my goodness, kiwi may be pregnant.

Kiwisgirl
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

my goodness, kiwi may be pregnant.

Postby Kiwisgirl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:55 pm

So about 2months ago I got another squirrel(rescue) "she" was very untame and not kind. I was told by the previous owner that thay had "her" for about a year and a half.
I sexed "her" myself and I didnt see any manly marks so I assumed with the age I was told that we had another female.

Well a month ago I finally put "her" with kiwi(female) and dash(neutered male)

The new "girl" never came up for "her" daily ration of pecans a mealworms, id always just put them in "her" pouch and leave her alone.

Today "she" came out and was against the screen and I could clearly see manlyness. Which I am POSITIVE wasnt there before, im thinking the lady who gave him to me must have lied for some reason about how long she had him. Oh well.

Now im afraid he has impregnated kiwi.

Is 3 and a half too old for a squirrel to have babies?
What about complications.

Oh I really dont know what to do, that is if she is going to have babies.
I would keep all of them, but I just dont want anything to happen to my beloved kiwi with having babies.

What are some signs to look for to see if she is pregnant?
Or is there any good specific websites on raising babies?

Thanks for all the help anyone can give.

Ps: I am going to take my new found boy to be neutered asap.
Kayla

Owned by:
Kiwi :smt051
Dash :silly:

Lora
NFSA Member

My goodness kiwi may be pregnant

Postby Lora » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:21 pm

You probably need Joan for this one but I can tell you that 3 1/2 is probably a good age. Not to young & certainly not too old. From what I've read you really won't have to do anything other than maybe moving the boys to another cage. Mom pretty much does all the work. Try not to worry. I'm sure everything will be ok.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:33 pm

Try not to worry so much. The very best "specific website" on caring for pregnant females and raising babies is this website. You have all the help and information you need right here.
You will know if Kiwi is preggers if she wants the boys gone. She will make this very clear.
In the meantime just try to relax, feed Kiwi well with lots of protien and calcium.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: my goodness, kiwi may be pregnant.

Postby Joan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:58 pm

[quote="Kiwisgirl"]...Today "she" came out and was against the screen and I could clearly see manlyness. Which I am POSITIVE wasnt there before, im thinking the lady who gave him to me must have lied for some reason about how long she had him. Oh well.

Not necessarily ... Laura had Rockie for 3 1/2 years before HE showed he was a male. LOL Most do by 3 to 6 months.

Is 3 and a half too old for a squirrel to have babies?

Goodness no. Mishi is going to be 4 in August and she's had her 8th litter in June. And the way she acting toward Chuck, there may be another in Sept. :twisted:

What about complications.

I've never heard of any.

... but I just dont want anything to happen to my beloved kiwi with having babies.

She be fine .... not sure about squammy though. :wink:

What are some signs to look for to see if she is pregnant?
Or is there any good specific websites on raising babies?

See: http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

tammy

kiwisgirl

Postby tammy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:31 pm

hey, do you know if kiwi is pregnant? would you be willing to let someone who has one sfs adopt? my princess needs a friend other than me. i also know rangerblp from ms. is looking to adopt also. we don't live that far away from each other. maybe if you are willing one of us might be able to pick them up if we share the expect. thank you, tammy
tammy

tammy

kiwisgirl

Postby tammy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:52 pm

hi, i tried to post this message but i'm not sure if it posted where you will see it. i think it went to the message board and this may go there also. i'm just not sure. i was wanting to know if kiwi is pregnant and if you would be willing to let me adopt one of her babies. i have a sfs that is around 5 mo. she is from the wild. she was brough to my home by our cat. after a hard rain and strong winds. i had no ideal where to take her so she could get back with her mother. so i made her my baby. she was not hurt. i have read and have learned alot about how to care for her but she needs a furball friend. thank you, tammy
tammy

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”