Confession

Lora
NFSA Member
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

Confession

Postby Lora » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:07 pm

I have a confession to make. I'm scared to handle my squirrel! Bojangles is about 8-10 wks old. We've had him 1 month today. I work from home & up to now have been keeping him in my office with me. The first week we had him I was getting him out of the cage to feed him & he got away from me. Thank God my son was home from school that day & I had the presence of mind to throw some clothing down to block the bottom of the door. There are 5 cats on the other side of that door! I was terrified. Luckily my son was able to catch him as he made a mad dash to dive into the clothes pile. I've only handled him a couple times since then but was so nervous I had to stop. I think the hated being grabbed out of his cage anyway so I started just sitting in front of his cage, pulling his little box towards me & letting him come to me for his formula. I'm going to move him to our bedroom as soon as we can get it squirrel proofed before I try again. That way if he does get out at least he can't get hurt. I've also ordered a bonding pouch.

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:03 pm

I had that problem w/ Rogue at first. She wanted to be evrywhere but w/ me!
then I started to wear a turtel neck sweater and tuck it into my pants.
No matter how much she tryed, she just couln't get out.
After the first few days of that she settled down and stoped tryed to get out.
Now when I take her out all she wants is to get back in.
Of cource..I do kinda have it easy as Rogue physicaly can't climb up things w/o help anymore :(

Lora
NFSA Member

Confession

Postby Lora » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:21 pm

That's right, I think I remember reading you were wondering about a different type cage for her. I meant to reply to that. You might want to get a rat cage for her. They're not climbers either so there's more concentration on floor space and the bar spacing is the right size. In the meantime maybe some chinchilla ramps & ledges would help. Some of them are solid & all she'd have to do is walk up them. Thanks for your encouragement, I was feeling like a failure over here. Mr. Bojangles is a sweetie & I know he wants to come to me but my own fear is a barrier. Once I get him moved to a safe room & get a bonding pouch hopefully we'll be ok.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Re: Confession

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:44 pm

Lora wrote:I have a confession to make. I'm scared to handle my squirrel! Bojangles is about 8-10 wks old. ...The first week we had him I was getting him out of the cage to feed him & he got away from me. ... I've only handled him a couple times since then but was so nervous I had to stop. .. I'm going to move him to our bedroom as soon as we can get it squirrel proofed before I try again. That way if he does get out at least he can't get hurt. I've also ordered a bonding pouch.

I don't know any first time squammy that doesn't freak out when llittle furbal runs off. Once you have your room fixed, you'll feel less scared. But, the best thing you can do is carry him on your person. That helps with bonding. They are like toddlers though and want to venture out and explore, but if bonded will come looking for you if scared and will come when called ... or at least show himself. Bribes with treats for returning are good. Most flyers don't like bonding pouches; so don't be surprised if he doesn't. Handling him as much as possible is the trick.
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Lora
NFSA Member

Confession

Postby Lora » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:06 pm

Ok, soon as the room is fixed in the shirt he goes. I get the sense that if I'd let him he'd jump right on me now. He's gets so excited to see me. But I almost had a heart attack last time so it's gonna have to happen in a safer environment. There is way too much he can get into in this room but at least he can hear my voice all day & knows I'm here. Once he gets used to the shirt in the bedroom and I know he'll stay there I'll tote him in here with me some during the day. We are giving our bedroom the complete makeover, emptying bookshelves to make room for toys, etc. What do you guys do about the space under the door? I was thinking weather stripping.

Joan
Site Admin
nobotspam: No
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 4

Postby Joan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:17 pm

[quote="Lora"]... I get the sense that if I'd let him he'd jump right on me now. He's gets so excited to see me.
That's a sign of bonding.

Once he gets used to the shirt in the bedroom and I know he'll stay there I'll tote him in here with me some during the day.
Day time is a good time to start shirt training. If he starts to crawl out the neck, blow on him. Most will sleep all day in a shirt. At night, nothings going to keep him in. :D

What do you guys do about the space under the door? I was thinking weather stripping.
I bought cutable strips with adhesive backs at Home Depot and put them on doors I didn't want mine going under. Closet doors are a must ... you can hunt for hours in there. :roll:
"A lot of people spend time talking to the Animals, but not that many people listen. That's the real problem! ... Winnie the Pooh

Nativeprincess
Flying Furball

Postby Nativeprincess » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:42 am

Lora wrote: In the meantime maybe some chinchilla ramps & ledges would help.

Oooo, that might work. Right now I have little ladders wrapped in flece but she realy doesn't like them. Somthing more solid would be much better.
and there is no way your a failure. Once the 2 of you bond well there will be nothing he likes better than playing w/,on, under and around you. :D
I thought Rogue had gotten away earlyer tonight, and I was searching like mad in the closet, where I knew she had to have gone.
She heard moma rooting around and poped right out to find out why I was making such a fuss! Drives me nuts when she goes exsploring, But its cool how shell come back every few minuets to check up on me.
I suspect Mr. Bojangles(by the way, best name..ever) will give you slightly less reason to worry once he comes to find you as home base.

Return to “Bonding with Your FS”