A little advice on using Rep-Cal please!

Tips, experience & advice related to the healthy and not-so-healthy flying squirrel
Laurak
Flying Furball
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

A little advice on using Rep-Cal please!

Postby Laurak » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:07 pm

I purchased Rep-Cal ("phosphorus-free calcium with Vit D3") as a supplement for Momo's food. I'm trying to figure out what is the best dosage to feed her, though, and it seems like there is a lot of different information for different supplements all over the boards, so, for my situation:

1) how much should I give her, and when? She is off formula now, and we feed her a mix of fruits and veggies to supplement seed mix every day. I currently sprinkle a small pinch in every 3 days, but I don't know if that's too much or too little.

2) Should I be giving her any other sort of vitamin? Or is a fruit/veggie/seed mix plus Rep-Cal all she needs?

Thank you to whoever answers; I just want the best for my little cutie :)

Joan
Site Admin

Re: A little advice on using Rep-Cal please!

Postby Joan » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:29 pm

I used to give multiviatamins, but no longer do. I use a calcium/D3 and throw some in the staple seed mix ande shake it up to coat. I don't know that anyone knows the exact needs of a flying squirrel. More is not better. Follow mice/jerbel instructions.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks Joan - I really appreciate your help with everything. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you use, proportion-wise? For example, I have a 2 lb bag of seed/grain mix. How much Rep-Cal would you put in for that amount?

I figure whatever you're doing must be working, so I may as well do that too, instead of playing trial-and-error with Momo's health ;-) Thanks!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:07 am

Gosh, I never measured it. Just put in several spoonfuls and shook the mixture until there was a light coating. Not very scientific. :twisted:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:47 am

Haha ok thanks Joan, I'll try that and approximate the dosage as best I can (and I'll stop worrying about it ;-) ). My fiance and I are almost done building a new cage for Momo, so I'll be posting pictures of that soon. Our baby is getting spoiled! :B-fly:

pattis
Juvie Pup

Postby pattis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:57 pm

Joan you mentioned that you no longer use multivitamins. Why is that? What does your staple seed mix contain? I really appreciate this website and your advice and skirkpatricks advice. I'm very thankful that you, both of you, respond so quickly. I too, have been doing tiny pinches every other day of the rep-cal just in the food dish. Not sure exactly how much he's eating of it. Coating the seeds makes good sense.
Rowdy's friend

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:08 pm

pattis wrote: Joan you mentioned that you no longer use multivitamins. Why is that?

I quit using them when Dr. Cooley (who does our necropsies) thought our flyers were being over supplemented. Many "pet" foods and pellets already contain
supplements so you have to read packages carefully.

pattis wrote: What does your staple seed mix contain?

It varies each time I put it together. Looking at it now, I see Kashi cereal, some kind of rodent pellet. died meal worms, acorns, freeze dried protein of some kind, maple tree seeds, some kind of seed mix and some heart shaped pellet that's never eaten. I usually get a mix for rodents/mice at Walmart and add stuff to it. Chuck picks out what he wants. I avoid mixes that are mostly corn. All the pet food is supplemented. He really likes the wild woodpecker large bars in the wild bird section. Usually the wild bird stuff is un-supplemented. I give pecan bits and pine nuts for treats, but he always has unshelled nuts available for chewing on or hiding. A mix is always available.

I actually find feeding very easy as he gets bits of whatever I eat, including meats. I rinse spices off the meat. The veggies, I put aside raw before they are cooked for available to him and he eats what he wants and ignores the rest. The mix is what I dust with the Calcium powder. I try to find Calcium/Phosphorus with D3 in the Reptile sections of pet stores. He rarely gets fruit ... mainly during berry season and when I'm eating watermelon. During warm weather, I am catching moths, cicadas, dragonflies and things circling the porch lights.

Return to “FS Health”