thinking of breeding kiwi once

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

thinking of breeding kiwi once

Postby Kiwisgirl » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:04 pm

In their first litter how many babies do flying squirrels usually have? Does any of the babies usually die? sorry, I just am thinking of breeding kiwi to dash and will only be able to keep one and I dont know if I would be able to give up the other 1 or 2 babies. thanks, Kayla
Kayla

Owned by:
Kiwi :smt051
Dash :silly:

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: thinking of breeding kiwi once

Postby Joan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:27 pm

[quote="Kiwisgirl"] ... In their first litter how many babies do flying squirrels usually have?

Mine had 3 in each of her 3 litters.

Does any of the babies usually die?

I think they probably do better in captivity partially due to prenatal care of the mother, but infant death is not unheard of.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:57 am

ok,thanks I dont know how but I got in my head that flying squirrels have less babies in their first litters. I really want to breed Kiwi but I get to attached to my pets to be able to find them a good enough home(nothing would be good enough for them). what are the chances that if I got Dash neutered that he and Kiwi would get along better?
Kayla

Owned by:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:33 pm

[quote="Kiwisgirl"] ... what are the chances that if I got Dash neutered that he and Kiwi would get along better?

I know that males that have become aggressive get along much better with their HOFs. I'm not sure about with other flyers, but I'd think he'd be less aggressive with her too. Maybe someone with this experience will comment. How old is you male?
Be sure to read these experiences: http://www.nfsa.us/medical.htm
http://www.voy.com/81231/8827.html
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:23 pm

I dont know how old dash is but I am guessing 1 or 2. I got him about 2 months ago and set an appointment up to have him neutered before I even got him so he and kiwi could live together without the worry of babies, I cancelled it when I saw how scared of people he is and was gonna wait until he was tamer. He hasnt gotten much tamer and I want to move him in with kiwi,my mom said I could keep one of the babies(the reason I was gonna let them breed) if they bred but I couldnt bare to give the others up so I think I am gonna just neuter him. and yes I have read the neutering experiences. thanks, Kayla
Kayla

Owned by:

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:38 pm

I think in our experience we were not planning on our two to have babies and yet the first go around she had 3 and the next there were 4. We were very lucky that we had very good homes for all 6 of the babies and when the father died right before the last 4 were born we kept the little boy. He is now 1 yr old and I really don't think he has "become a man" as of yet. My husband thinks that one might be going to have babies but I think he is just playing around and trying to show who is the "boss" of these two "women". LOL If you want them to breed my luck would be that they will never have babies but we just let mother nature do it's thing. I would play the waiting game with him and see what happenes and if he becomes a father then you could keep one of his babies and have him fixed. Good luck with what ever you deside.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Wanda
NFSA Member

Re: thinking of breeding kiwi once

Postby Wanda » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:15 pm

[quote="Kiwisgirl"] ...In their first litter how many babies do flying squirrels usually have?
My boss, Shelly, has had three litters. First litter...4 pups, the other two litters...3 pups each litter.

Does any of the babies usually die?
None of mine has died.

sorry, I just am thinking of breeding kiwi to dash and will only be able to keep one and I dont know if I would be able to give up the other 1 or 2 babies. thanks, Kayla
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:00 pm

so tomorrow I have an appointment to have dash neutered,but tonight for the first time I am allowing them to stay unsupervised so that if it was ment to be she would have babies and it probally isnt so I am not worried. Thank you sooo much, Kayla,Kiwi and Dash
Kayla

Owned by:

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:48 pm

well dash was neutered today at about 12:00 and I got to go pick him up at about 4 and he was sleeping happily in the front with the office ladies who fell in love with him. He is now wondering around in his small recovery cage and seems to be doing great,he was even feeling good enough to attempt another escape. Thank you all so much, Kayla,Kiwi and Dash
Kayla

Owned by:

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:52 pm

oh and if anyone is curious my vet(the one I take all my pets to) charged only $30 and it was his first flyier to neuter(although he had done sugar gliders,hamsters, and rats)
Kayla

Owned by:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:02 pm

Be sure to keep a close eye on him tonight for bleeding.

Jme
Teen HOF

Postby Jme » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:35 pm

Am I the only one who finds neutering a hamster odd?
Jaimie (Jme)

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:46 pm

Probably. :twisted:

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:26 pm

no your not I think its odd too but some people would also say neutering a flying squirrel is odd. and I am going to set my alarm to wake me up ever 1 1/2 hours to check on him,and his cage is gonna be on my nightstand tonight so if anything happens I might hear it too.
Kayla

Owned by:

Jme
Teen HOF

Postby Jme » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:37 pm

Good idea. I hope he does OK!!!
Jaimie(jme)

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:18 am

well dash did good all last night,the only thing he did to his booboo was lick it and im ok with that.
Kayla

Owned by:

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:54 am

Glad he did well. Maybe you can get some sleep tonight. :D

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:11 pm

Ya hopefully! About how long should it take him to heal well enough to go back in the big cage with Kiwi??? He still seems very sore
Kayla

Owned by:

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball

Postby Kiwisgirl » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:23 pm

Ok so last night I felt like dash was ready to go in the big cage with kiwi and so I put him in there and they didnt fight like usual(yay). To convince them to try to sleep together I put only two bags to choose from to sleep in. This morning I was sad to discover they were sleeping in seperate bags, so about 2 hours later I walk by and I see dash going into kiwis pouch(I was a little worried) but I came back about 5 minutes later THEY WERE ASLEEP CUDDLED TOGETHER!!!! I was sooooooo excited I screamed and jumped around... its been about 7 hours and they are still sleeping together. I thing getting dash neutered helped kiwi to like him better. Thanks, Kayla, <33Kiwi&Dash<33
Kayla

Owned by:

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”