Building a Flyer Tree

Place where HOFs can post quick thoughts on things to keep the little ones thinking, playing and out of trouble.
LOL
Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Building a Flyer Tree

Postby Joan » Sun May 22, 2005 9:38 pm

This one is a Flyer Project I made in my in garage

Here are other photos of the completion of the Flyer Tree. The top (smaller)and bottom (larger) are wooden table tops. The wooden and wrought iron stabilizers are bookends.

Last edited by Joan on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 10 times in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

gwsgrand
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Postby gwsgrand » Sun May 22, 2005 11:43 pm

Oh boy I sure am impressed. How much rope did it take and how tall is that wonderful tree? I bet Chuck and Mishi are loving it.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon May 23, 2005 8:31 am

[quote="gwsgrand"]Oh boy I sure am impressed. How much rope did it take.
I bought an entire roll (150') of 3/4" sisal, but didn't use it all since I cut the PVC back. That was the most expensive part ... a little over $50. The top and bottom are table tops from Lowe's stained pecan. PVC is attached with 4 wought iron book shelf holders at the bottom and 2 wooden ones at the top.

and how tall is that wonderful tree?
It's 7'. I started out with a taller pipe (PVC sewer), but cut it down when I read about Gail's flyers chewing the ceiling. Mishi is a chewer. :roll:

I bet Chuck and Mishi are loving it.
They both love it more than the crape myrtle I had before. They love to bounce back and forth from the blind to the tree.
Last edited by Joan on Sun May 29, 2005 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Avalon
Flying Furball

Postby Avalon » Sat May 28, 2005 11:01 pm

That's so fantastic Joan. I bought my flyers a cat tree and they use it a lot. They sometimes launch from the top of it. Also they still use the jungle gym I did for them. You'll have to give us the directions and how you attached the pieces to the PVC. Again a great job!!!
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
- Lucretius.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun May 29, 2005 11:31 am

[quote="Avalon"] ... You'll have to give us the directions and how you attached the pieces to the PVC.

The platforms and "branches" were put in place before sisal rope was attached. The platforms are made to attach to a cage with a wing nut; so I drilled a hole in the PVC and attached them with the wing nuts inside the pipe. I had to attach them up pretty high as I was limited by the length of my arm inside the pipe when I placed them.
The "branches are wooden dowels. I drilled holes the size of the dowels and slipped them throught the pipe. One dowel is uncovered, but stained and the other was covered in a smaller gage sisal rope.
The top and bottom are covered in a soft green fake fur material I got at Walmart. I decided to use that because I could cut out sections around the top and bottom braces holding the pipe to the base and penthouse platform. There was no way I could have covered those areas with the sisal.

The Rock's Laura
NFSA Member

Postby The Rock's Laura » Sun May 29, 2005 9:37 pm

HOLY FLYER FUN BATMAN! THAT'S THE MOST ENTERTAINING FLYER TREE I'VE EVER SEEN !!
:love7: I was joyfully owned by
6 1/2 yr old
ROCKIE, a gift in my life.
Rest in Peace my baby boy 9/4/2002 - 5/24/2009

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Mon May 30, 2005 10:25 am

I think we have a summer project to leave for our retired house sitter friend. He's gonna be bored, so I'm doing him a favor!!
kay

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Mon May 30, 2005 11:27 am

Kay wrote:I think we have a summer project to leave for our retired house sitter friend. He's gonna be bored, so I'm doing him a favor!!
kay

LOL!!!
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:34 pm

OK Joan, I'm planning to build my own 'flyer fantasy tree' soon after the holidays. Since we've recently added a kitten to our household zoo, I know it'll have to serve dual purpose. Not at the same time of course! :eeeeek: It may be OK to start with a store bought good quality cat tree and make adjustments for the squirrels, but I believe I can make a better tree than I can buy. Your pictures and discriptions are really good. What suggestions can you give me?

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:32 pm

Gosh, that sounds great. You could put baffles with holes small enough for flyers so the cat could only go so high. I still need a tree, but Frosty loves the drapes so much, he might not leave. Last night he went to sleep where they're tied back and I could see the difference in the folds. I finallygot him up again to play and he was WILD!
kay

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:01 pm

[quote="Deb"] ... What suggestions can you give me?

Buy your sisal rope as an entire roll. It was the most expensive item at $50 something dollars. I hot glued the rope as I put it on.
I think I'd make it taller now ... I cut off some of the PVC pipe because I didn't want them to reach the ceiling and chew it up as some have reported. Also, and I suspose I could still do this... put holes in the top platform so they can crawl on top from the trunk. Mine can't get on top because they can't navigate around it. I hung a drap of sisal over the top and it hangs down the sides, but they rarely use it to get on top. I think they would go up there more if holes were available to crawl through.
You can put large dowels anywhere on the trunk by drilling holes on both sides and pushing them through before you start winding the sisal. Anything that has to be screwed in the trunk with a wing nut... I have two platforms ... can only be placed down the trunk as far as your arm will reach inside and still add the nut.
If you wanted, you could cut holes and stick in real branches for added climbing.
I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:49 pm

I like Kay's idea about the emergancy escape holes through a cat proof baffle. I was looking at cat trees on ebay and there is someone making ones from large oak logs that are beautys. they have several carpeted curved levels that are braced underneath to the log with sisal rope wrapped thick dowels. I could then top it with a squirrel playground, hanging ropes, on a small tabletop like Joan's. I would put the little holes through the tabletop, and fashion some sort of baffle around the edge of the table. I don't know yet what to use for a baffle that would look OK. Thanks for the input. Any other ideas? HD is actually showing a little intrest too, so I'll have help :D

Kay
NFSA Member

Postby Kay » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:04 pm

Joan, what happened to your gourd apple house? I bought three apple gourds on ebay and they came today. Two are a little damp and starting to mildew around the stem. I put them out in the sun and hope to get a hole drilled this weekend. What kind of drill did you use?

kay

Anita Rae
NFSA Member

Postby Anita Rae » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Kay, let them get completely dry before you cut them. It is normal for them to get moldy and you will thing they are rotton but they aren't. Just be sure that they have plenty of air circulation. It can take 6 months to a year for a gourd to dry.

*Sandi*
Teen HOF

Postby *Sandi* » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:46 am

I just built a flyer tree for Ruffles! Mine is nothing like yours, it is made out of 2 by 2 boards with fabrid wrapped around the limbs. She still loves it! She loves to launch off of it onto me! :multi:
*Ruffles, my little flyer! Love her more than anything!*

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:49 am

Post a picture if you can.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:07 am

WOW!!! You are one creative lady! I'm impressed.

How long did that take you?
peep
State and Federal permit holder

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:27 pm

Sounds cool! Can't wait for pics!
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

tivas
Baby Flyer

Postby tivas » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14 pm

That's really cool! You've inspired me to build Butternuts one this weekend; I'll carpet the PVC, though, and add a unique arsenal of toys!

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:52 pm

Definately post pics if you do make one!
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Suggiemom
Juvie Pup

Postby Suggiemom » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:32 am

Ok, I've got a dumb question......I keep reading that people let their flyers loose in their house....I'm assuming it takes time to bond first as with sugar gliders, but when do you KNOW you can let them loose??? I'm not as worried about my little girl cuz her eyes aren't even open yet and she thinks I'm her mommy, but little man is a little more daring and insistent on NOT being in a pouch.....I think the trees are AWESOME and even my gliders would love it.

Another question....gliders potty and poop everywhere....they don't discriminate.....will that bother the flyers if they use the same tree?

Also, and this is driving me batty, what in the heck is HOF??????
~ Laurie ~
Foothills Animal Rescue

Support Animal Rescue!!!!
www.cafepress.com/pipersstore

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:51 am

[quote="Suggiemom"]Ok, I've got a dumb question......I keep reading that people let their flyers loose in their house....I'm assuming it takes time to bond first as with sugar gliders, but when do you KNOW you can let them loose???

You'll NEVER know for sure. A bonded flyer can find a way out you never knew about. Most strongly bonded flyers will come when you call them, but as pups grow, they explore more and more and also have a "terrible twos" stage to show their independence.

Another question....gliders potty and poop everywhere....they don't discriminate.....will that bother the flyers if they use the same tree?

Wait and see ... if they "war dance" all over the tree, I'd say yes. LOL :twisted:

Also, and this is driving me batty, what in the heck is HOF??????

Human Owned by a Flyer(s)

Suggiemom
Juvie Pup

Postby Suggiemom » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:50 am

ROFL..."war dance"???????

Human owned by Flyer...shew, that was driving me crazy and THAT is a short trip!!!

Thanks!
~ Laurie ~

Foothills Animal Rescue

Support Animal Rescue!!!!

www.cafepress.com/pipersstore

Helen
Teen HOF

Postby Helen » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:17 pm

Hey this is sooo cool, if I wasn't afraid of causing myself some serious injuries I think I would totally build something similar...Alas I am a major ditz and would probably end up banging my hand with a hammer or something...I think I'll try to get my boyfriend to build me one... :wink:
Owned by
Madamoiselle Artemis Isobella D'Antionette
Monsoiur Pierre Niagra von Faust (given to my loving boyfriend, Mommy loves you!)

Meeting you was fate; Becoming your friend was a choice; Loving you I had no control over XP

Auz
Flying Furball

Postby Auz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:42 pm

Helen wrote:If I wasn't afraid of causing myself some serious injuries I think I would totally build something similar...Alas I am a major ditz and would probably end up banging my hand with a hammer or something...

Hahahaha, very cute.
XD Ok, so I've seen numerous people wanting to know where to buy Flyer Trees, because they can't/don't wish to/or are incapable of making them. SO, I'm thinking of making custom trees and just sending them to the people that need them. I'm in college, Un-employed and love working with my hands...err, Building stuff, that is. But, I suppose I would run out of Material sooner or later, and it would eventually get rather pricey.. :? Nevermind, It would appear there are a few Key flaws in my Plan. Perhaps, for now, I will just concentrate on making one tree, and try not to go broke doing so. :D lol
Semper Squirrely.

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:30 pm

You will soon find that you can spend an awful lot of money on a 2 ounce animal that has easy to provide dietary needs, requires very basic safe housing, and no grooming needs :twisted:
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:51 am

Deb wrote:You will soon find that you can spend an awful lot of money on a 2 ounce animal that has easy to provide dietary needs, requires very basic safe housing, and no grooming needs :twisted:

Boy, I'll second that one!!!
- Patti -
The Official Poopologist
Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

NestleQuick
Flying Furball

Postby NestleQuick » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:02 pm

Speaking of spending a lot of money and causing serious injury...I made a tree! I even have pictures....I just don't have a clue as to how to post them :oops: :oops: :oops: . But if someone can tell me, I really want to show everyone! :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi: :multi:
HOF to my little Nestle Quick

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:06 pm

NestleQuick wrote:I made a tree! I even have pictures....I just don't have a clue as to how to post them :oops: :oops: :oops: . But if someone can tell me, I really want to show everyone!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=163

NestleQuick
Flying Furball

Postby NestleQuick » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Vickie
NFSA Member

Postby Vickie » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:55 pm

Hey, that's pretty neat--great job! I'll bet Nestle will love it.
First Barnie, and now Jimmy--Zing, went the strings of my heart!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:51 am

That is just awesome! What a lucky squirrel!
Deb, lovingly owned by Tom Tom, Molly, Munchkin, and m'Deah. And a piece of my heart still owned by my sweet Tiny Tim.

Airstreamlady
NFSA Member

Postby Airstreamlady » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:50 pm

Toooo adorable. The tree and that sweet baby peeking out.

I've been collecting stuff to hang on a tree in the future. Tell us more about that mesh toy bag? Is that what it is? Do you like it and how do they like it? Where do you get them? I'd think it'd be neat to hide treats in every compartment along with different bedding and toys.

Good Job.
- Patti -

The Official Poopologist

Squammy to Peaches and Sweet Pea

NestleQuick
Flying Furball

Postby NestleQuick » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:18 am

The mesh bag is actually a closet organizer. They run about $10 (unless you can find them for 50% off :D ). I got mine at Joann's Fabrics, but they sell them at Target and similar stores. I think I've even seen different versions of them at Walmart. Nestle absolutely LOVES it. Even more than the tree Squammy burned her finger over making :roll: . After I took the picture, I ended up cutting a hole in the middle of each section and pulling a rope through it so she could go to different levels from inside. She's actually on it as I type. The best part is that they can be hung from anywhere, the little ring hook at the top velcros into a loop. The only bad part is that if she's near the bottom sections, her pee drips to the floor. But that's nothing a training pad or newspaper can't fix! :multi: :multi: :multi:

gloryaf88
NFSA Member

Postby gloryaf88 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:58 am

Ya'll just gave me a wonderful idea.....Of course, I'm not gonna take the time to build a flyer tree from scratch the way ya'll did and then have my heart broke by two ungrateful furbutts that won't touch it. I'm gonna start hitting yard sales and see if I can find one of those old fashion coat or hat racks. I have a whole roll of rope that I can wrap around it, and I'll just hang toys from the arms on it. Thanks for the idea.
Glorya, Owned by Pistol Pete, owned partly by Martie Monster, whose heart will always belong to Amy, now owned by Count Dracula Monsterpete--Drago, and Little Foot MonsterPete.
In Loving Memory of Scoot, whom I will always miss!!

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:19 pm

I bought the same mesh bag, also at Joanns.
Tala and I saw it and went...OMG! Squirrel.
Im actuualy in the process of cutting holes inbetween the levels and adding zippers to the openings.
When Im done I hope to add a wheel to the top, throw in some toys and use it for a playpen when I travel....it just collapses so niclely. ^_^

FlyerLover

Re: Building a Flyer Tree

Postby FlyerLover » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:25 pm

Wow! If my adoption goes through...I am definitely having my boyfriend help me make one of those. Its SO perfect for a fs! I bet they just love it huh?

fsalter53
NFSA Member

Re: Building a Flyer Tree

Postby fsalter53 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:53 pm

I love your trees, I can't wait to make one, my pvc is not quit that tall but I will have to get a bigger
piece, we have some great crafters here, what good imaginations, I will post a picture when I get
mine done. Thanks for the ideas and I have a gourd sitting in my house dried my son gave it to
me just needs cut of course he wants the seeds, Im going to use that on my tree. :multi:
thanks to the Flyer Squirrel Messageboard :wav: :greenjumpers: I love this board......
SADIE ^ SAGE

Return to “Enrichment”