Temperature for pups

veedub
Juvie Pup
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Temperature for pups

Postby veedub » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:23 am

There seems to be some conflicting info on the boards. I have read that its perfectly OK to introduce a pup to his full size cage at 5 or 6 weeks. But it also states in the feeding pups thread that pups need to be kept at 85-90 degrees to digest formula properly. I doubt anyone keeps there house at 85 degrees so I don't see how you would keep a large cage at anywhere close to this temperature. A small nursery is easily regulated with a heat pad. Am I missing something here?

flyer_1
NFSA Member

Re: Temperature for pups

Postby flyer_1 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:42 am

Okay veedub, I never kept my house that harm, what I did was keep a heat pad under Taz's sleeping pouch. So normal house temperature is fine like 70 to 80.....I wouldn't go much below 70 though. I would not introduce your pup to it's big cage until he's about 8 to 10 weeks, just my opinion some are probably ready at a younger age. But just for their own security, If you take them out enough it's fine.
Last edited by flyer_1 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not NUTS I just mimic

R.I.P Taz

violetlady
NFSA Member

Re: Temperature for pups

Postby violetlady » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:34 pm

Once Ziggy was placed in his big cage (he was about 7 or so weeks old), I initially put the box he had been in the floor of the cage with the heating pad under half of it. While he had access to the freedom of his cage, he had the option to return to the warmth of his box as needed. Joan said that I could remove the heat source once he could maintain body heat on his own. I wasn't sure exactly how I'd determine that, but decided that if after he had spent some time out of the box & still felt warm when I picked him up, he must have at that point developed that ability. Thats when I removed the heating pad & box & he started using his hanging pouch with cotton bedding in it. I'm guessing, but think he was about 8 1/2 or 9 wks. at that point.
HOF to Ziggy

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”