Hold the presses... Angus has a girlfriend!!!

Place to share all our warm and fuzzy stories.
oldsoldier
NFSA Member

Hold the presses... Angus has a girlfriend!!!

Postby oldsoldier » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:46 pm

Angus just made my day! Some of you may recall my "lament" when I belatedly posted the news that my little buddy Angus had chosen freedom over his life of luxury. I have agonized for many hours during the uncommonly cold weather (for our part of the country)... wondering if Angus was warm, dry and had a full belly and I have gone out many times with the searchlight hoping I would get a glimpse of my favorite furball - with no success. My worries have been compounded by the fact that we had absolutely no pecans this year - twenty-five mature trees and not a single pecan because we had only two inches of rain between the first of May and the first of September.
Today at feeding time for the horses, I looked again at Angus's nesting box nestled in a crotch of one of the really big old pecan trees and decided I should take it down and put it back in the barn in case I found any "orphans" in the future. I had checked it for the first couple of weeks, to no avail, and it was with a heavy heart that I took it down and started toward the barn. After three or four steps I looked down to see that beautiful little "turned-up" nose and warm, sweet face staring at me. I talked to him for a couple of minutes while Cricket - our Papillon/dachshund mix (nine pounds of pure love) - danced her little dance of joy. Angus was her "best-buddy" and she was convinced that he was her baby. No one was permitted to approach Angus but me because she would plant herself firmly between him and the interloper and nothing could sway her determination to insure that he was not disturbed.
I turned and replaced the nesting box and was shocked again when Angus's girl-friend came out and climbed about three feet above the box (he stayed inside). Needless to say I quickly retrieved some frozen pecans and an apple and took them out to the "shelf" area below the box. Cricket was so excited that when we came back into the house she promptly went straight to the door of the guest bathroom where Angus was sequestered during the daylight hours and scratched at the door, fully convinced that her prodigal son had returned to the fold!
You can imagine how happy I am... and tomorrow I start building nesting boxes for those twenty-five trees!

Judy C.

Re: Hold the presses... Angus has a girlfriend!!!

Postby Judy C. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:11 pm

How fantastic! What a great story. I'm so glad he came back and brought his lady friend to introduce to her human-in-law. And I like it that you are building nest boxes to put in the pecan trees. After all, what good is a pecan orchard without flyer families?

Judy C.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Can't wait for Spring and tales of the grandpups. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:18 pm

What an incredible story!!! I so enjoyed your earlier post about his departure! Like Joan, I look forward to the spring tales.
HOF to Ziggy

oldsoldier
NFSA Member

Postby oldsoldier » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 pm

I forgot to add that my boy made me proud! He has a real eye for the girls and his little sweetheart made Vivian Leigh and all the rest of the "Southern Belles" from Tara look like two-week old cold oatmeal.
After Angus's episode with the rat snake I have decided to make the nesting boxes with an entrance on each of the two sides with a partition extending from the top downward for about five inches on the inside. That way, if a snake does manage to climb the tree and get into the nesting box they still have an escape route out the other side, and with the full-width partition the snake won't have a clear shot at them.
Sure am happy to know the little guy is doing well... prayers do get answered.

Joel

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:48 pm

oldsoldier wrote:... After Angus's episode with the rat snake I have decided to make the nesting boxes with an entrance on each of the two sides with a partition extending from the top downward for about five inches on the inside. That way, if a snake does manage to climb the tree and get into the nesting box they still have an escape route out the other side, and with the full-width partition the snake won't have a clear shot at them.

Good plan Joel. Another thing you can do is wrap about three feet of the tree trunk with nylon netting. Snakes cannot climb up it, but will get caught instead.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Squirrel Tales”