Sexing Flyers

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:40 pm

andy02gandy wrote:...What is wrong with my male, Springer?

Probably nothing. I think it took Laura's Rocky 3 years to drop his pom-poms and my Chuck fathered 4 litters in 2006 and six months of that time, his testicles were acended.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Chippy
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby Chippy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:38 pm

I am getting a little concerned about Chipper. He is going on 9mths old and he does not have descended testicles. I've keep checking when he lets me and there seems to be about pea size evidence, but nothing else. Should I be worried about retained testicles?
Martie.....
Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.
Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:43 pm

Don't worry about it. Rockie/y took several years. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Chippy
NFSA Member

Postby Chippy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:21 pm

Thanks. I didn't see the two posts before mine. I feel better. He's such a little thing anyway. He really hasn't grown much more than what he was at about 5 months. He's face looks more mature and not baby round. I had just read most of the posts and everyone who has one about Chip's age have all mentioned maturing. I like my little boy the way he is. No hurry and Cali is definately not interested other than having him to chase around and steal food from :twisted:
Martie.....

Proud HOF of Chipper & Cali!

Zoe, I will listen in heaven for your hoof beat.

Gizmo, may you keep God's feet warm.

Guardian
Teen HOF

Re: Sexing Flyers

Postby Guardian » Thu May 22, 2008 10:50 pm

I may have very well decided Jack was the wrong gender.

I am not certain. I do not know how much Southern and Northern ...undersides differ, but from what I can tell Jack has some feminine aspects about him, (no testes) and the pink nubbin he has is rather close to his um..hole.

He is also nine months old.

I don't think anyone has any photos of a Northern male flying squirrel versus female?
Rest in Peace Gypsy, I wish you were still with us.
Smudge, have fun in cat heaven.

HOF to: Hijack

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri May 23, 2008 12:10 am

I think that sexing them would be the same, whether northern or southern. If they are close, you'd better start calling your flyer Jackie! :D It's an easy mistake to make - some people have gone for years before realizing it!

Judy

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Fri May 23, 2008 10:57 am

Lol. I've been making the joke that I have a baby that is going through a transvestite stage but would like to be called "He" and "Jack". Lol.

It's going to be hard to change all the 'he's' to 'she's' if he does turn out to be a female. He knows his name so well that I don't think I could add a 'y' to the end of it. Lol, I'm never going to hear the end of it in my family if Jack's a female.

I guess it doesn't really matter to him if he's a male or female, just to me. :) I still find this all horribly amusing, I thought I was pretty good at sexing little critters until now.

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Fri May 23, 2008 11:06 am

Guardian wrote: Lol, I'm never going to hear the end of it in my family if Jack's a female.

Just go with the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. If anyone ever says anything, tell them you had him nutered. Just be sure that you NEVER PUT JACK WITH A MALE FLYER! There is a limit to how much you can bluff your way through, and a litter of pups is WAY beyond that limit!!! :rofl:

Judy

Guardian
Teen HOF

Postby Guardian » Sat May 24, 2008 11:50 pm

LOL :rofl: :multi:

I don't think I could bluff through a pregnancy. Hahahaha.

Skirkpatrick74
Flying Furball

Postby Skirkpatrick74 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Here are some pictures of my Sandy. I wasn't sure of his/her sex, thus the name, but I thought he was a boy. Now after reading this, I think he might be a girl. She has no testicles, and she's about 8 months old. Can anyone verify please?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 2266 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 2266 times
Shannon, mom to Sandy, Daisy, Jack, Zooey and three human teenagers! :)

Joan
Site Admin

Re:

Postby Joan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:00 pm

andy02gandy wrote:My squirrel springer has not matured yet lol his "man hood/testicles" look like the squirrels in the picture voguemamselle619 has poseted. He is about a year now and i dont know if he a runt or something! The funny thing is i think my female is pregant because she looks like she has a golf ball in her stomach. She is eating and sleeping more but at the same time she is more active than usual. I thought if the males "man hood/testicle " havent dropped then he isnt sexually mature?I guess that notion went out the window because she is definataly pregant!What is wrong withmy male springer?

The only absolute proof of pregnancy is pups. :twisted: Some males mature much later than others. Males are "abdominal" part of the year and "descended" other times. My male fathered 4 litters one year and he should have been abdominal during one of these pregnancies; so it may well be possible to father pups while abdominal.

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”