Duration of activity time, and things to do (help!)

Discussion about Flying Squirrels
cassiethenaturalist
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Duration of activity time, and things to do (help!)

Postby cassiethenaturalist » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi all!

Couple things:
How long are SFS active for during awake periods?
Is there a difference in these awake periods during the daytime vs. nighttime?
(for context, Amelia is an animal ambassador for a nature center, so she gets woken up in the daytime to do exercises/programs. She lasts at most an hour before she just sits and doesn't run around)
What activities do you and your SFS do together?
(Amelia runs around on these wood perches that were made for her, and likes to jump on the naturalists. She also comes to a wood platform when called to receive a nut, as part of her training. This is all inside a large enclosed tent)
Are there any other toys SFS would like to play with?
(She has a homemade sock tube, 2 wool pouches, a stump with a cavity, sticks, a seed mat, a mini cat scratch post, and a stealth wheel in her enclosure)

Any advice welcome, thanks!!

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Duration of activity time, and things to do (help!)

Postby Joan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:19 pm

All flying squirrels are different in their sleep/wake activity. Most will be active and them take naps. The older they get, the more the prefer daytime sleeping and are active at night. I used to wake Chuck for day times classes at a county nature park and he'd be active when taken out of my shirt ...to jump from a friend to me or to race down my upheld arm to get back into my shirt. Some flyers will jump from one trainer to another in endless circles.

How old is Amanda?

Flyers don't really like toys. They prefer to interact with their HOF (Human Owned by Flyer) :twisted: There is a forum on Enrichment:
viewforum.php?f=80
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

cassiethenaturalist

Postby cassiethenaturalist » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:05 pm

She is just over a year old.

We have gotten her to the point where she will have awake activity time that lasts from a half hour to an hour depending on her mood.

I tried a variety of things from the forum, but because she lives at the Center, I don't exactly know what she does at night. We're investigating a mini security camera, or baby monitor type thing to place in her enclosure to start watching her.

Amelia is also lucky to have a lot of HOFs :D
There are about 5 of us that work with her, and we switch off days depending on her schedule.

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Do you have her jump between the her staff HOFs for fun and exercise? This is often a way to get them active in day time. This video is from Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQcTbakIF8
A night camera would be lots of fun to watch.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

cassiethenaturalist

Postby cassiethenaturalist » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Due to time and budget, I generally can only have one staff with her per day, but during our time together, we hang out in an enclosed tent with these wood perches that were made. She jumps to her HOF, jumps to the perches, and then runs around the tent (it's mesh so she scurries on the walls of the tent). We also encourage her to come to us with little bits of nuts. She's very well trained to come to this tree cookie to receive a treat when we make our call.

And I'm working on my budget now to see if I can get a camera :D

cassiethenaturalist

Postby cassiethenaturalist » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:35 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfzTd0nB-WW/?taken-by=cassiethenaturalist

Here is Amelia in a sock tube that I made for her. She absolutely loves it!

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:45 pm

Cassie I'd say you have nothing to worry about. She seems to be doing extremely well and involved when you get her up during the day. :multi:

Return to “General”