Thinking about breeding

Brittany Lynne
Teen HOF
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Thinking about breeding

Postby Brittany Lynne » Mon May 29, 2006 10:18 pm

I've been thinking about hobby breeding. There are alot of people who look for flyers around New York and I want to help them out to get these amazing little critters. I'm thinking about staying with my dad on Long Island because I have too many friends here. What do you guys think about me breeding?
Brittany

Beverly
NFSA Member

Postby Beverly » Tue May 30, 2006 6:52 am

I think it's wonderful that you'll be staying on Long Island. I think getting involved in breeding flyers would be a huge mistake -- mostly, for the flyers. I don't think you're able to provide an appropriate habitat for a female flyer and her pups, and I don't think you'd be able to hand tame the pups to give them the foundation they need, to be companions. I recommend you wait until you have considerably more experience with flyers, and wait until you're out of school, gainfully employed, and living on your own, in a place where you can devote a full room to a flyer family, before embarking on such an endeavour.
{D {D {D Lots of Acorns to you, from
Beverly and the Denizens of
The Den Drey at Phantom Farm
What the world needs now are MORE SQUIRRELS! Then there would not be so many NUTS running around loose!

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Tue May 30, 2006 8:08 am

I agree with Darra & Beverly. I'd had Whiz for over a year before deciding to get him a companion... I ended up with 2 females instead of one. It took a very long time for them to accept each other and get along, and I had 2 new personalities to learn and bond with. In short, you can't just get a mate, throw them in a cage together and expect instant romance. You would need to start with 2 separate cages, lots of room, and lots of patience.

You will put a lot of time and attention into your first flyer, and when you get a second one, all of that will double! I'm fortunate enough to be retired, but these 3 keep me as busy as my 3 children did!!! I think you're too young to be tied to a cage all the time. You will want to go out for the evening, but they will want their play and bonding time.

Give this a lot more thought.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Brittany Lynne
Teen HOF

Postby Brittany Lynne » Tue May 30, 2006 11:40 am

Thanks guys, I think more about it.
Brittany

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”