Formula's

CzNik2
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Formula's

Postby CzNik2 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:36 am

Hi, A year ago I had a deposit on a SFS and basically got scammed so I didnt get the squirrle but Melonie Buchannon told me to use a powdered formula called Fox Valley Animal Nutrition DAY ONE Formula 20/50 A Milk Replacer for Squirrles 3 weeks and older....I bought it and have a 1 lb bag un opened and its good till 2 of 2010. The breakdown analysis is as follows: Crude Protein, min.........20.0% Crude Fat, min.........50.0% Crude Fiber, max............0.0% Ash, max..........9.0% Moisture, max..........5.0%.......
Mixing Directions: Add powder to warm water (100F) and shake in a bottle until well blended., Store leftover formula in refrigerator. Feed blended formula within 24 hrs. Mixing directions are based on volume, not weight measurements.
Feeding Directions: Squirrels 3 weeks and older: Mix 1 part powder to 2 parts water. Feed 1 1/2 - 2 tsp per one ounce bodyweight daily, divided into 4 to 6 feedings. Gradually decrease both the quantity of formula and number of feedings per day as weaning approaches. For oral use only.
My question is can I use this formula? She will come with Espilac formula for about a 2 week supply....And if so would you mix it together gradualy as if changing a dog or cats diet?

Thank You All,
Brian

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Formula's

Postby Joan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:29 pm

Most of the rehabbers use Esbilac, but I've asked them to respond.

Joan
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

peep
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby peep » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:32 pm

I've been a big supporter of Esbilac until they recently changed their formula. Many people are having health issues over in wild animals over it, and are switching to Fox Valley.

I tried Fox Valley on one group of flyers, and Esbilac on the other. Both groups did well; they seemed to like the taste of Fox Valley better, it's got a sweet vanilla smell.

Check this article. Ewildagain did a pretty extensive study, have nutrition and formula charts, and other opinions on the topic.
http://www.ewildagain.org/Nutrition/esbilacupdatesept23.htm

Schedule the feeding amount and times according to the pup's weight. The rule of thumb is 5% of their body weight, in grams.

NOTE ON YOGURT

Around here it's impossible to find yogurt with any fat content in it. I just found Gerber Baby Yogurt in the baby food isle!!!
Perfect for formula additive, and tastes great! (yes, I taste everything I feed them - except meal worms :) )
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 pm

I have used Esbilac since I got my first flyer 10 years or so ago. I recommended it to everyone I knew, and sent some Esbilac home with each pup I sold.

And then they changed the drying process, which messed up the nutritional strength of the powder when you mixed it with water. They didn't tell their customers about this change, but when rehabbers had wildlife start dying and/or having terrible diarrhea, and discovered that Esbilac was the only thing they had in common, PetAg (who makes Esbilac and other milk replacements) stated that the drying process had changed. PetAg has been accused of false statements on their analysis of Esbilac's ingredients, claiming that it contains too much copper, fiber, and different percentages of calcium and protien. PetAg also sold KMR that had been overheated, which caused sickness and death of some kittens. They did not recall it, but did say that if anyone opened a can of KMR that smelled burnt, they would replace it. Just recently PetAg put out a statement saying that the formula was still OK for puppies, which it was made for, and rehabbers should be using a different product.

There is just too much wrong with PetAg products, and too much 'covering up' going on for me. I have just placed an order for Fox Valley so I will be ready for next spring. I have heard great things about Fox Valley from other rehabbers.

I will not use Esbilac again.

Judy C.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:10 pm

Glad to hear from you on this! I had a tough time sorting out the facts and theories, read myself blind before coming to the conclusion it just wasn't the right product for wildlfe anymore.
peep

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:11 pm

Judy where do you get your formula from ? I have still been using esbilac but this time with heavy cream and have had no problems. But I would not have known about the changes until the girl at the Squirrel store told me how to mix it. Sure glad she did.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:00 pm

As far as I know, the only way to get it is to order online from the company.
http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp
They were really nice when I placed my order. They do not take your credit card info on line - they are worried that someway someone might get it. So after you place your order, they phone you to get billing info. Your number is never entered into their computer. With any luck at all, my order should arrive Wednesday. I'll let ya'll know what I (and my pups) think of it.

Judy

CzNik2
Juvie Pup

Postby CzNik2 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:59 am

Thank you all for your replies I appreciate them...Ok, If my baby has been on Esbilac how is the best way to switch her over to keep her from getting any issues ie: diareah etc... (My 1st squirrel I mixed Esbilac with heavy whipping cream per the lady's instructions as you did too)....and yes the people at Fox Valley are AMAZINGLY nice....even though it was a year ago I still remember dealing with them.... :) 4 more days....Going to get everything ready tonight...Thank you again Brian

CzNik2
Juvie Pup

Postby CzNik2 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:07 am

Helens little critters has you get heavy whipping cream to mix with your Esbilac formula....I am at least used to that....But I will want to switch over to Fox Valley soon...I think???
Brian

den942
Juvie Pup

Postby den942 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:45 am

Here is my understanding of the Esbilac thing. The only real problem is that the fat content is less in
four batches.

If you have Esbilac from these lot numbers (on the can bottom):

3528E
0919E
0929E
1639E

Mix the formula like this:

1 part powder to 1 part water and .5 part heavy whipping cream with 17% fat.

If you don't have the above lot numbers mix it 1 part powder to 1.5 parts water as far as I know for now.

There has been much talk about copper and other "heavy metals" content being too high. From all that
I have seen the comparisons had some terminology problems expressing the "heavy metal" pecentage
or amounts. The numbers I have seen from an independent lab shows the copper at acceptable levels
when mixed as fed. Bottom line is the only actual problem with the Esbilac was the fat content being
lower due to the processing technique..

The above is commentary by request and I won't debate the content.

den942
Juvie Pup

Postby den942 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:19 am

I just got word yesterday that some Fox Valley formula is in for testing and comparison to Esbilac.
I'll post what I hear when and if I'm privy to the info...

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:02 pm

That will be a huge help. Thanks for your info.
peep

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”