Someone please educate me on the males

Natalie
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Someone please educate me on the males

Postby Natalie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:10 pm

I just received the 2 adopted flyers. Male (obviously) and female.
He has huge gonads!!! I've read back on the forum on the breeding section and maturity. What do they mean when they say "when the gonads are asending and desending". I mean, I know what that is but, do they come and go according to the breeding season?
Best estimate of age on these are about 2 yrs. old. And have not had a litter yet. I think we are still in the breeding season and am hoping we have a pregnancy. I'm putting a 2nd nesting box in the cage so they can have their own beds if preferred.
I guess my late guy Chi was not a male after all. He didn't have gonads like this. Poor thing....I gender confused him and myself for that matter.
I just assumed he was a he because after he fell into the cold simmering oil liquid, I had to wash him good. While I was drying his little belly something popped up like a little penis. So I assumed it was a male. However he never developed gonads or at least none that were as prominate as this one's are.
Natalie

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Someone please educate me on the males

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:50 pm

[quote="Natalie"]...What do they mean when they say "when the gonads are asending and desending". I mean, I know what that is but, do they come and go according to the breeding season?

Yes and it's very obvious.

Best estimate of age on these are about 2 yrs. old. And have not had a litter yet. I think we are still in the breeding season and am hoping we have a pregnancy.

This is around the time a usual pair may start to breed.

I'm putting a 2nd nesting box in the cage so they can have their own beds if preferred.

Put in two more so you have one more nest box than flyers. Females will move pups around. If you do get a pregnancy, the female will kick the male out and start being aggressive toward him. So, unless you have a really big cage, remove him to the safety of his own cage.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Natalie
Baby Flyer

Postby Natalie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:28 pm

Thank you Joan. I thought I knew a little about flyers. Poor lil Chi...he was a she :? . He passed away last March and we so miss "her".
I think we'll name these two Mork and Mindy. Mindy is missing half of her tail, poor baby.
Natalie

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:17 pm

i didn't know about the asending and desending thing! i was wondering why Emo looked ... "smaller" than before. That is very interresting!

ne way those sound like cute names. good luck with having babies!
~t Christina j~
Loving Squammy of Emo (RIP, 3/17/2006-6/15/2012)

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”