Is it possible that our female flyer is pregnant?

ksingels
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Is it possible that our female flyer is pregnant?

Postby ksingels » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:50 pm

I've been reading all sorts of posts about the gestation periods of flyers, and yet I'm still at a loss. A few nights ago, my male Flying Squirrel Icarus died because of a hole in his nesting pouch that he stuck his head through, which was too small for his neck and apparently strangled him. When we woke up Saturday morning to check on our squirrels like we typically do, we found him with his head stuck out of the pouch, and his female mate cuddled up next to him trying to keep him warm. I've been so heartbroken ever since, especially since we got the two with the mindset and hope that they would someday breed so we could wean and let friends and family adopt the pups. He's left a big void in my chest ever since I found out he was gone.

I've estimated that he was born on January 2,2011 and his female mate was born on January 16, 2011 because we got them late February when he was 8 weeks and she was 6 weeks old. Which means that their mothers must have been in heat sometime during thanksgiving last year when they became pregnant. If he died on November 5,2011, and was a little less than a year old, and she was a little less than a year old, is there any chance that they could have possibly mated while she was in heat? I know it's silly to think that they did because it seems like quite a stretch, but I'd love nothing more than to have a little piece of my sweet chubby squirrel back, so I could be close to him even in death. I've been having a really hard time adapting to his absence, but I need to know whether to hold out hope for a litter sometime in the next 40 days or not. If anyone could give me an educated answer, it'd be greatly appreciated and help put my mind at ease, because I just need to know.

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible that our female flyer is pregnant?

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:06 pm

The only absolute proof of pregnancy is a litter. So sorry for your loss. :(
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

ksingels

Postby ksingels » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Thank you, he was taken far sooner than he should have been from me. But it's okay. It's getting easier to deal with each day that passes. I'll just cross my fingers and be on the look out for any changes in her behavior or body.

ksingels

Postby ksingels » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Do you think it'd be wise to get another male flyer to put in the same cage as our female if she doesn't end up being pregnant? The cage is pretty big so there'd be plenty of space for both of them, but do you think she'd adjust to the newcomer if I got another boy who was 6 weeks or so? She's always had her mate all her life, and I can't help but feel bad for her being in there by herself and I'm afraid she's lonely. But I'd also like to have that bond again with another baby squirrel since we've squirrel proofed our cage now that we know better.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:01 pm

ksingels wrote:Do you think it'd be wise to get another male flyer to put in the same cage as our female if she doesn't end up being pregnant?

Definitely if you are trying for pups. :twisted:

ksingels wrote: do you think she'd adjust to the newcomer if I got another boy who was 6 weeks or so?

Probably: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=197

ksingels wrote:She's always had her mate all her life, and I can't help but feel bad for her being in there by herself

Truthfully, I don't think she cares. Flyers are not monogamous by nature and do not mate for life.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”