out of cage time questions

koji
Teen HOF
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

out of cage time questions

Postby koji » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:48 am

I want to let momo out of his cage, but I want to be sure he will not escape like my little incident in the bathroom, should I just let him roam free in a room? flyers are quick little suckers and i probably couldn't catch mine, what with all the furniutre being there and everything

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:52 am

I would take him out of his cage in the daytime and keep him in your shirt. They usually do not wander far from you because they don't like the light. I put some fleece strips down my shirt for Peanut to hide in too. At night when they are so active, I keep Peanut in his cage for safety reasons.
Mary

voguemamselle619
NFSA Member

Postby voguemamselle619 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:41 pm

mary, you don't let peanut run around at night? how does he get his exercise? i squirrel-proofed my room so batman can run around and do her own thing. they are so much fun when they are awake. a little bit crazy, but very playful! eventually you know where they will be if you can't find them for a minute. besides, at least with batman, she gets annoyed if she's ignored too long and so she comes out and finds me.
- alyssa -

- HOF to shylo... my pretty squirrel girl -

- in loving memory of batman, the best little princess i could have ever asked for -

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:45 pm

voguemamselle619 wrote:mary, you don't let peanut run around at night? how does he get his exercise? i squirrel-proofed my room so batman can run around and do her own thing.

Oh YES, Peanut gets out almost everynight and I have squirrel proofed my one room. After he gets tired of the small room we play in the living room where his cage is but he keeps wanting to go to the steps that lead to a not safe room. That is when he gets put back in the cage at night by the 3rd warning. He knows mom gets nervious when he gets near the stairs. :D

Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:17 pm

Darra wrote:When my DH built my office we made sure it was squirrel proofed. Before that, the room that I used was squirrel proofed. Its not that hard to do. Just take a little time and sometimes ingenuity.
I don't think I could keep mine caged all of the time.

Peanut is not in his cage that much unless I am in bed for the night or I have to go away and he can not come with me. I always like him close to me. I take him with me when we go to my brothers house too. I have a small travel cage in case he wants to venture to far..It is great to have for on the way home at night. I also take his nest box with me in his travel cage. It works out great. He is my little buddy and likes being in my shirt in the daytime and at night we play until mommy is ready for bed.
Mary

peep
NFSA Member

Postby peep » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:05 am

he keeps wanting to go to the steps that lead to a not safe room. That is when he gets put back in the cage at night by the 3rd warning. He knows mom gets nervious when he gets near the stairs.

I know what you mean. We had to install a door sweep on the bottom of the attic door, because Whiz loves to bound up and down the stairs to it. It's one of the few doors he could scoot under if he chose to.
peep
State and Federal permit holder

Judy C.

Postby Judy C. » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:28 am

I know what you mean about door problems! When we got our trailer, I had linoleum put down in every room, instead of carpet., so I have gaps big enough for a good sized possum to walk under! And, of course, the stupid doors are plastic. First chance I get, I'm going to replace them all with real wood doors, or at least cut a 2X4 to attach to the bottoms. But for now, I have big pillows stuffed under them. Since they are feather pillows, I am always surprised that the house doesn't look like a snowstorm hit while I was asleep! This is gonna be one messy house if they ever decide to start chewing!

Judy

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:23 pm

How do you enclose a stove and refrig to be squirrel safe? I have a open living room and kitchen. (And the steps in living room.) I still have more under the cupboard boards to close up. The cupboards come out away from the kick board and there is a open gap below the door to get under the bottom shelf of the cabinents.
I know my baby would have more fun in the living room then the total safe bedroom. He runs to the door to get out of there after about an hour and half. Too Cute.
Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:33 am

I keep showing Peanut where I sleep and he wants to run and will not stay on the bed very long at all. He is all over that bedroom and likes sitting on the one window sill grooming and looking outside and listening to the outside night sounds. When he wants out of my room he keeps running and jumping on the closed door to make it open. Then we come out and play in the living room for awhile and I am standing near his cage and keeping a very close eye on him. I become his tree and we finger wrestle and tickle. After awhile he gets more interested in "checking out" new places and I need him back in his cage at this point. I have tried taking him back to the bedroom but he wants more things to get into and keeps going to the door. He knows there is bigger space in living room to run and "hide".
Mary

Mary
NFSA Member

Postby Mary » Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:21 am

I tell him to slow down because its hard for me to keep an eye on him with his super sonic speed, but he is too busy seeing where else he is not allowed. :smt018
What a joy...
Mary

koji
Teen HOF

Postby koji » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:04 pm

I think the best place for him would be where his cage is, in my 2nd living room. My room has TOO many wires from electronic appliances

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”