Help with pup.

immatater
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Help with pup.

Postby immatater » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:01 am

OK, the pup (now named Skittles) is eating well and knows its time to eat when I pull the syringe out. I had to wrestle it away from her this afternoon as she tried to feed herself (from the wrong end) :roll: She's also eating pine nuts and small bits of cheerio/fruit that I put into her box.

At what age do they no longer need the heating pad (she's still half on it, just in case)? What age can I let her start to explore a cage (small one with 1/2"x1" holes)? When can I put a water bottle in with her and not have to worry that she'll drown herself? LOL

Deb
NFSA Member

Re: Help with pup.

Postby Deb » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:15 am

pups can regulate and hold their body temp at 5 or 6 weeks. They can probably do it before then, but a single pup can't cuddle up with her littermates. So extra warmth would be helpful for a longer period for single, young pups.
Go ahead and put her in the larger cage. The more room the better, as they have a lot of energy, and will run around in a safe place that they feel secure in.
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

immatater
Flying Furball

Postby immatater » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:31 am

Skittles is doing well and is up to almost 3mL at a time now! I took a barely damp paper towel and ran it over her to clean her up a bit but now she has a "oily" look to her now that won't seem to go away. She dried that way after I wiped her down and its been 2 days now. What is the best way to clean her off?

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:32 pm

That's just the normal "greasy kids look" that they all have. It is due to the coloring of their coat, and will disappear as he grows older. I sort of look at it as the flyer equivalent of 'teenage rebellion'.

Judy

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”