nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Adding A New Flyer

Postby Joan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:29 pm

Should I Get a Second Flyer?

Here is what Dennis Quinter has learned over the years:
1. Two males may or may not get along. (siblings do better, but two
unrelated males can get along)
2. A male and female may not get along. (rare)
3. A male and female does not guarantee there will be babies.
4. Two flyers can bond together and be happy without their human
if they are not both well bonded to humans before being put
together.
5. It all depends on the flyers involved and they are all different

Introduce a newcomer slowly. Put cages side by side and touching, to start, for about 2 weeks. Swap some of their bedding material so each can get used to the other's smell.  Trade food bowls every other day or so. Too frequently and they might just start skipping a meal. 
  Before allowing much contact without a cage, make sure the pair are about the same size, in weight. (In other words, don't put a juvenile right in with an adult. Wait until the juvenile is about adult size... 12 weeks) If the youngster is too young when you cage them together she may bond to him instead of you.  Make sure there is at least two nest boxes, three would be better before putting them in the same cage. That way they can each have their own nest box and still have one to store food.
  Allow an older flyer to access the younger's cage and crawl on the outside. The younger can approach at will, but is protected inside the cage.
  Gradually introduce mutual shirt time so you can remove one if necessary. Flyers will "hump" each other in play and establishing dominance, but it is easy to tell real aggression.
  Out of cage mutual play time (under strict supervision) is next. Tag, bear hugs, humping and chasing are all part of flyer play.  Even smaller flyers will let it be know when they've had enough from an older/bigger flyer.
Roughness to injury is rare ... although they do seem to have an affinity with attacking each others tails sometimes to the point of slight bleeding and splitting of the tip.

An existing flyer seldom rejects a new companion.  They also do not rejected their HOF for bringing another flyer into the house. If they are very near the same age, and very young, it should be easy to get them acquainted. Just let them get to know each other at play time out of the cage. If one is much younger a little more time should be taken to get them acquainted. Use the separate cage method ... then put both in one freshly cleaned cage so neither can claim it as home territory by scent. Make sure there is more nest boxes than squirrels so they can get away from each other if they want. There may be a few scuffles and some minor squabbles, but normally nothing serious as they generally prefer to have company.

Judy C's recommendations:

I have found that the best way to get two of them together is to put them in an entirely different cage. That way, no one is 'territorial'.
If you don't have access to a new cage, try moving everyone out of the cage you want to use. Then wash it really good, use bleach, leave it in the sunshine a few days if possible. Redecorate it completely - different perches, toys, everything. If possible, put it in a different location. Then introduce them both to it.
Good luck! It worked for me - I hope it does for you.

Tom Hauk's Squirrel Match Maker Method:

Set up a new cage that neither has been in. Transfer them from their old cages to the new cage where there are several new houses (at least 3) and nothing that either had been using before. Put them in at different times and give them each a house. Leave them alone for an hour and then take each one out for shirt time and just set them in front of a fresh bowl of fruit and a few meal worms when you put them back in. Don't be surprised if they both end up in the same house and sleeping soundly, tightly up against each other.

Deb's Method

I have introduced babies old enough for the 'big kids cage' by letting the new baby explore the cage (and introduce his scent) while the big kids are out or sleeping. They all get to know each other during out of cage play before this. Then one day I just pop new flyer into the big cage during the daytime while he is sleeping in his own nestbox and the big kids are in their boxes. I keep watch, especially when everyone wakes up at night. For the first several nights I let everyone out so that all are on nutral territory to play. Leave the cage doors open so everyone can come and go, and explore each others nest boxes and stashes.
Oh, and I hand out lots of new in-shell nuts during this period. Nothing seems to bond squirrelies better than working together to stash nuts.

legomom0701
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Adding A New Flyer

Postby legomom0701 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:09 am

I read the advice about how to add another flyer, now I'm curious as to the experience/thoughts of others. I've had Teddy for about a month now. He's about 7-8 weeks old. My mother has had Punkin for a week. He's about 4-5 weeks old. They are each bonding to us well. Will they still want us if we put them together? Our plan is to keep them as pets.

Thanks!
Shanon, Teddy's HOF & Christine's Squammy
ImageImage
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/index.php

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:21 am

legomom0701 wrote:... They are each bonding to us well. Will they still want us if we put them together? Our plan is to keep them as pets.

They will likely bond closer to each other if kept together.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Acutus

Postby Acutus » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:38 pm

:D :D :D :D

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:42 am

I am introducing two flyers, age unknown, although I know they are not babies (I have had one 2 yrs). Would I still go about it the same way? (One is female, one male. I have had the female 2 yrs, just got the male a week ago.) Thanks!
Mary

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Postby flyer_1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:40 am

Thanks Joan this has been very helpful I will try to follow these methods, I'm so exited about my new flyer coming :D
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer

Postby Shannonriver » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:10 pm

Sad new is that we lost Tot. I now have another new flyer in the home her name is Dee she is roughly the same age as Tot was 16wks. However Finn is NOT playing nice at ALL he has chewed up her tail to the point it is bleeding so I am not letting him near her. I never had this problem when I introduced Tot to Finn they did very well together. I know loosing Tot upset Finn he was running around all nite squeaking & has been more aggressive to me (biting ALOT harder but not breaking skin) I feel so bad very little Dee she is scared to death of him. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Shannon

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 am

Just keep them separated until he settles down.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Shannonriver
Baby Flyer

Postby Shannonriver » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Finn does not seem to be "settling" down he is turning into a BULLY!

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:16 am

I know I ended up having to seperate Rocket and Luna after just over a month together, he got so bad, he would not let her out of the nestbox and he would make her scream. I could not let it go on. (He would also lunge at the cage front if I even walked into the room!) Two minutes back in his own cage, he was a sweetie again. I think sometimes personalities just don't mix well. Happens in people and certainly happens in animals. JMPO.
Mary

pappy1264
Flying Furball

Postby pappy1264 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:22 am

I also have two sisters that were both handraised, but were seperated for almost a year (I raised Jett, my friend raised her sister, Eris. Trying to reintro them, but it is not going well!) I think I need to order a new cage and have that for when actual cage time together happens!
Mary

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:37 pm

I too am looking into introducing a new squirrel. I *may* be adopting TalaWolf's Squirrel Mica who is mostly blind do to cataracts. Mica seems VERY territorial and tends to react quite aggressively when startled. Seems to be a new development since going blind. Surprisingly, out of the cage, Mica seems to calm down quite a lot.
Given Mica's blindness and propensity to defend with teeth first and ask questions later, does anyone have any thoughts on how I should work with introducing her to Yaya? Do you think its even possible they would be able to share a cage someday or will the overly enthusiastic Yaya just stress out blind Mica?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We haven't done anything yet, want to have a plan if I end up adopting her, so this far it's just been an interesting mental exersize in animal behavior ^_^

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:06 pm

I would try to introduce them out of cage so he can run. I bet her aggressiveness in the cage is due to her blindness and you might not be able to keep them together in the same cage. If she's in her cage and the door is open, he might try to join her, but will be able to escape from her if need be.

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”