Pearl expecting?

marilyn
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Pearl expecting?

Postby marilyn » Sat May 06, 2006 11:57 am

I've hesitated to post about this, but I'm pretty sure now that Pearl and Burl will become parents in a couple weeks. I saw them mate April 7th and now she shows many signs of pregnancy including an ever expanding midsection. We set up their travel cage on the opposite side of the room, and I tried moving Burl into it a couple nights ago. He hated it and wouldn't settle down, kept reaching through the hardware clothe at me, so I let him back in the main cage. Pearl chases him away from her nestbox, but he is still bigger than she is and chases her around the cage. Last night I had both cages open and Pearl spent a lot of time exploring the travel cage so I closed her into it when I went to bed. I moved her "blankie" from her nest box into the new nest box and she is sleeping there now. I've read everything I could find posted about breeding and pregnancy and am trying to do everything suggested as far as diet, etc. I guess I'm just a little worried since this is my first experience as a grandsquammy. Pray that things go smoothly.
Thanks,
Marilyn
Marilyn & David
Owned by Dixie, Heidi & Houdini
In Loving Memory of Burl

BreezieGirl
Flying Furball

Postby BreezieGirl » Sat May 06, 2006 12:13 pm

That's great! You must be very excited, Marilyn! :) I'll be praying everything goes okay. Keep us posted.
~Kaylie
Owned by Jasper

In Loving Memory of My Sweet Little Mima :smt049

S. K. Dixon
Juvie Pup

Postby S. K. Dixon » Sat May 06, 2006 1:55 pm

It's a wonderful experience, especially when the SFS Mommie does all the work and takes care of healthy babies! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Sara Katherine Dixon
and the
Zoo at 1522
"Hope is the thing with feathers" (or fur)
"that perches in your soul." Emily Dickinson

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sat May 06, 2006 2:06 pm

Congratulations! I really hope that she does have pups!
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat May 06, 2006 2:16 pm

That's just great!! I'll be a Great Grandsquammy! :multi:

Judy

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Pearl expecting?

Postby Joan » Sat May 06, 2006 2:53 pm

marilyn wrote: ... Last night I had both cages open and Pearl spent a lot of time exploring the travel cage so I closed her into it when I went to bed. I moved her "blankie" from her nest box into the new nest box and she is sleeping there now.... I've read everything I could find posted about breeding and pregnancy and am trying to do everything suggested as far as diet, etc.

That'll do fine as she won't get out much after the pups come and she won't have to fret about Burl being around.
Make sure she gets protein ... chicken, eggs, mealworms, etc. Have a cuttle bone or other calcium source available to her. If you sprinkle calcium power on her food several days a week, increase it by one day. Waxworms have a lot of fat and are good while the pups are developing before birth and while she nurses.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

marilyn
NFSA Member

Postby marilyn » Sat May 06, 2006 8:20 pm

Thank you everyone for the good wishes.
Joan, She has a cuddle bone, mineral block and L&M vitamins in her water. I recently tried giving her crickets, but she didn't like them. I got some mealworms the other day and she loves them. I also catch moths for them most nights. Oh, she also gets LeCreme yogurt every night. I do give them chicken whenever we have it. She is very active and looks very healthy. You realize, she could be related to Mishi.....
Congrats to you Judy on more greats!
I'll keep ya'll posted on her progress.
Marilyn
Marilyn & David

Owned by Dixie, Heidi & Houdini

In Loving Memory of Burl

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sat May 06, 2006 8:29 pm

[quote="marilyn"] ... You realize, she could be related to Mishi.....

Then, you will get 3 healthy pups and have a VERY good mama. :D Sounds like you are doing everything needed. I gut load my mealworms with calcium.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”