introducing two flyers.......

pappy1264
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

introducing two flyers.......

Postby pappy1264 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:37 am

I have had Luna for two years (she was found abandoned, so before that, we have no history, such as age, on her). This past weekend, I got a male, Rocket. He was in a pet store that had closed down and the woman that had him is ill and could no longer care for him. Again, no age on him. I have their cages side by side (although I do have a cover over his cage, should I remove it so they can see and touch each other? There is about 2 inches between the cages). I hope down the line to have them together, maybe even have babies (I know there are no breeders around here--MA. I have been looking for two years to get a friend for Luna.) It isn't the reason I got her a friend, but if it happens, that is fine. Where I don't know the ages, would how I do intros be different? I have taken a pouch from her cage and put it in his (he slept in it for two nights, but now is sleeping in the hammock, which is on the side her cage is on. He rubbed like crazy when I moved his cage next to hers the first night, I am assuming he was marking?) I also took a toy out of his cage and put it in hers (he came here with only one pouch and I didn't want to remove it right away.) She was all over the toy chewing and playing with it. How long do I wait before I take them into a tent together? Luna is only semi-tame (she got pretty po'd at me the day after he got here....she bit me for the first time in ages!) I have gliders, and know intros with them can be very tricky (speaking from experience here). But I have heard as a general rule, flyers are much easier to intro. Is that true? Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks!
Mary

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Re: introducing two flyers.......

Postby pappy1264 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:24 pm

No one?????
Mary

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:23 pm

If there is enough room, you can just put them together. First, I'd let them out in the same room together and see how they get along.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:01 pm

What I did was take them both into the tent (first I took in Rocket and let him play for a bit, then I put him in a carrier). Then took Luna in. Now, when I first put Rocket in the carrier, he was chewing on the window screen. But when I took Luna in and he saw her, he went NUTS! He began doing this loud sort of screeching/chirping sound, and was frantically trying to chew out! Luna was doing all she can to stay as far away from that carrier as possible! I took them and put them in each others cages for a few minutes (Luna proceeded to try to stash all the nuts she found in his cage....he bounced around hers like he was on speed!) When I put them back in their own cages, Luna got a drink, he got something to eat, then they both 'went to bed' like nothing had happened. So....my question is, was what Rocket was doing a GOOD SIGN? Or was he trying to get to attack? The fact Luna seemed terrified told me the latter (but I have nothing to compare it to, so don't know.) I have not tried to take them in together since, instead am just working on individual bonding with each in the tent (one residual thing, Luna has never been 'tame' and would bite if you tried to pet her. But since that happened, Luna has been sweet as pie to me....even falling asleep the other day in the tent while I petted her! Rocket is sweet as pie, which when you know he has not been held--per the woman that had him--that is pretty amazing!) I have great hopes in time I will get them together, but don't want to mess up, as Luna takes quite a while to adjust to change and the last thing I want to do is move too quickly and have it backfire. But any help or ideas (esp. on Rocket's behaviour/calls) is appreciated!

Thanks!
Attachments
Rocket tent 9.jpg
Rocket tent 9.jpg (76.52 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
Luna tent 1.jpg
Luna tent 1.jpg (40.39 KiB) Viewed 1684 times
Mary

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:08 pm

If they are about the same size, I'd let them have a go at being out together in the tent. Be prepared for shirt dives. Chuck was teffified of Mishi. LOL
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:09 pm

If Rocket wants to try to breed with Luna and she isn't having it, will they fit? I have intro'd gliders, but have never been down this road with flyers. Will I know if they are actually figting, as opposed to just chasing and 'courting' so to speak? I know all animals have a dominance thing that has to be worked out, too. I just don't want to mess up and have anyone get hurt! Also, if they start to fight, should I try to pull them apart? (Someone said to take a water bottle in......I don't want to freak either of them out). Thanks for the help.....I just want them to be happy (and I want it known, I am not 'trying to breed them', I just want Luna to have a cage mate. But if they have pups, that is fine, as I have friends who I trust who I know would love to have a baby flyer who are in legal areas.)
Mary

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”