Lost mate, now alone, what do we do for her?

For other than life threatening medical situations with your flyer.

Moderators: Joan, Anne27, DinNorman

Snicker Bar
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Lost mate, now alone, what do we do for her?

Postby Snicker Bar » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:36 pm

I have had these two since last October, two young Southern Flyers that came to me at approx. 8-10 weeks of age ( a M and F). After overwintering, and bonding , and lack of a local colony, we made the decision to give them the best forever home we could. They enjoyed a huge cage during the day, and run of our large bathroom ( toilet safe) all winter. Now that’s its Spring, we’ve modified and created what we thought was the ultimate Flyer habitat on a reinforced ( hardware wire) screened in porch. Limbs, logs, moss, lichens and rocks, bugs (attracted by a night light) etc. We thought it was completely sealed; and frankly, no desire for them to want to leave... To my horror, yesterday AM, only one little head popped out to great me yesterday AM. I literally tore the room apart . Every nook, cranny, blanket etc. The only thing I can figure, is there was a tiny space /gap in the wire that separated their part of the porch, from the area we let one of our NR grays sleep ( one eye/vision impaired ). In this section of the porch, there are many cracks that a Flyer could swueeze through ( but no concern for the greys . If only we had thought of all the what if’s... but just figured their section was sealed perfectly; so it appeared.

My question is, now what to do, if her companion doesn’t return?? I’ve placed a familiar cube, shirt, and favorite treats On the outside of the porch ; near their cage, in case he doesn’t squeeze himself back in. She’s safe in the room with the cracks closed ... but he can still get into the section where the grey is. But what if he doesn’t ... He’s been her constant companion for 7 months. I’ve read here ( and other places) they don’t do well alone. That’s why I was so elated to have a second young Flyer come to me, so he could have a companion. Of course, I have and do spend time with them... but when life is busy, they were always together ; never lonely.
At this point, I figure (?) she is too old or acclimated to domestic life, that her chances to wild up are slim. But is this true? Should I ( for her wellbeing) seek out a place that could integrate her into a pack of soon to release Flyers, and hope she can blend in? Or, do we keep her?? And try to just shower with extra attention ( but this can be difficult with so many other obligations; again, up to this point, the relief of her having a buddy met her emotional needs more than mom) . Do we need to seek out another NR? What is best for her? Us, or a new friend, or, as difficult as it would be , give her up in hopes she can go to the wild ( NOT really the option I want tonchoose, but will if it’s best for her :( ) I truly feel sick beyond words; guilty , and heartbroken; and so , so sorry for her :( Any advice greatly appreciated...

Joan
Site Admin

Re: Lost mate, now alone, what do we do for her?

Postby Joan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:56 pm

Don't give up that she will return. I have had the same thing happen and the runaways comes back home. If their cage is in a flyer proof room you can just leave the cage door open and they usually return to the nestbox. Keep us informed.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Snicker Bar

Postby Snicker Bar » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Will do, and thanks for info. that hopeful return is possible . We hung two additional nest boxes on the outside of the wire, directly across from the cube they slept in together. Will keep their nightlight on; for bug hunting, and hopefully a guide for him to find his way back to his foster sister/mate .

Joan
Site Admin

Postby Joan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Good and she know where her food is put out. :)
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Snicker Bar

Postby Snicker Bar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:48 am

It’s been over a week. I’m not giving up; going to leave his cube and food out, attached to the outside of the enclosure. But it’s getting milder here, and if he did survive by a miricle, he’s probably far away in the woods with a colony ( hopefully). I know success is no guarantee for a hard release , and I wouldn’t dare take that chance with his young , left behind friend. I’m just concerned for her . She and he were brought to me last Oct. as babies, and have been growing up in our large back bath in a large cage, with free time every night. ( safe and easy to clean each AM) . About a month ago, as temps. allowed, we moved their cage to our large community squirrel porch ( home to two special needs NR grays) . Kind of a day shift/night shift plan. In the day, the grays have run of the entire enclosure while the littles slept safe in their cage and cube. At night, we closed the door to a small section to prevent the “night shift” from playing near the sling where the one gray sleeps, that could hurt them. The Flyers LOVED this new habitat, compared to an indoor bathroom. Limbs, logs, dirt, BUGS! It was such a blast watching them. Now, my lonely girl just runs... I’ve noticed her doing a repetitive pattern; over and over. Across a ledge , down the wire, across the length of a long limb, then back around again. To me, it looks stressful. I don’t recall either of them doing this “thing” prior to his escape. They mostly sat together/near each other, being nosy about who found a treasure to eat. I try now to give her extra attention; I greet her every morning with a treat, pet her in the cube ( she won’t let me hold her in a pouch), talk to her. She allows and enjoys. this, but not much more. At night, a sit outside for a bit as time allows. She will light on me, run around a bit , then off again. And now this pattern thing. Last night I rearranged things, put up a barrier to the runway on the ledge using fressnlimbs with leaves and buds. This helped some, but she still forced a sort of raceway as before. I wish I could video it..
How long will this last, and what can I do? I’ve read , a single Flyer can be happy.. but she’s not an “only child” I guess , like some are here. When I took them as babies last Fall, the intent was release . But then, as I researched , and overwintered them, they bonded to me, and to each other. I decided they seemed happy, content and safe ; so we tried to provide the best of both worlds. And it was working well, until now. What can I do, to ease her separation anxiety ? This is heartbreaking..

Return to “Non-Emergency Help Sought”