Does my squirrel think my finger is food?

Keg
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Does my squirrel think my finger is food?

Postby Keg » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:42 am

A lot of the time when I'm petting MJ, she'll look up at my hand and then grab a finger with her paws and then proceed to bite it. Sometimes this really hurts! I giver her a stern "no!" whenever she does this, but I don't think she's getting the message. What do you think is the reason for this?

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Does my squirrel think my finger is food?

Postby Joan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:58 am

Like human babies, flyer pups explore with their mouths. Nibbling or licking is OK, but hurting is not, You are using the right approach ... she doesn't know how hard is not good until you let her know.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Chippy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Chippy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:26 am

Chipper still does that. It started out like Joan said. Now, he has learned that when he bites hard (never breaks the skin) it hurts and it gets my attention. So, he uses it to emphasis that he wants to me to play with him. There have been many a night that I was sound asleep and have been awaken by Chip sternly letting me know that it was play time. I don't get angry with him. As soon as I give him his time he is happy and starts to lick me. Sometimes I do have to get on to him about it being so hard and then he looks at me with those big eyes and begs forgiveness. Nothing like a game of tug-of-war with the fingers. He and Cali both also like to groom my fingers. I don't worry about my cuticles any more. They keep them perfect! :D
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Keg
Juvie Pup

Postby Keg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:51 am

Ah, I see. So she's just a baby, doing baby things. :P MJ broke some skin biting me today, but she only seems to bite me when I stick my hand in her cage. Maybe she just doesn't like being picked up, or maybe she was sitting on her nut stash and didn't want me getting to it! :O

Hahaha, Chippy. Your squirrels sound hilarious to be around! I'm jealous, but I know with a little time MJ and I can be just as close. I love it when MJ licks my fingers though, she's adorable. Sometimes she'll even grab my finger to keep licking it. I don't know what's on my finger that tastes so good, but it's cute and it's a lot better than biting... :thudsmile:

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”