New year excitment

Place to share all our warm and fuzzy stories.
Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

New year excitment

Postby Nativeprincess » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:35 am

As luck would have it, SFS can act as smoke alarms in a pinch. We discovered this new years eve when Ya'ya started throwing out her alarm call and nothing we did could calm her down. Then we noticed a slight hint of wood smoke in the air. Now this may not seem like a big deal to most in the winter, but I live in California...in a big city, fireplaces aren't even installed around here.

We couldn't figure out where the smoke was coming from but our ceiling was beginning to heat up and our upstairs neighbors weren't home so I got everyone into their cage and safely stowed away in the car while the fire department showed up and began knocking holes in the wall looking for a fire.

We were standing outside out of the way, when suddenly one of the firemen came out brandishing a smoldering -and glowing- wooden object. He walked up to me and said "Ma'am, do you know how this came to be in your oven?"

It was at this moment, with all of my neighbors staring at me, that I realize we were going to have to move, change our names, and never show our faces in public ever again. For you see, I had cleaned out Ya'ya's cage earlier that day and one of her wooden toys had become soaked as I tried to clean off the squirrel pee. As I always do, I had placed it in the oven on low heat to dry. Only this time, I accidentally pushed the "broil" button, and had completely forgotten about it.

I almost burn down my apartment, as well as my neighbors, *and* pulled 25 firemen out of the station on New year's eve.....all over a squirrel toy. :oops:

I love that my little girl is so communicative. The only downside, however, is that Smoke tends to linger and unlike fire alarms, you can't exatly take the batteries out of a squirrel. Ya'ya spent the next 4 hours cheeping at us to warn about the smoke while we vigorously aired the apartment out. You wouldn't think these little guys are that loud, but 4 hours of incessant cheeping starts to get to you. It was 2 am before she finally gave up...I sure learned my lesson :roll:

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: New year excitment

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:42 pm

That was a great story NP, I'm glad she helped you out!
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:56 pm

LOL You should be glad she doesn't speak English or she'd be telling on you for years! :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:00 am

At the level of trouble she lands me in without speaking English, I can only imagine the damage to my reputation she could do with the right vocal capacity!

Return to “Squirrel Tales”