Caring for my little guy

FutureSmitty
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Caring for my little guy

Postby FutureSmitty » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:33 am

Hi Everyone,

My cat found a nest of flying squirrels. Only one of the babies he caught has survived - 5 days now! I need some help figuring out his age as he keeps trying to bite/lick our fingers. Could he be trying to nurse? He is eating sunflower and pumpkin seeds and drinking water.

Here are some images to help.

Small Version.jpg
Here's my little guy fromt he side.
Small Version.jpg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 1887 times

Thanks,
Jen

PS How do I load images without attaching them?

DinNorman
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Caring for my little guy

Postby DinNorman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:13 am

I think he would benefit from 2-4 feedings of Esbilac daily. He looks pretty young, and still could use the balanced nutrients in the formula. Continue to introduce solids like Cheerios, Oatmeal, fruits and veg's, and pecan bits.
David

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:56 am

He looks to be about 4 weeks. Even though he's eating solids, David's advice is good. He'll get lots of nutrition on formula.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

FutureSmitty
Baby Flyer

Postby FutureSmitty » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:28 am

Thank you so much for responding this quickly! Will he be able to drink the Esbilac from a small dish? Or should I arrange to bottle feed him? Where can I get one of those? Thanks for all your help on my questions. :-)

violetlady
NFSA Member

Postby violetlady » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:32 am

The pet nurser nipples may be a wee bit too big, but worth a try. WalMart here sells them with the esbilac formula, or check pet shops in your area. You can also use a 2cc syringe (hypodermic without the needle), not the lurloc (sp.?) type, the ones with a little tip protruding (can't remember want they are called :oops: ), or an eyedropper, just be very careful to control the flow as you can cause aspiration.
HOF to Ziggy

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:37 pm

violetlady wrote:The pet nurser nipples may be a wee bit too big, but worth a try. WalMart here sells them with the esbilac formula, or check pet shops in your area. You can also use a 2cc syringe (hypodermic without the needle), not the lurloc (sp.?) type, the ones with a little tip protruding (can't remember want they are called :oops: ), or an eyedropper, just be very careful to control the flow as you can cause aspiration.

Nipple feeding: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5147
Eyedropper feeding: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5146
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”