Need opinions on my FS's diet

SciontChic87
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Need opinions on my FS's diet

Postby SciontChic87 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:28 pm

my first post :multi: n :n00b:

ok now that I got that out the way....I have always fed my flyer Brown's Tropical Carnival for Pet Mice & Rats (I have picked out all the sunflower seeds and corn, I feed those sparingly as treats). I use to feed Mazuri rodent pellets too but the local pet store no longer sells them and Dexter didn't really like them anyway so I have switched to Kaytee forti diet pro health pellets which he seems to like (I give him one pellet a night). I have recently started to mix in another seed mixture I got from Wal Mart called Berry N Nut. Just wanted to know what everyone thought of these three feeds. I have posted the guaranteed analysis/ingredients for each one below:

Brown's Tropical Carnival:
(once on the site just click on the ingredient tab)
http://www.thatpetplace.com/tropical-ca ... -rats-22lb

Wild Harvest Berry N Nut:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/8In1-Pet-Prod ... z/10318473

Kaytee Forti Diet Pro Health:
http://www.kaytee.com/products/kaytee-f ... se-rat.php

Thanks!

Laurak
Flying Furball

Re: Need opinions on my FS's diet

Postby Laurak » Wed May 16, 2012 8:49 am

I think most people feed the nut n berry mix as their 'kibble,' however none of those feeds are enough. I only replace the kibble about once a week in my flyer's cage (it should be supplemental to their normal diet). They absolutely need fresh veggies, a little fruit, and protein (chicken, egg, etc) every single day. You will also need to get calcium to your flyer. I recommend feeding yogurt for that, and also shaking up the kibble with a few spoonfuls of Rep-Cal.

I also feed "Henry's Healthy Blocks" which are rodent blocks designed for flyer nutritional needs (http://www.henryspets.com/products/Flyer-Blocks.html). I feed one per day.

Even if you feed the Henry blocks, you will still need to feed vegetables and fruits every day.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Wed May 16, 2012 12:04 pm

Laurak is right about flyers needing more than a "kibble" mix. The other items of fresh foods are the most important. Check any commerial food you use for vitamins and minerals because you don't want to over-supplement. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=208&p=750#p750
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

SciontChic87
Baby Flyer

Postby SciontChic87 » Wed May 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Thank you for the help! I have been trying to really perfect his diet. My boyfriend thinks I'm losing my mind.....too late for that haha. Also are Vita-Drops by Oasis (for hamster, mice, rats, and gerbils) any good?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu May 17, 2012 10:57 am

Those vitamins would probably be OK, but again, if any other commerial foods you are giving have vitamins, there is no need to give more. The most important one to look for (in my opinion) is D3 as it is necessary for calcium absorption. Flyers have the ability to convert D2 in dark green veggies to D3; so if they are eating plenty of these supplimentation is unlikely needed. Vit D is fat soluable and is stored in the body and can reach toxic levels. I no longer give supplements as some of the commerial foods contain them. I do dust the "kibble" with calcium and I gut load mealworms.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

SciontChic87
Baby Flyer

Postby SciontChic87 » Thu May 17, 2012 10:43 pm

I will definitely get calcium powder. How often should I give it? I use to feed mealworms but Dexter stopped eating them.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri May 18, 2012 12:27 am

SciontChic87 wrote:I will definitely get calcium powder. How often should I give it? I use to feed mealworms but Dexter stopped eating them.

I just lightly dust the "kibble". I also keep cuttle bones available.

SciontChic87
Baby Flyer

Postby SciontChic87 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 am

Is this product acceptable?
http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.c ... Id=2754048

I had a cuttlebone but he chewed on it a couple times and then decided it was better as a toilet haha. Tried to keep it tied to the side of the cage but every night he'd take it back down. He's just a little rotten mess!

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Fri May 18, 2012 9:10 am

That's what I use - just shake a few spoonfuls of it up with your seed mix.

You can also feed your flyer yogurt for calcium supplementation - they really love it! Mine licks the yogurt right off my fingers :)

SciontChic87
Baby Flyer

Postby SciontChic87 » Fri May 18, 2012 11:28 am

If he doesn't eat his food with the Rep Cal in it is it ok to put it in his water? I'm sure he will love yogurt! Any particular kind/brand of yogurt?

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri May 18, 2012 12:16 pm

I use that brand too. If the "kibble" is dusted, he'll get it. Mine also use the cuddle bone to pee on, but will chew it if needed ... I have several, some fruit flavored. There are water soluable calciums available http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newprodu ... owder.html , but if you use that also give water without so they have a choice. Too much is as bad as too little.

Laurak
Flying Furball

Postby Laurak » Fri May 18, 2012 12:19 pm

I wouldn't put the Rep-Cal in the water - like Joan says you don't really need to overdo it with the supplementation (it can hurt more than it can help) so if you just dust the seed/kibble mix with Rep-Cal it'll be fine. They need to get most of their nutrition naturally from fruits and veggies daily.

As far as yogurt, it may be a trial and error game - just avoid yogurts that are high in sugar. Personally I prefer Greek yogurt as it is usually low-sugar and high-protein. Make sure you read the labels on the yogurt you get. We probably tried ten different kinds before my flyer, Momo, decided that she really liked the Cherry-Pomegranate Yoplait Greek yogurt. It's the only one she will touch :roll: Just buy a few small containers of different flavors and see what your flyer takes to.

Another rehabber sent me some Fox Valley (http://foxvalleynutrition.com/main/home.asp) powdered puppy formula that I have been mixing into the yogurt for nutritional supplementation. Momo really likes it and it also helps give her lots of vitamins, nutrients, and calcium. You may want to check that out.

But yes, like Joan said, don't overworry about supplementation. Too much calcium can cause just as many issues. As long as the flyer is getting a varied, fresh diet with veggies and protein daily, that's the big thing. The people who have troubles are the ones who feed only seed mix, or a lot of sugar.

SciontChic87
Baby Flyer

Postby SciontChic87 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Thank you all so much!!! You have been a tremendous help. One more question though (sorry!), so do you dust the entire bag of kibble so they get it daily? or dust it every other day or so? Just wanna make sure I'm doing right by my little due. Again thank you sooooooo much, I have been just driving myself crazy over his diet.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Fri May 18, 2012 9:59 pm

SciontChic87 wrote:Thank you all so much!!! You have been a tremendous help. One more question though (sorry!), so do you dust the entire bag of kibble so they get it daily? or dust it every other day or so? Just wanna make sure I'm doing right by my little due. Again thank you sooooooo much, I have been just driving myself crazy over his diet.

I dust the whole bag ... they have lots of undusted fresh foods to eat.

Return to “Adult FS Diet”