bonding question

koji
Teen HOF
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

bonding question

Postby koji » Tue May 09, 2006 4:13 am

I was just wondering since everyone makes it sound so easy. Mine is still new to me, its been a week. I play with him for a pretty long time, and when I open the cage he still runs to the corner and climbs up, the only way i get him out is if hes hiding in the pouch. any tips?

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Tue May 09, 2006 2:53 pm

just try bonding more, maybe he isn't fully bonded, i don't know how long it takes but maybe it's a couple of weeks
~t Christina j~
Loving Squammy of Emo (RIP, 3/17/2006-6/15/2012)

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue May 09, 2006 4:38 pm

Make sure he doesn't feel chased. Let him come to you. Give him treats in the cage and make him come to you to get them.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

koji
Teen HOF

Postby koji » Mon May 15, 2006 4:16 am

He's gotten way more friendly! Seems like he's more comfortable around me now and isn't scared anymore it's coming along great!

S. K. Dixon
Juvie Pup

Postby S. K. Dixon » Mon May 15, 2006 7:23 am

:multi: Don't worry about how long it takes--like us HOFS, our critters all have their own way about them. You just keep doing what you are doing, and this baby will soon we hanging out in your shirt!
Sara Katherine Dixon
and the
Zoo at 1522
"Hope is the thing with feathers" (or fur)
"that perches in your soul." Emily Dickinson

Wanda
NFSA Member

Re: bonding question

Postby Wanda » Mon May 15, 2006 8:54 am

[quote="koji I play with him for a pretty long time, and when I open the cage he still runs to the corner and climbs up, the only way i get him out is if hes hiding in the pouch. any tips?[/quote]

Will he sleep in your shirt during the day? That would certainly help him bond with you.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

koji
Teen HOF

Postby koji » Mon May 15, 2006 10:56 am

I'm not sure if he would or not. But if he's sleeping in the pouch and I want to get him to bond with me, should I just dump him outta the pouch and put him into a shirt pocket?

Wanda
NFSA Member

Postby Wanda » Mon May 15, 2006 12:04 pm

koji wrote:I'm not sure if he would or not. But if he's sleeping in the pouch and I want to get him to bond with me, should I just dump him outta the pouch and put him into a shirt pocket?

I would try puttng him down in your shirt next to your body and see if he will stay and sleep there. They bond so much better and closer if they can be next to your body.
Wanda
:flyer:
Owned by Shelly, Rose
:smt049 Peanut, Bud & Dinky Always In My Heart :smt049
Parrot, Miniature Donkey & 1 human
And All My Lil Orphans

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Mon May 15, 2006 12:30 pm

You might start out by just putting pouch and all inside your shirt. That way he isn't being threatened by being taken from his home, and he will come out and explore you when he is ready.

Judy

koji
Teen HOF

Postby koji » Wed May 17, 2006 1:57 am

is that in the day or night?

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Wed May 17, 2006 11:18 am

koji wrote:is that in the day or night?

Either or both - that way it will seem like his idea to be on you.

Judy

CatStina
Flying Furball

Postby CatStina » Wed May 17, 2006 6:29 pm

Emo sits in my shirt from when i get home to about 8 or 830 then he goes in his cage to play and eat and such, I'v had him for a week and he is already more bonded
~t Christina j~
Loving Squammy of Emo (RIP, 3/17/2006-6/15/2012)

Mom to Bowie the Fat Cat, Ziggy the Tiny Cat, Saxon the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Neljä and Viisi the gerbils

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Wed May 17, 2006 6:46 pm

Mine is also pretty good. I think Avalon handled him A LOT because he is so tame. I take him out between 3 and 4 pm when I get home and he sleeps usually but sometimes he is active. When I eat at 5:30 or 6, I keep him out if he is sleeping, but put him away if he's awake. I put him in for a little while around 7 or 8 after I give his fruits and veggies and then when I go to bed, between 10 or 11, he is put to bed, too. I have had mine since Saturday. When I open the cage, he is generally sleeping in his nestbox and I just scoop him out. If he is awake and around, he usually doesn't come right up to me, but will let me just pick him up. The only time I have trouble sometimes is after I have put him in to eat dinner and he has eaten, when I try to get him out, sometimes he runs. I can't tell if he is really scared or it is just a game, but once I do get him, he just shirt dives and when he is out, he almost always stays close to me unless he is on someone else. I think that he is more tame than bonded at this point, but it has only been 4 days so we will get there!
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

koji
Teen HOF

Postby koji » Sat May 20, 2006 7:29 am

do you just lift the box up and pick him up?

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sat May 20, 2006 9:14 am

koji wrote:do you just lift the box up and pick him up?

I would pull the nest box out of his cage, but the only good place for it is on a shelf that is not wide enough to support the whole box so I have it tied in so that it won't fall. Since I don't want to untie and tie the string every time, I just lift the lid and scoop him out while its still in the cage.
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Sat May 20, 2006 9:15 am

To Joan and others, when it is evening and he is active, he generally runs when I try to get him out. Is this a game or is he actually scared?
Chris

Proud HOF to Nieve

3-24-06

Thank you always Avalon!

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Sat May 20, 2006 11:10 am

He's being a flyer ... turns hyperactive Jack Russell at night.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

dianereichert
Juvie Pup

Postby dianereichert » Sat May 20, 2006 2:39 pm

I wear two shirts both tucked in so he can't slip out without my noticing and mine just loves to crawl within the shirts all over my torso and down my sleeves. The reason for two shirts is that as the nails feel GREAT on the back they can really tickle on the sides and on my belly. I put him inbeween the two layers. He craws around and eventually will go to sleep on me. When he peeks his head out I usually give him a pine nut or have a spoon with Dannon fruit yogart ready for him which he loves.

I have read people giving them treats such as junk food. I don't do that. With the tummy's being so little and the dietary needs being so large I only fill the tummy up on foods he loves that have value to his needs.

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”