Breeder collony question?

Delight
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Breeder collony question?

Postby Delight » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:57 pm

I have a small collony of flying squirrels one male with three females. My females will be a year old in febuary, although one of my females may be a bit older because she was bigger and meaner when she originally came to me than the two other girls were. These girls came from S&S exotics, two of the girls were obviously young (around 12wks or so) and in their first molt, the other girl was bigger and hasn't gone through a molt since she's been here.

But to get on with my question, the bigger - possibly older female is looking quite plump. I don't know if she's just packed on winter weight or if she may be pregnant. My male has been scrotal since november. I always see my male and think it's a pregnant girl because he's such a little porker but the other night all the girls were out too and the older of the girls is looking quite large - at first I thought she was my male because she was so big! So I guess my question is - would they be breeding this time of year and if so what would be my best option for seperation? It's difficult for me to get ahold of any of the girls because they're all pretty skitish - although the two younger girls are a little bit more curious because they were younger when they got here and I was able to socialize them a bit better. This older girl is very skittish though and will nail me if I get too close to her. Can I leave the girls together and just take the male out of the collony? Or should I try and remove the big female and keep her in a seperate cage? The cage they're in now is 5ft tall by 3ft wide by 2ft deep, it has three nest houses, a wheel, apple branches, hanging toys, hammoks and pouches. The older girl has also been squabbling with my male LOTS AND LOTS it sounded like I had a cage full of squeeky toys last night because when my male got too close to the nest box she was in she would fling herself out of the box and cuss at him and chase him off.

What would you suggest doing as far as the seperation of the flyers to have safe healthy pups if she is indeed pregnant?
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Breeder collony question?

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Delight wrote:... Can I leave the girls together and just take the male out of the collony? Or should I try and remove the big female and keep her in a seperate cage? The cage they're in now is 5ft tall by 3ft wide by 2ft deep,

I think I would remove the suspected pregnant one since this is a first pregnancy and you don't know how she will react with pups. There will be less stress on her being by herself.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Delight
Juvie Pup

Postby Delight » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Okay thank you. I will try and do that, it's going to be interesting trying to catch her lol.
Owned by 5 flyers, 1 geoffroys cat, 1 african serval, 1 bengal, 1 parrot & 1 dog. www.totallytameexotics.yolasite.com

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:06 am

I have a butterfly net when all else fails. You can try training her for a trap now ... give pecan bits or her favorite treats in a wide mouth vase or bottle that she can climb in. Once she's used to that, you can put something over the top and you have her. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Breeding Flying Squirrels”