Babies 'r A-comin'

lynn
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Babies 'r A-comin'

Postby lynn » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:57 am

Babies 'r a-comin'! Calypso escaped her box one dark night in February, and met up with her favorite pal, Bunpei. They love each other, and had a not-so-clandestine rendezvous. 42 days later is next Wednesday! (Those two want to be together all the time. I'd let them live together, but I don't know if there is enough interest to find homes for all those babies!)
She's been holed up in her box a lot more this past week or so, but she'll come out and play for a little while, so I don't think there are babies yet. Last night, she decided she wanted some of the waxworms I was feeding to the other girls, and came out to chase them away. I noticed more visible nipples, and a slightly pink genital area, so I think it's almost time!
Wish me luck -- I'm going to get up the courage to check the box tonight. Last year she was VERY protective!
Lynn's spastic nuts: Bunpei, Boeing, Calypso, Dixie, and Piper.

Ardilla
NFSA Member

Re: Babies 'r A-comin'

Postby Ardilla » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:03 pm

How exciting!

I hope you don't get your face chewed off. ;)
Image Image Image

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:32 pm

How's the check go?
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Alright; something is definitely wrong with the water at my house. After a no-go with Piper (accident, totally!) Calypso didn't have babies. She showed all the signs, but no babies. It's OK with me either way, but this is the second near-miss this spring. Weird, don't you think? I should have known there were no babies, because she never drew blood when I played with her!
:evilbat:

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue May 12, 2009 8:29 am

OK, this time it's is a sure thing. 3 beautiful, fat, pink babies! I haven't checked for boys or girls yet, because I don't want to stress mom. I only found them because she didn't come out to play for two nights, and I wanted to check on her. The second night, she didn't even nibble at food or water, and I was really worried. Now I know why!
Babies, babies, babies . . . Yay! I needed some fun in my life this spring! :party:

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue May 12, 2009 8:33 am

Isn't it fun! :D
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Tue May 12, 2009 8:45 am

Yes!! I need to live in a flyer-full woods where I can have them coming in the windows at night. Also, I need a different style house so we can run around together, 'cause right now they would get lost down the vents or escape through a crack in the 125+ year old construction.
I'm really excited to have these guys for the next couple of months!

lynn
Flying Furball

Postby lynn » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:02 pm

The boys are out of the nest, and are starting to have fun! Piper doesn't seem at all worried about them being gone. She checked around the box at first, but by the next day, she apparently forgot. I have been feeding them with a syringe and nipple, but they don't eat as much as I think they should. Imagine my surprise when they turned up their nose at a bite of apple! The will pick up a sunflower seed and carry it around for 5 minutes, but can't quite get it open yet! :playingleapfrog:
Why are there no food remains in the nest box? Does mom carry food in for them? She certainly isn't a clean-freak, so I don't think she is emptying the trash. And she would never allow them to poke their noses out of the nest, so I don't think they were running around the cage, either. Someday I'm going to leave one in there until it's weaned, just to watch how mom handles the weaning/kicking out process.
I think all 3 have homes already. Whew! I'd love to keep them all, but . . . no more room! I need to spend more time with the furballs I already have; they are starting to feel a little neglected. Last night, the girls dive-bombed me for about an hour. We're talking super-gliding, smash-landings! I think they want more attention. Or, they didn't like the vacuum and were expressing their opinion on my head. :silly:

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”