Place for those with paid memberships to introduce themselves

Moderator: Joan

johnny
Baby Flyer
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

From NYC suburbs

Postby johnny » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:12 am

I lived less than 30 minutes from Times Square IF there were no traffic.

Retired middle school teacher. I have experience with orphan animals (mostly grey squirrels and raccoons) as a teen but not flyers. My wife and I live with one old blind cat. I was not looking to adopt and want to find a good home for Siggy (Sigmund) although I'd be thrilled to return him to nature, I need to post and ask if it is realistic to consider releasing him. As I write, I am unsure of his age - I thought he was no more than 5 weeks old when I found him - but his size and energy shot up in the last week. He was weak and not capable of strong movement when I found him at the base of a tree - if he had been able to get around well, I would have left him. My age estimate was based on my experience with grey squirrels - I'm familiar with the coordination level of greys when they first open their eyes, takes about a full week for reasonable coordination, 2 weeks for fast movement, Siggy has followed that pattern but his growth has been stupendous in a short time. I wasn't weighing him, so can't quantify.

He weaned himself quickly. One day he refused formula. The next morning he took it one more time and then would have it no more. I haven't tried anything other than Greek yogurt, but he doesn't like that. Turned up his nose at high quality cheddar cheese. I give him high quality rat food and a mix of fruit, nuts, veggies, but am concerned about his calcium intake. If his growth rate and energy level are indicators, something is right in his diet. He does have a deer antler, which he tries to gnaw on.

He is bonded to me, has been since about 2 days of care, which is why I am concerned he can't be released. My wife likes to have cats, the house is unsafe in a number of ways for a flyer I am thrilled and deeply moved by Siggy, but I am not sure a life with me will be optimal for him, especially after reading about the thorough dedicated care people on these boards offer. A life with me wouldn't be bad - I just don't want to see him have an accident, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the responsibility for him. If I thought there was a 50/50 chance of his survival at the time I found him, I would have left him. From experience, I didn't think he would make it if he were left.
Last edited by johnny on Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

johnny
Baby Flyer

Re: From NYC suburbs

Postby johnny » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:16 am

Forgot to mention - I have had him 2 weeks at this writing, so he would be 7 weeks old if my original estimate was correct but the growth spurt has me questioning my original estimate. But if he was older than 5 weeks, he was even weaker than I thought. He very much seemed liked a squirrel that had opening his eyes a few days before - really, I thought he was 4-5 weeks, 5 weeks tops.

Ajbr

Postby Ajbr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:07 pm

I have a potential solution. A student at Bard College has a female SFS and may be willing to take a male. Send me your contact info and I'll try to help

Alleninthemountains@gmail.com

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:44 pm

If you are still interested in releasing him, contact a rehabber in your area and they can do that. Flyers are considered "adult" at 8 weeks and are on their own
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Return to “NFSA Member Introductions”