Rest in peace Beacon

Let folks know about the loss of a precious furball who has joined others over the Rainbow Bridge.
yubman
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Rest in peace Beacon

Postby yubman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:57 am

Long ago I adopted a flying squirrel from Helen's Little Critters. Not being close enough to pick him up I had to have the little guy flown in from Texas. When I first opened the crate at the airport to check on the tiny occupant, a little ball of fur with huge eyes stared back at me. His soul shined with such a brilliance that his name had to be Beacon. For many years since he was a constant and loving companion.

Its with a very sad heart that I report, Beacon my wonderful flying squirrel passed away. Since my wife and I never had children, these furry members are our family and will be missed.

Beacon came to me back in March of 2002 and lived to be more than 15 years old. I read flyers in the wild tend to only survive a few years; Beacon lived 3 to 5 times as long. He had a long life that was in relativity good health. A few years ago he and Bexley (our second flyer who is still with us) began to go blind. Unavoidable said the vet, they had long lived pass their prime and old age was setting in. So squirrel geriatric care was needed and they both were moved into a squirrel safe retirement home.

Beacon traveled far for a squirrel of only a few ounces. Not long after being born in Texas he flew on a jet to Maryland where he lived the majority of his life in various rooms and closets in our home before passing away in his nest box in our new house in Massachusetts.

I will remember Beacon for as long as I live and shall always be thankful to him for leading me back to my youth.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Rest in peace Beacon

Postby Joan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:52 pm

I have follow much of Beacon's life here. I know how you feel ... just as I do about Chuck. It's exceptional that they lived as long as they did and grew to have diseases of old age. Given they are lucky to make 5 years in the wild, I'd say our boys got many extra years of love. :angel13:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

yubman
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Re: Rest in peace Beacon

Postby yubman » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks Joan. While I've not been very active here for awhile, I've appreciated all of you and your support since the Voy.com days.

Return to “Flyer Death Announcements”