How long before I can take Squirt out of my Shirt?

ECallaway
Juvie Pup
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

How long before I can take Squirt out of my Shirt?

Postby ECallaway » Sat May 13, 2006 12:57 pm

The bonding with Squirt and I is going really well. She practically crawls in my hand when I take her out of her cage and when it's time to go back she doesn't want to leave me and tries to run back up my arm into my shirt or just sit there on my hand thinking how great a perch Mommy's hand makes in her cage. I've had Squirt for about three weeks now. I work all day and can't take her with me, but as soon as I get home I take her out and walk around with her in my shirt till it's bedtime (about 3-4 hours).

My question is how long will it take for Squirt to be comfortable coming out of my shirt? The few trips she's taken on her own out from shirt she gets so frightened and pees and poops (I swear Squirt came potty trained, cause she holds it until she gets back in her cage and goes in the same corner everytime :multi: ) and has a escalating panic attack until shes safe back in my shirt.

She loves to peek out from my sleeve or neckline, but is terrified of being out in the open. How can I help her with this transition.

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Sat May 13, 2006 1:52 pm

Relax. When she's ready to explore further, she will, short distances at a time. Little by little she will spy things that catch her interest and she will work up the nerve to go check it out. Just let her take it at her own pace.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

BreezieGirl
Flying Furball

Postby BreezieGirl » Sat May 13, 2006 2:31 pm

Right. When Jasper was young, he never wanted to leave me either, but as he got a little older, and more comfortable with his surroundings, he wasn't scared at all to go off exploring. Even then though, he'd never get too far away from Mommy. :o Just give her time.
I'm glad Squirt's bonding with you so well. That's great. And it's awesome that she's potty trained!
~Kaylie
Owned by Jasper

In Loving Memory of My Sweet Little Mima :smt049

ECallaway
Juvie Pup

Postby ECallaway » Sat May 13, 2006 3:16 pm

Thank you, I need the confidence boosting! I've read everything on this site and I figured that as she got older she'd get bolder, but it never hurts to ask! And I know, ain't I lucky to have a potty trained Squirrel right out of the box??? :D

Just like all new Mommies I'm just afriad of doing something wrong.

This morning when I left for work at 5:00am she came running over to the side of the cage to greet me and actted like she wanted more interaction. It made it hard to leave.

Then I came home from work today and found Squirt in a new spot for the first time. Trouble is I don't know if she was stuck or there on purpose. I have a ferret tunnel strung across the top of her cage and she was in there. When she's older I'm sure it'll be easier for her to play in, but right now I think it's kind of a streach for her to get into from the side of her cage. When I called for her she gave a little squeak and looked scared. She was happy to let me rescue her...

Anita Rae
NFSA Member
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Anita Rae » Wed May 17, 2006 1:38 pm

Enjoy this, it won't last forever. She will be a flying ball of energy before you know it. This is the sweet stage later comes the swee/rascal stage.

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”