Question concerning breeding and maturity...

TheAnimalsGuardian
Baby Flyer
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Question concerning breeding and maturity...

Postby TheAnimalsGuardian » Thu May 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Well, I have 3 lil one as some of you know. Malachi, Pheonia, and Chip. Well, Pheonia about 3 months ago became very , well, in nice words.. :bad-words: moody.. haha
Well, I figured she was pregnant. Well, months pasted and nothing happened and her behavior remained. I've heard they go through times of terrible twos, now does that last for a LONG TIME? Or that period of time.. Then I noticed a protruding bulge in her lower reagions, now is Pheonia a boy? Because I thought you sex by the space of the pink things from one another, haha and I believed I read her to be a girl. Maybe I read wrong? Then again recently I caught her humping Chip, my boy? Is that normal for females to hump boys, she also does it to Malachi? She also spends more time alone now.. She doesn't fight with the other ones. But she will try to take there food from their mouths. Well, mainly the peanuts i give them by hand, because they only get them by coming to me and well Pheonia doesn't haha. She goes without; if she doesn't come to me, though she use to when I first got her, but now shes like emotional. I got them around 4 months old and now they are all about 10 months old now. So relative to sexuall maturity. Pheonia is now twice the size of the otheres with a protruding belly but i believe the bulge is gone.. i can't really see, shes been sleeping a lot more now..??? Can someone help please? [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Rest in Peace TJ!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Question concerning breeding and maturity...

Postby Joan » Thu May 29, 2008 5:04 pm

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=80
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6581

TheAnimalsGuardian wrote:...Then again recently I caught her humping Chip, my boy? Is that normal for females to hump boys, she also does it to Malachi?

Humping is a form of play for pups and also a way of establishing dominance by either sex.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Katayun
NFSA Member

Postby Katayun » Thu May 29, 2008 5:09 pm

is it normal that Kiwi is CONSTANTLY humping my fingers.... i'd like to think of them as hugs!
:cat: Kat + Kiwi

TheAnimalsGuardian
Baby Flyer

Postby TheAnimalsGuardian » Thu May 29, 2008 5:45 pm

haha, Thank God mine doesn't do that just yet. I have done as much research on these little buggers I could, there is just so little on captivity breeding and if anyone knows a site I don't know , please share. I have there care and maintanace to a T, they are spoiled.. haha When I moves I am working on a cage desighn for my basement, its a 8 ft tall by 12 foot square round aviary.. I can't wait to build it. The best part about it ,is my father works for a metal shop and most of the materials I need are there. It is a great to have people in high places. :!: :!: (Please note, these are scap materials in which permission was obtained) :wink: If for reason these guys do breed, I assure you they are all almost staying with me, (My friend Medina, is hoping two for himself.) "He loves mine and wants to get two boys and name them Chip and Dale, lol". I said to him "They are not chipmunks" lol.. I'm sure I will eventually have to seperate them by sex. Now another thing is , if pregnant she is, SHOULD SHE BE REMOVED FROM THAT CAGE? I have a another huge cage I can keep her in.... Thanks so much for y'alls help thus far!! :multi: :n00b: :multi:

Rest in Peace TJ!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu May 29, 2008 6:23 pm

Katayun wrote:is it normal that Kiwi is CONSTANTLY humping my fingers.... i'd like to think of them as hugs!

Hugs! LOL Chuck used to hump my wrist to beat the band. When he started biting my wrist to try and get me to hold still, I got Mishi. :twisted: They've had 28 pups. :!:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu May 29, 2008 6:30 pm

[quote="TheAnimalsGuardian"]... there is just so little on captivity breeding and if anyone knows a site I don't know , please share.

There is no site that I know of ... just message boards. The only literature I know of is Curt Howard's pamphlet that Brisky's now sells. They edited it to include their "flyer food" and it's somewhat dated. Your best bet is asking hobby breeders on the boards.

... I am working on a cage desighn for my basement, its a 8 ft tall by 12 foot square round aviary.. I can't wait to build it.

Sounds cool ... gliding room maybe.

... Now another thing is , if pregnant she is, SHOULD SHE BE REMOVED FROM THAT CAGE? I have a another huge cage I can keep her in....

I move the male and let the female stay in her familar cage.

TheAnimalsGuardian
Baby Flyer

Postby TheAnimalsGuardian » Fri May 30, 2008 1:03 pm

"I move the male and let the female stay in her familar cage"

Okay kool, Thanks for your help.. Yeah, I figured the literature on flyers was limited. Thats why I'm so excited to have found this place. Though, I've read a ton on wild breeding, and imitated their natural habitat in there cage they live in as much as possible. As soon as I can I will share pixs.. Though, there is such a big difference in needful knowledge between wild flyers and captive. I guess I will learn as I go. I'm glad I'm going for animal medicine so studying them can be just apart of typical research.. fun.. fun.. :multi: :multi:

Rest in Peace TJ!

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”