Relocating wild flyers

Information about releasing flyers to the wild, removing them from the home and attracting them to your yard.
zipper
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Relocating wild flyers

Postby zipper » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi --

I'm battling an infestation of my most favorite rodent. Several years ago I trapped out more than 20 of them late one fall, so apparently I have a very attractive house! I think I have finally found their entrance/exit, or at least one of them, into the attic, but I am concerned about shutting them out now, in the middle of winter, and potentially at the beginning of reproductive season. I had planned to wait until spring, but one of the cats has pushed the issue, by presenting me with an adult male flyer. He seems to be OK, and now I have to figure out what to do with him.

Last time around, the local extension service biologist assured me that since they neither hibernate nor store food, moving them to suitable habitat would be OK any time of the year. How do you feel about this? (I'm in rural MA).

thanks,

Zipper
Babies? They make babies???

zipper

Re: Relocating wild flyers

Postby zipper » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:27 pm

Addendum - as with my previous experience, it never rains, it pours. I now have 2 in captivity. I'd barely pressed the "submit" button when I heard the commotion start in the basement again...!
Babies? They make babies???

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Relocating wild flyers

Postby Joan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm

zipper wrote:... I had planned to wait until spring, but one of the cats has pushed the issue, by presenting me with an adult male flyer. He seems to be OK, and now I have to figure out what to do with him.

Cats carry a deadly bacteria in their mouths that can be deadly to flyers. You might want to get some antibiotics from a vet and dose him as directed. http://nfsa.us/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3893

zipper wrote:... Last time around, the local extension service biologist assured me that since they neither hibernate nor store food, moving them to suitable habitat would be OK any time of the year. How do you feel about this? (I'm in rural MA).

I'd check with a rehabber in your area. viewtopic.php?t=1308
They would have the experience with this.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “Wild Flyers”