can older femalr flyers breed?

Tamis
Flying Furball

can older femalr flyers breed?

Postby Tamis » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:48 am

Hello. I saw Dennis post saying he had a 5 yr old for the first time pregnant so this makes me think its ok( i did not see an outcome of the pups or female). I am possibly getting a friend for my male Secret. She will be 3 1/2 yrs old if I get her. I have thought of the possibility of pups and I would love to take on that responsibility. Is it ok for an older female to have pups for the first time? I know in hedgehogs if they are not breed at just old enough there is risk of their hips fusing and then you cannot breed them without risk of losing the female. Do female squirrels do this also? I just want to know for sure it is OK prior to leaving them together. I will of course introduce them properly and assure they can get along prior to letting them have any unsupervised play. Please advise me of any experiences you can share with me. Thanks again for the great advice I have come to expect =)
Tamis I am all kinds of excited at this prospect. If they dont breed that is ok too.. I just want to ensure she will be ok if that happens.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: can older femalr flyers breed?

Postby Joan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:24 am

[quote="Tamis"]... She will be 3 1/2 yrs old if I get her. Is it ok for an older female to have pups for the first time?

Since they can live up to 20 in captivity, I wouldn't call 3 1/2 older.

I know in hedgehogs if they are not breed at just old enough there is risk of their hips fusing and then you cannot breed them without risk of losing the female. Do female squirrels do this also?

I've never heard of it.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Yolanda
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Yolanda » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:21 pm

Tamis wrote: I know in hedgehogs if they are not breed at just old enough there is risk of their hips fusing and then you cannot breed them without risk of losing the female

I think that's true with guinea pigs.
Yolanda

owned by Lukas and his children: Hickory, Queen Nefertiti, Yuki, Buttercup, Lily, and Jib; RIP George (mate of Lucas and mother of his children)
Cinderella the rabbit
Jasper, Sibbie, Echo, Simon, Sphinx, Cotton, and Indigo (cats)

Kiki
Teen HOF

Postby Kiki » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:23 am

This is something I'd really like to know aswell. Any of you experts out there want to come educate us? Is it more difficult for an older female to give birth for the first time? I have a little girl who is around 8-9yrs old that I have often thought about getting a friend for but I didn't know if giving birth at her age for the first time in her life, would be too hard on her. I would love to have a baby or two from this girl to remember her by as she was my first flyer and the sweetest little angel. I know she'd make a great mommy, she builds extravigant nests in her huge cage and is just a little goof. Anyway any info or input would be great! :wink:
Slave to
4 suggies
3 dogs
3 ferrets
2 wallabies
1 geoffroys cat
2 house cats
1 southern flyer
1 northern flyer & more to come!

davecove

Postby davecove » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:06 am

I think that's true with guinea pigs.

It is 'for sure' true with guinea pigs. We raise hairless guinea pigs (skinny pigs and baldwins).

But I would be surprised if it were true for squirrels of any type. Unlike most rodents, guinea pig babies are <i>huge</i> and very well developed when born (this is true for all of the cavimorphs I think). That is where the pelvic trouble comes from. Squirrel babies are more like other rodents, small and under-developed. I can't see they would have problems passing thru a pelvis.

Dave

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:51 pm

My Mishi is 6 YO and still spitting pups out like a PEZ dispencer. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:00 pm

I'll check on this with my Wildlife Biologist daughter. My first reaction would be that the bones could become more rigid as they age, but I don't think anything 'fuses' or continues to grow to the point they couldn't have babies. There must be a natural hormone decrease with age; that's true for all mammals. I'll let y'all know what she says!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”