New owner, breeding question....

Squirrely3
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

New owner, breeding question....

Postby Squirrely3 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:58 am

I just rescued 3 from a guy who had them in a tiny unclean cage. He had them for a few months and said they bred. Now it's 2 males and 1 female. I am hoping they won't breed, or that she wasn't bred, as I don't want babies!!!!!! I have to seperate them today, which I will do, but that means 1 will be alone....should I seperate or not? When I got them...yesterday....I noticed they are a little fat..which from not having exercise I can see that, but 1 had some diarreah, I think the female. Should I worry? It's not a sign of babies is it? Help would be great.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:34 am

Hi, and Welcome. First of all, how old are your flyers? Second, just because the previous owner said he saw them breeding doesn't necessairly mean that you have anything to worry about - flyers will hump each other as a dominance thing, and it doesn't have to be a male/female thing. It could just as well be two females or two males. Even little pups will do it. They will also hump a little stuffed animal,(even, at times. their HOFs wrist).

If it WAS a breeding issue, it still doesn't mean she is pregnant. A female flyer is receptive for only a very short period of time. For a successful breeding, the female has to be receptive, and the male has to be scrotal. There are people that have kept flyers together for years, and never gotten a litter. (And then, of course, there are Chuck and Mishi, who seem to only have to catch sight of each other and a month and a half later there are pups!)

If you don't want pups, you will either have to separate them, or have the male nutered. As to whether or not the male will be lonely if they are separated, that will depend a lot on how well the male bonds to you, and how much time you can spend playing with him.

As for being overweight - how big is their cage? How much 'out-of-cage time do they get to play with you? Do they have a Stealth Wheel to run on? They will really burn a lot of calories in a wheel - they will run in it nearly all night. What kind of diet do they get? For the diarrhea, or loose stooles, try adding some yogurt to their diet. (I use Dannon LaCreme.) Mine all love yogurt, any flavor'. and get it about 2 or 3 times a week. Just be sure that the yogurt you get has live culture, and is regular yogurt, NOT lite, and has NO sugar substitute!

Good luck with your new 'family'. Read all the educational threads on here, and, if you need something, always ask - someone here should know the answer.

Judy

Squirrely3
Baby Flyer

Postby Squirrely3 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:06 pm

Judy C. wrote:[size=18]Hi, and Welcome. First of all, how old are your flyers?

I have no idea of age. I'm assuming they are maybe 5 years...the guy had them for a long time. Oh and he did have 1 litter, cause I wanted a baby, but he sold them too fast.

As for being overweight - how big is their cage? How much 'out-of-cage time do they get to play with you? Do they have a Stealth Wheel to run on?

There cage is like 18" by 12" by 24" high. It's WAY to tiny for 1 let alone for 3! So I got them a big'n now. I haven't played with them yet. I did however pet them a little while cleaning their filthy house. Didn't go over well, they didn't like it much, but I didn't get bit. And no, no wheel yet. Gotta wait till pay day to get toys and such. I just had enough money for the cage and food for them.

What kind of diet do they get?

I got them a nice seed mix that has fruits and veggies in it, they love it. Plus I give them fruits and veggies every night.

Hope I'm doing alright so far.......

But will they breed being 2 males and only 1 female? I mean it seems like the 2 larger ones are bonded (large male and her) while the smaller male is just there.....I got a friend who might want him, but I don't know if their a "clan" or whatever it's called?????? And then I'll have 2 singles and.......geesh this is weird....

Lora
NFSA Member

Postby Lora » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:27 pm

Two males may be overly attentive to her. If you can maybe put the 2 of them in a cage together & the female by herself. Something tells me she'll enjoy the peace, lol. Sounds like you rescued these little ones from a bad situation. Will take lots of time & patience to win their trust but it can be done. Keep us posted.

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”