I found a pup! Is this enough?

immatater
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

I found a pup! Is this enough?

Postby immatater » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:29 am

I found a pup a couple of days ago. Actually DH found him and yelled... "I think there's one of your flying squirrel things out here." I scooped him off of the cement behind the car. I have no idea what tree he came from. He must have crawled a good distance unless he fell off of the roof. Its amazing a cat didn't find him. Anyhow, I've been feeding him 4x's per day and he'll only eat 1mL at a time so I just wanted to know if that was in the range of normal. I don't want to force him to eat more than he should or starve him. I don't have a scale small enough to weigh him but I'm going to go look for one tomorrow. I think they carry the little food scales at walmart.

I think he's about 4 weeks going by the pics on the website. Here he is.... Actually he may be a she. I've not checked. :oops: He is pooing and peeing so that makes me feel better. I've been putting off posting his pic for fear that it will "jinx" it and something will happen to him. :( Here's hoping!

lucy10177
NFSA Member

Re: I found a pup! Is this enough?

Postby lucy10177 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:35 am

AWWWW he looks just like rocky when we found him....i don't know exactly how much he ate at a time, i just would give to him until he had enough on his own....they are so tiny it don't take much i guess to fill them up. GOOD LUCK and have fun!!!!!!!
paula

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:52 am

He/she looks to be in good shape, so he's probably getting enough. Does he wake up and look around or come out of his nest between feedings? If so, he may still need feeding more often. They are usually hungry when they wake up. I just automatically feed them when they wake and start moving around looking for me. Good luck with him. He looks like he plans to rule the world...starting with you :twisted:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:57 am

How can anything look that sweet?? There's probably 'sweeteness laws' being broken right and left by flyers!

He looks to be the same age as mine are, and they are taking about 1cc, give or take a little. I have added yogurt and whipping cream to their formula. At this age, they bond really easily - just stick him in your bra and go about your daily routine. I don't remember how old your other flyer is, but I would start getting them used to each other right away. Introduce them under close supervision and then just play it by ear. Soon they will be snuggled up sleeping in the same nest box or pouch.

Good luck with him/her. If you need anything, give me a call. I've sent you a PM.

Judy C.

immatater
Flying Furball

Postby immatater » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:30 pm

LOL! My daughter (9) and I were discussing "death by cuteness" ;)

I do feed him when I hear/feel him moving about. He's getting to the point where he'll actually stay up for a bit after I feed him. He is in a small box with shredded fleece half on a heating pad to keep him warm when he's not with me (like when I'm sleeping because I"m afraid I'll smoosh him). :oops: The stupid heating pad cuts off every hour and a half so I set a timer to get up and turn it back on. I'm going to move his box into a 10g-fish tank soon because I know he'll be old enough to escape soon and get into trouble. I read all the "pup" boards that I could find trying to make sure that I do everything right. Here's hoping!

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”