Acorns

BobsMom
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Acorns

Postby BobsMom » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I picked up acorns off the ground and stored the collected bag in the freezer. I feed him 1 acorn a day sometimes 2 a day. Apparently im not supposed to pick off the ground. I should have been giving him the green ones off the tree limbs. [-X Then I read about toxicity poisoning from brown fallen acorns. Im not going to feed brown Acorns anymore. Im simply wondering if this has happened to anyone else before and if there is any advice. I am possibly looking for personal experiences with brown acorn stories. I panic easy when it comes to the little guy. I am also trying to learn and am new at this, well obviously. Thank you

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Acorns

Postby Joan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:47 pm

I give green and brown ... on and off trees. They know what to eat and what to leave alone. Apparently my flyers never read about toxicity poisoning from brown fallen acorns. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 am

You and me both, Joan. I gather mine at the parking lot at PetSmart - just sweep them into a dust pan, bring them home, rinse them off, throw away the broken ones, stick them in ziplock bags and freeze them. I feed them frozen and the squirrels love them. I've been doing this for about 10 years and haven't had any problems yet.

Judy C.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:23 pm

I think what is confusing for a lot of HOFs is the overabundance of information actually UNRELATED to flyers. What is harmful/poisonous to humans, dogs, cats and other domesticated animals cannot be automatically applied to flyers. Flyers are wildlife and little is know about their full eating choices in the wild. They have survives for thousands of years instinctively knowing what is eatable and what is not. Unlike our domestic pets, they have not been "civilized" out of this innate ability. This is why a wide variety of foods is important ... so they can pick and choose. I'm sure that if they were only offer something that was bad for them, they would eventually eat it to try and survive. I think a wise choice is food that is natural in their environment/locale. I do offer food that would be exotic to them ... kiwi, cooked meats,sweet potatos,etc and trust they know what to eat and what to leave alone. I no longer offer vitamin water, but when I did, I always offered plain water too so they could have a choice. I do sprinkle calcium powder 2:1 in their staple mix always available in the cage. It also contains vit D3.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:39 pm

Joan, what do you use for a staple food?

Judy C.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Judy C. wrote:Joan, what do you use for a staple food?

Judy C.

Judy, I start with a base food like Nut "N Berry (or sometimes a rodent or hamster food). I then add to it things like Cherros, almond, pecan, and/or walnut bits, uncooked macroni, and what ever I think of. Sometime wheat germ. Have just tried adding Birdacious Bugberry Blend Nuggets that I bought at a WildBird store. Sometimes put in dried mealworms. No set recipe. Unshelled peanuts too. I tried adding acorns, but there was dampness that molded a whole batch; so now I give those alone.

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”