One of my pet birds

Questions about the forum, comments, suggestions... and pretty much anything else, including other pets and interests.
Avalon
Flying Furball
How many feet does a squirrel have?: 1

One of my pet birds

Postby Avalon » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:36 am

We've had Coquito for 10 days now. She's the sweetest bird we've ever had.

Here's a picture of her napping on my blouse yesterday. She also likes to cuddle inside my blouse.

Coquito is a yellow sided green cheek conure.

We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
- Lucretius.

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:50 am

That is sooo sweet, Avalon. What a beautiful bird - how old is she?

I have a friend who rescued a 7-year-old love bird who had never been given much attention. Love birds are not generally known for their agreeable dispositions, but Janie has turned Oliver into the sweetest bird. Just like we do with our squirrels, Janie kept Oliver right on her body as much as possible - he goes inside her shirt and really loves to be on the back of her neck under her hair. She has the EXACT relationship with that bird that we have with our squirrels. I would have never thought that about birds, but it's obviously true - look at that picture!

Avalon
Flying Furball

Postby Avalon » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:03 am

Coquito was hatched in April. I have four birds and Coquito is the youngest. Pixel is the smallest she's a parrotlet. She's also the pit bull of the birds and I can't have her out at the same time my other birds are out.

Salsa is my oldest and largest. She's a Sun Conure. Then we also have Buttercup a cockatiel that hatched in March.

Most of the time I can have Buttercup, Salsa and Coquito out at the same time. Salsa and Coquito play together but I have to break up an occasional fight.

All of my birds have separate cages.

This is Coquito and Salsa getting along. A few minutes later Salsa was eating out of Coquito food cup in her cage and they started fighting.

This is Pixel. She hatched in March and is the smallest of the parrots. Her name means little parrot. She's smaller than a lovebird.

That was a wonderful accomplishment for your friend to be able to tame the lovebird.

I tell my friends we are featherbrains by day and the nuthouse at night.
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.
- Lucretius.

gwsgrand
NFSA Member

Postby gwsgrand » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:14 pm

Thank you so much for telling your story of your birds. They are such beauties. I love the one that is asleep on you. Some day I would love to have a small bird that would really stay on me. Do they ever talk? My grandmother had one that would say what ever she would and I just loved it.
:queen: Ms. BayBea Belle, :tink: Tinkerbelle,
:fly: Linus, :occasion2: Baby Oops, and :love1: Daphne

Gail's (Deep South Home for Flyer Foundlings )

Leah
Flying Furball

Postby Leah » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:02 pm

Ha, ha! Can't get away from the poop no matter what you do!

Janie has a "poop cape" that she wears around her shoulders - it's hysterical!

RebeccaMarieUCF
Flying Furball

Postby RebeccaMarieUCF » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:23 pm

Hey! I added your livejournal to my friends in lj....hope ya dont mind...mine is "singtotheking" if you wanna add me too, also, I'm part of a squirrel lovers group if ya wanna join...they post great pics all the time!
My first furbaby:
Cali >^..^

Avalon
Flying Furball

Postby Avalon » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:54 pm

Darra wrote:
Do they ever talk?

My Momma taught a parakeet to talk. It takes a lot of patience.
Avalon, I think it is so sweet that she wants to stay on you the same awy the squirrels do but I was wondering if they go back to their cage to poop?
I saw Judy's parrotlet and thought it was the cutest thing! I would love to have one but I am cleaning up so much squirrel poo now I was wondering about "potty" training a parrotlet.

I'm not sure about potty training a parrotlet. I had parakeets that talked and one that barked like the dog. I have some shoulder aprons and I keep tissue on hand to pick up the messes right away. There is a place on the web that sells birdie diapers. I'm going to order some for Coquito. BTW my philosophy has always been the bigger the bird the bigger the mess.

Pixel's messes are small. She uses her Happy Hut at night to sleep in. It's almost the same color as her.
- Lucretius.

Avalon
Flying Furball

Postby Avalon » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:02 pm

RebeccaMarieUCF wrote:Hey! I added your livejournal to my friends in lj....hope ya dont mind...mine is "singtotheking" if you wanna add me too, also, I'm part of a squirrel lovers group if ya wanna join...they post great pics all the time!

I did add you to my friends on LJ awhile back. I'm also a member on LJ of the SquirrelLovers community. They do have good pictures.
- Lucretius.

heather
Baby Flyer

Postby heather » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:25 am

awwww...what a sweetie! I love it when they are cuddly. I am a bird lover as well. I have an african grey and a blue headed pionus. I will have to get pics on here of them!

heather
"The more I am around people, the more I like my pets!"

crystal3

Postby crystal3 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 1:48 pm

My hubby has wanted a bird for a long time, I have never really been much of a bird lover myself but those birds look so sweet! I really like the little one...pixel. what a pretty color!
Crystal

HOF of 2 angels
Petrie 11/05
Piper 01/05
:love9:

Moca
Flying Furball

Postby Moca » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:24 am

gwsgrand wrote:. Some day I would love to have a small bird that would really stay on me. t.

I have a hand raised java sparrow that does stay on me...
Ive also had parakeets growing up who did the same.And a java whom i finger trained who liked me a lot...Pippin (hand raised) is quite the charactor.
Birds can make awsome pets.
Protect wildlife,keep ye cat indoors.
www.abcbirds.org
:coffee: Moca

Return to “All the rest”