Driving myself nuts worrying!

Lace
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Driving myself nuts worrying!

Postby Lace » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:53 pm

I've begun driving myself crazy with worry about my babies (Inky, Pinky and Clyde)! I am keeping a log of when & how much i feed them, which is about 0.4cc on average about every 4 hours on average.

I'm feeding them Fox Valley Day One, is that the correct food?

They poop regularly... if not every feeding than every other feeding...but the poop is a greenish yellow color. Is this normal?

I'm also worried that they are not warm enough!!! I have them in a shoe box half on a heating pad set on medium and a towel covering the box. I had the pad wrapped in a towel but removed the towel after the last feeding about 20 minutes ago because I was worried it was too cool for them. How do I know if they are warm enough???

Help me set my mind at rest! :multi:

Laurak
Flying Furball

Re: Driving myself nuts worrying!

Postby Laurak » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:44 am

I take it these are orphaned flyers then?

Lace
Baby Flyer

Postby Lace » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:13 am

Yeah, Their mom abandoned them so I took 'em and have been taking care of them. I hadn't planned on having them, I was gonna wait til they were about 4 wks of age before I pulled them but that didn't go as planned, lol! Its prolly for the best tho, as one of the squirrels is going to a girl with a range of disabilities (to help with seizure warning) and I want her to get a really tame one. I'm just doubting myself at every turn, even though I know what I'm doing and should feel confident. Its not my first squirrel raising!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:41 pm

Lace, check out this info on feeding. There is a section on doing it by weight of pup.viewtopic.php?f=8&t=159 Green stools can be from overfeeding. I'd weight them before each feeding and adjust amount accordingly
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:25 pm

Lace wrote:... I'm also worried that they are not warm enough!!! I have them in a shoe box half on a heating pad set on medium and a towel covering the box. I had the pad wrapped in a towel but removed the towel after the last feeding about 20 minutes ago because I was worried it was too cool for them. How do I know if they are warm enough???

If half the box is on the pad and they have bedding to crawl in, they should be fine. They will crawl to the unheated area if they get too hot. With heating pads, they are more apt to get too hot than too cold. You can put a thermometer in the heated section to check the temp. too.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Lace
Baby Flyer

Postby Lace » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks Joan!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Lace wrote:... I'm feeding them Fox Valley Day One, is that the correct food?

This is fine formula. Another hint. Stop feeding when the milk line is full and don't feed again until it has disappeared. Overfeeding is worse than under feeding.

Lace
Baby Flyer

Postby Lace » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Yeah, I'm afraid I have overfed. Its devastating. Ive lost all but one, and Im fighting hard for him!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Just keep a lookout for the milk line and don't feed until it's gone. Figure amount per day by weight. Pups are VERY hard to hand raise.

Lace
Baby Flyer

Postby Lace » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:38 pm

They sure are! I was telling Daddy today I sure hoped I never had to worry with babies this little again, he just smiled and shook his head and told me I would... I just need to suck it up and deal!! LOL! :silly:

Return to “Raising & Feeding Pups”