I could use some advice or information Please.

Mary
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

I could use some advice or information Please.

Postby Mary » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:22 pm

I took my Peanut over to my brothers home to stay with his little girl, Muffin. We have been working on getting them use to each other. Finally in the middle of January, We moved Peanut into Muffins cage. For the last month they have been living together and getting along great and Muffin would even "tease" Peanut.
Up until last night everything has gone great. I decided not to go over tonight but my brother called me. He noticed Muffin stuck her head out but tried to get Peanut to look out of his box and he was not in there. Dan checked his nest box and Muffin took all his fleece bedding out and his stored nuts and moved them to her nest box. (There is 3 nest boxes, a fleece tent and a hanging bag in the cage).Peanut had moved into the fleece sack hanging in the cage.

Can anyone tell me what this means?
I know it is breeding season.
If she is about to go into heat, is this what they do to there mates nest box?
Or is she getting into a mood and wants Peanut out of there? Is there reason for me to be worried?

Thanks for any help
Mary

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:13 pm

Although they weren't together very long, there is always the chance that she is pregnant and has just kicked him out. Or maybe she's just in a mood - with flyers sometimes it's hard to tell!!

Judy

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:49 am

Thanks Judy.
I don't think she is pregnant. He sleeps in his own nest box in her cage, so far.
I understand the two actually mating would be rare because they are not raised together. We hope they mate but if they don't, thats ok too. We are very interested in watching how they interact with each other and so far it has been a joy.
My sweet little boy is actually letting her take his nesting material and food out of his box and not fighting to keep any(so far). This surprises me. I wonder what "line" she is feeding him. :twisted:

I wished I could be there when they do these things but it is later in the evening and I am back home. The roads may be to icy tonight to go over. I am anxious to hear from Dan on how last night went.

Thanks for any input. It helps me to imagine what might be going on in the wee hours of the morning since I can not be there.

Mary

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:05 am

I don't know much about breeding flyers, however, I do know sometimes it happens sooner than you think. Martie and Pistol became parents less than seven months after meeting for the first time.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:31 am

We do not see any interest in mating other then her taking his bedding. She does not seem interested in that. He chases her a lot and they get along real good. She let him keep his new nesting material last night and did not take any out of his box.

Our main concern was how they interacted with each other and that has been rewarding. It would be nice if they would mate but for now we are just enjoying watching the 2 together during this mating season.

I don't have a female so when she took his bedding and he let her, there was flashing lights wondering if she might be prepareing a nest for babies.

All's quiet for now.
Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:33 pm

Last Sunday morning, Dan noticed Peanut was sleeping in Muffins nest box. Muffin was out on her wheel so we have no idea if they did cuddle up for the night. He has been back in his own box since then.

I am curious. If you have a breeding pair or a female and male together in one cage, do they ever sleep in the female nestbox even out of mating season or do they always sleep in their own beds?

Thanks
Mary

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:51 pm

Breeding is tricky.

First, they have to like each other. That could take a while. I had Whiz for about a year before Peaches & Cookie came to us. They were all about the same age. There was no interest in breeding for OVER a year after that, even though there were obvious symptoms of being "in heat".

Second, they both have to be in heat at the EXACT same time, and there is only a 24 hr window when the female can concieve.

Peaches and Whiz never produced a litter in 3 years. Cookie has produced 3 litters from him in about 18 months time.

Peaches was too busy "mothering" me to be bothered with having pups, I guess :?
State and Federal permit holder

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks Peep.
Muffin is not swollen or anything. Only in her belly from eating to much. Muffin has been a real sweetheart. No PMS for quite a long time.

Peanut always has to chase her. She will even wait for him before taking off again. They seem to get a long very well. She won't let him on her wheel. He does not use one anyway. He just wants to "be Close" to her. She teases him alot.

It just wishful thinking. I know its not going to really happen.

Thanks
Mary

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”