Re: Is it Flyer incest when brother and sister mate lol?

andy02gandy
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby andy02gandy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:47 pm

Hi Everyone! I have a question this may sound a little weired but i have two flyers a male (Springer) and a female (Bashful/Meme) and they are about four months old and the male (Springer) keeps trying to mate with the female (Bashful/Meme) what should i do? Since the female goes into heat about twice a year how should i seperate them and when (What months) so they don't mate or is it ok for them to mate since they are from the same litter or are they gonna end up with 3 eyes and 4 ears lol!!! :D :D

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:21 pm

In my own Non-HOF opinion, I would seperate them. But I think Joan and the others will bring more informational reasons into this, but my reasoning is such: I wouldn't let a brother/sister dog breed, so why would I let a brother/sister squirrel or other animal breed?
Rest in Peace Gypsy, I wish you were still with us.
Smudge, have fun in cat heaven.

HOF to: Hijack

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:01 pm

[quote="andy02gandy"].. the male (Springer) keeps trying to mate with the female (Bashful/Meme) what should i do?
It is probably dominance play. Most pups "hump" each other in play and establishing dominance. That said, the youngest female, I know of, to reproduce was 4 months old. Your male is a little too young.

Since the female goes into heat about twice a year how should i seperate them and when (What months) so they don't mate
Good luck figuring that one out. Supposedly, the female is in heat for 48 hours and the male must be "scrotal" at the same time. My female had 4 litters last year and Chuck was abdominal during part of that time. So, if you don't what them breeding, keep them apart permanently or have the male neutered.

or is it ok for them to mate since they are from the same litter or are they gonna end up with 3 eyes and 4 ears lol!!! :D :D
I'm sure there is inbreeding in the wild, but we just don't know. Most of us hobby breeders do not inbreed for the same reason good breeders of other animals don't. Inbreeding may be necessary to breed for color or specific charasteristics, but most of us are not into that.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:47 pm

As was mentioned, at this point, they are a little too young to have any babies, but you should separate them or get the male neutered soon. Inbreeding can cause various birth defects and weaknesses in offspring.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

paulette
Juvie Pup

Postby paulette » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:57 pm

I agree with them but if you want to breed get another one for the male
and one for the girl or fix them.
Paulette
Home of the original pocket pouch tee-shirt & pocket pouch hoodies
http://www.pkmsboutique.com
http://www.newagesugargliders.com
teddybearokay@tampabay.rr.com
sugar gliders (many)
2 ringtail lumers
2 kinkajous
1 dog
1 hubby

andy02gandy
Baby Flyer

Postby andy02gandy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:54 pm

I am in the nursing/medical field and i do know the implications of interbreeding. There is not even enough research about flying squirrles to even say that they do not interbreed or specifically what dates they are sexually mature and even far as mating seasons everything is aprox. because like with most animals interbreeding does occur in the wild sometimes and it varies with each community. I cant seperate the squirrles because its impossible! I will have to exchange my male with the father which is still techinally very close to their bloodline, so is that still to close for them to mate no one really knows!!!! I have also contacted many vets about neutering and no one wants to take a chance on such a small animal that could perish on the o.r. table plus i am from Detroit, Michigan where no one even knows enough about them to operate. To whom i may offended by making jokes about the topic should not have taken it literally!!!Thank you all for your help!

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:32 pm

Have you checked with the vet schools closest to you? There should be someone there familiar with neutering small animals. Also, you can find a list of exotic animal vets in 'Critters' magazine, and it should also indicate which vets are familiar with flying squirrels.

Although close inbreeding is not particularly desirable, it is also not as terrible as many seem to think. All of the specific breeds of dogs, horses, etc, were created using inbreeding and linebreeding. It's just a matter of having a clear picture of what you are breeding for and what you want to avoid, a good knowledge of how to get there, a GIANT sized helping of patience, and the ability to recognize success when you finally achieve it! Of all of these, I think patience is the most difficult!

Judy

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:09 pm

[quote="andy02gandy"]... There is not even enough research about flying squirrles to even say that they do not interbreed

This year's Conference speaker, Richard L. Essner, Ph.D., http://www.siue.edu/artsandsciences/biology/ressner/ currently has one graduate student conducting a study to estimate relatedness among flyers who naturally inhabit the same nestbox in the wild. Some of the questions about inbreeding may be answered.

I cant seperate the squirrles because its impossible! I will have to exchange my male with the father which is still techinally very close to their bloodline, so is that still to close for them to mate no one really knows!!!!

They certainly can mate, but I imagine you are more concerned about birth defects that result from close inbreeding.

I have also contacted many vets about neutering and no one wants to take a chance on such a small animal that could perish on the o.r. table plus i am from Detroit, Michigan where no one even knows enough about them to operate.

Any vet that neuters rats should be able to do it. You probably need to consult an exotic pet vet.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Sweet Pea
NFSA Member

Postby Sweet Pea » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:19 am

Have a heart, don’t neuter him!!!!! I you find a vet to operate on the little guy, go for a vasectomy and let him enjoy life more.  No kidding I think you are all missing a very important fact, does he have his “jewels” yet? Without them It as Joan says, it’s just the way they play.
I have had two flyers. One for 4 1/2 years and on for only 9 months when I lost him. I am very lonesome now without there companionship. I need to find a baby flyer.THANKS TO THE GOOD LORD I FOUND ONE !![url][/url]

USMom
Juvie Pup

Postby USMom » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:11 pm

There is a vet in Detroit, actually closer to Redford, that neuters Sugar Gliders. I will get his name for you. I bet he'd do a FS. We call him Dr G, I just don't know his real name and clinic. But will shortly.

Here is the link-- http://www.cantoncenteranimalhospital.com/ It is Andrew M. Grzanowski that I am referring to. I have actually met him, and he is very nice, very serious, and very much an animal lover.

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”