Update on Angus...

Place to share all our warm and fuzzy stories.
oldsoldier
NFSA Member

Update on Angus...

Postby oldsoldier » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:48 pm

It has been a while since I last visited the forum and I just wanted to "close the loop" on Angus - my little buddy who was injured when a black rat snake tried to make a quick lunch out of him. After a couple of trips to the vet we were glad to learn that he wouldn't lose the (right-rear) foot and to the surprise of everyone (vet included) he healed with no trace of the ankle ever having been broken! After a couple of months he was as acrobatic as ever and we resumed our nightly forays into the pecan grove surrounding our house. He would dash off, do a few acrobatic and aeronautical stunts and then rejoin me. The night came when he was no longer interested in returning and, after a couple of hours I went inside after hanging his favorite shirt in one of the trees. I put his nesting box up in the same tree the next day and the following morning he was back - not in the box but in the pocket of his shirt! He jumped onto my shoulder and promptly sought out the left breast-pocket... stayed with me for two days... and, on the third night left again.
Five days later he returned to his favorite shirt again and acted as though he was as happy to see me as I was to see him. Again he spent two days with me and, on day three when we made our nightly "excursion" he left again. When I went to our covered parking area to turn off the lights he glided from high in one of the pecan trees to one of the brick columns, jumped onto my shoulder then back to the column, up to the roof and back into the trees. I have seen him only once since then!
This was the first year in four years that I didn't find orphan flying squirrels... empty nest syndrome... each one has been a unique and completely lovable little character but Angus - possibly because he was so tiny when our Australian Shepherd found him - was simply outstanding! It is always so bittersweet to see them finally leave but he left a huge empty space. Looking at my "records" of his weight, time-of-feeding, amount taken, bladder and bowel observations, date his eyes finally opened, first solid food, first clumsy glide attempts... it all seems so long ago.

Judy C.

Re: Update on Angus...

Postby Judy C. » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:57 am

A very beautiful, haunting tribute to Angus. I feel the thrill, as you did, of seeing him soar through the pecan trees, free and awesome, as he was meant to be. And the satisfaction of knowing that you had done all the right things to bring him to this point. But I also feel the emptiness in your heart, not having him by you. You know that he is out in the trees, and that he has not forgotten you, and he will always be in your heart. There will be other babies to rescue in the years to come. They won't be Angus, but they don't need to be - they will be their own little selves, with their own personalities and their own set of problems and joys. Who knows - maybe one of them will be Angus' offspring!

Judy C.

oldsoldier
NFSA Member

Postby oldsoldier » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:00 am

I actually started this to say "thank you" to the folks here who provided advice and encouragement when Angus was injured... started recalling things and couldn't see to type any longer! This is the belated thank you. There are a lot of really knowledgeable, compassionate people who participate here and I am deeply indebted for the service, support and caring. May God bless each of you even more abundantly.

violetlady
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby violetlady » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:13 am

Awwwww, what a beautiful story beautifully told! I'm new to the board & to flyers & agree that this forum is a valuable source of info provided by some wonderful people! Thanks for the update, it was a joy to read it.
HOF to Ziggy

sultry412006
Baby Flyer

Postby sultry412006 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:30 am

Wow what a beautiful story. One that will never leave your heart. I have only known about the flyers for a short time my cat brought me a present in the house one day. I couldnt believe my eyes. I picked the little guy up and craddled him and found something right away to put him in. Everyone thought i was crazy. But thanks to this site i have learned alot also. I so enjoy reading everyones stories about there flyers. We put ours on some antibiotics and after he finshed it he has more energy than i can handle. I am about the only one that really does much with him but i enjoy him so much. Anyone who ever has a flyer knows how it feels to have one in there life. They are such a great pleasure. Fluffy my flyer is not a young one so i just keep telling myself i will enjoy him as long as i can. And give him the best life i can why he is here. Thanks to all.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:07 am

sultry412006 wrote:... We put ours on some antibiotics and after he finshed it he has more energy than i can handle.

Yes, the Jack Russell on caffeine Syndrone. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Squirrel Tales”