New FS owner! Please help me with some questions! :-)

chevman17
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

New FS owner! Please help me with some questions! :-)

Postby chevman17 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:03 pm

Hello, my name is Tom. I just got a flying squirrel from an exotic pet ranch about 1 month ago. Her name in Penelope and she is about 10 months old... Me and my buddy have an apartment and she has her own cage with a ferret nest that has cotton in it. I have never owned a FS before and I want to do whats best for her to be a happy-go-lucky girl :o

I have a bonding question- We both work all day, and it seems that when I take her out after a long day work, she will hang out in my pocket, but eventually she will always run away back into her cage. The other thing is that she NEVER comes out of her house on her own.. I always have to reach in and grab her(which is a struggle). What activities can I do to make her want to be with me more? Sometimes I feel I am pushing the envelope, but if I dont take her out myself, she will never some out of her hut! How long should it take in my situation for her to fully adapt to us?

Another problem-- Everytime she is out and about, she pees and poops everywhere. I know she must do it in her cage soemtimes, but I never see it.
I have no idea how to "potty train" her. :(

I appreciate the help!!

-Tom, NJ-

koji
Teen HOF

Postby koji » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:56 pm

well you arent supposed to buy flyers older, its harder to bond with them that way, mine was 4 months old when i got mine. momo behaves the same way and jumps back in the house or pouch when i bring him out. he poops and pees in a certain spot of his cage though, i think yours will eventually find a place in the cage she likes to bathroom in.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: New FS owner! Please help me with some questions! :-)

Postby Joan » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:36 pm

[quote="chevman17"] ... I have a bonding question- We both work all day, and it seems that when I take her out after a long day work, she will hang out in my pocket, but eventually she will always run away back into her cage.

Older flyers do that, especially at night. Here's some ideas about bonding with older flyers: http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... 6fd0806bcf

The other thing is that she NEVER comes out of her house on her own.. I always have to reach in and grab her(which is a struggle).

Are you doing this during her sleeping or waking hours. You can scoop her cotton and all from the nestbox and put her in your shirt. Calling her while offering a pecan bit or other favorite treat may tempt her to climb out onto your hand to get it.

What activities can I do to make her want to be with me more?

Those involving treats.

Sometimes I feel I am pushing the envelope, but if I dont take her out myself, she will never some out of her hut! How long should it take in my situation for her to fully adapt to us?

Are you doing this during her sleeping or waking hours. You can scoop her cotton and all from the nestbox and put her in your shirt. Calling her while offering a pecan bit or other favorite treat may tempt her to climb out onto your hand to get it.

Another problem-- Everytime she is out and about, she pees and poops everywhere. I know she must do it in her cage soemtimes, but I never see it. I have no idea how to "potty train" her. :(

See: http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... e8e18bca23

Plus do a search on "Potty Training" for other ideas.

Older flyers take longer and more work, but it can be very rewarding. Just be consistent.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

chevman17

Postby chevman17 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:25 pm

Thanks for you help! We are trying a few new things and she is responding pretty well.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Great. Keep us up to date and let us know what seems to work best.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

krups1110
Teen HOF & NFSA Member

Postby krups1110 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:26 pm

Good luck! I am sure that you can get her there, but it will take time. The more time you put in, the better your relationship will be.
Chris
Proud HOF to Nieve
3-24-06
Thank you always Avalon!

chevman17

Postby chevman17 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:10 am

So, we tried moving her little hut from inside the cage to the lampshade next to the couch where we are most of the time. We also tried letting her free at night a few times... both times we lost her :-( Now she doesnt want to go in her cage at all. I feel like we spoiled her.

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”