New Enrichment project

Place where HOFs can post quick thoughts on things to keep the little ones thinking, playing and out of trouble.
LOL
Deb
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

New Enrichment project

Postby Deb » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:35 am

My project I started before Christmas is coming along nicely, so I thought I would get some feedback from ya'll before I try it on the furballs.

I started with a package of cheap, thin latex sponges. 2 of them have regular wild finch bird seed sprinkled on them, one has wild rice,and one has watermelon seeds. I keep them in rectangular sushi dishes in a sunny windoe and keep them damp. I watered them one time with Miracle Grow when stuff first started sprouting and they are really starting to take off now.

I think I may put the 2 bird seed ones into the flyer's cages tomorrow night. Maria's cat, Holly has started showing intrest in them so I'll probably let Maria take 1 into her room for the cat. I took them all from the dishes tonight and ran tap water through them so that the Miracle Grow feeding shouldn't be an issue... do you think?

I bought some packs of garden seeds today and will start them in sponges too. I have sweet peas, cucumber, and coliflower.When the seeds are bigger, like the watermelon, I made some little slits with a knife in the sponge when there weren't enough holes in the sponge surface that the seeds would fit into. I'll post about how the furballs respond to their mini gardens.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:24 pm

COOL!
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:35 pm

That's really interesting!
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:11 am

Well the furballs like the sprouting greens pretty well. I don't know if they really eat much, but they like to sit in it, mash it down, and have hidden acorns in the one in Molly And Munch's cage. I took them out to water them today and put them back in the window for some sun. I put the same ones back in tonight 'cause they did perk up a little bit out of the cages today, but this stuff won't last too many days.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:31 am

Especially with furbutts smashing 'em. :wink:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Deb
NFSA Member

Postby Deb » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:00 pm

:roll: and peeing on them. After putting them back into the cage, they looked worse today. I took them out and tossed 'em. I'll try the wild rice and baby watermelon plants on them tonight. I'm sprouting colliflower for them next.

Return to “Enrichment”