to stay in shape! :D


Once I inadvertently closed the cage door when Chuck was out and he drove me crazy jumping from me to the cage and back until I realized he wanted the door open so he could run in his wheel. He is wheel addicted. LOL
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh


Return to “FS Health”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest