How often do flyers breed?

NestleQuick
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

How often do flyers breed?

Postby NestleQuick » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:48 am

I was considering getting a male for my squirrelie girl but was wondering how often they breed? I noticed in other posts that the females go into heat, is that once a year, more? Do they reproduce like bunnies? I would like to let her have babies once, but probably no more than that. Also, what kind of problems might I have if I brought a male into Nestle's home? I know I would have to keep them in separate cages for a while, but are there any other things I should be careful with if I'm introducing an older female to a younger male? Thanks for the help!

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:56 am

Im fairly sure normaly they have 2 seasons. One in the fall and one in the spring if I recall correctly.

If your new to flyers I'd sugest waiting for a bit.
There are things about rogue Im Just now learning about as she gets older. Also If you get a 2nd one it may interfear with the bond you are working on with your 1st.
When I 1st got Rogue, I thought I might wanna breed her eventualy.....i've since changed my mind, so think it through.

Also a biggi for me was that Im in CA. and while there may be vets here its doubtfull they have a *lot of exsperience w/ these guys so complications with the birth would be a worry for me.

WantsAFlyer
Flying Furball

Postby WantsAFlyer » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:37 pm

I don't think you should breed because you are so new and really don't know enough to even consider it yet. A lot of your learning will come from first hand experience and you haven't had your flyer long enough to of had much. Plus you live in California. Flyers are illegal in California and it would be irresponsible to breed them there. Where would the pups go? Breeding because your friends or family want one is not a good reason.
Sorry if this is harsh, but I have pretty strict views on breeding animals.

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”